XSeeD watch 2015.

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

XSeeD watch 2015.

Postby R-90-2 » Mon Jan 19, '15, 8:45 pm

Hello folks! for those of you who follow XSeeD games, (AKA Working Designs with actual business sense), it has been a good couple of years, and 2015 is looking even better, even if you're just counting Falcom games, like I do.

First off, the PSP remake of Brandish: The Dark Revenant was released on PSN earlier this month, the much needed redo of the first game in the Brandish dungeoncrawler RPG series. The SNES port which was localized way back when was terrible, so this one is likely to be better just by pure probability.

Second, Trails in the Sky Part 2 is probably coming around April or May, so those of you who are still playing part one should probably finish up- you can port your clear data saves from part 1 to 2, and there are some pretty nice bonuses if you do. A PSP release is also possibly on the way, for those folks who have been waiting way too long for part 2.

Third, for the people who have ever been fans of the Harvest Moon Seires, Story of Seasons will be dropping next month for the 3DS. While not under the Harvest Moon name, it is still technically under the same umbrella.

As for future releases, XSeeD has registered a number of new domains, including one for the Falcom action RPG Xanadu NEXT, as well as "Trails of Cold Steel", which may very well be the working English title for Zero no Kiseki, the next game that takes place in the same world as Trails in the Sky/Sora no Kiseki. Also, in their yearly teaser image, fans have deduced that one of the images conclusively belongs to Geis, so we may be seeing a Steam release of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Re: XSeeD watch 2015.

Postby Zio_Falz » Tue Jan 20, '15, 2:01 am

Huge Falcom fan, so of course I welcome this news just as I have welcomed the several Ys sequels and ports in the past 2 years.
I wonder though, what you mean by Working Designs? This company has nothing to do with them, correct?

I grew up on games published by Working Designs, and even when The Turbo Duo and Sega CD were floundering, I still enjoyed several gains on the systems just because of Working Designs alone.

And whether games that have good localization meaning that they really catered to gamers of that era with regards to quality both in game and the game packaging itself with fuzzies or stickers or soundtracks; I can't say that I am a fan of their translations or more specifically their attempts to cater to, humor or try to reimagine jokes are puns that may have been otherwise impossible to translate it all within games or because of the censors which are often senseless.

And of course I realize that most of those jokes would've been just as bad or almost as bad as toilet humor, if they had not been changed, but something inside of me prefers a bad translation of a bad joke rather than a good translation of a bad joke if that makes sense at all (since I realize it doesn't make sense even after typing it.) But at least I'm not joking, haha.

Good news regardless.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Re: XSeeD watch 2015.

Postby R-90-2 » Tue Jan 20, '15, 3:55 am

Basically, I mean it as XSeeD has stepped in as a localizer of games that wold not have necessarily seen the light of day in the West for a number of reasons, either because the Japanese developer is either too small, the games itself a bit off-beat, or the company isn't all much interested in the business of PC games themselves anymore (Falcom). It's a role that was filled by WD in the past- I find it rather doubtful that anyone would've picked Silhouette Mirage as a possible winner.

Of course, XSeeD is generally much better at the whole localization thing in terms of quality of writing, and has built up some ties to the fan translation community, and they also resist the urge to much about with the actual mechanics of the games they bring over.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Return to In the News