Random Fact of the Day

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Heikabuchi » Tue Nov 25, '08, 3:14 pm

Indeed, we can all be thankful that Vikings (and dinosaurs) no longer roam the earth.

NEW FACT!
Did you know that the earliest forms of paper were in use in Egypt around 3500 BC? That's over 4000 years ago!
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 25, '08, 9:50 pm

I knew it was in Egypt, but not that long ago. They really had all sorts of interesting inventions back then.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Heikabuchi » Mon Dec 1, '08, 3:08 pm

NEW FACT!
Did you know that the color red was sacred to the Paleolithic people? It was so sacred, in fact, that a tribe would send a few men or women out to in forests to retrieve the rare minerals required to make red. This required the men or women to be put in harms way. The predatory animals were much larger in their day, and much more dangerous. The trek between the tribes home base, and the red mineral could be as long as 5 miles. All the same, the sacrifice was justified.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby luke » Mon Dec 1, '08, 6:04 pm

EVEN NEWER FACT!
a lep is a ball.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Dec 1, '08, 9:51 pm

Interesting fact on the color red and the lengths they went to acquire the ingredients necessary to make it.

I would think that the color red was very special to many tribes, peoples, etc., since it is the color of blood and blood is very special to life and honored by so many.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 2, '08, 12:02 pm

Very interesting about the color and lep. ;) I didn't know either of those. It's kind of hard to wrap my head around the idea of a color being sacred. They were really dedicated to it from the sound of things, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Dec 9, '08, 6:52 am

lol, I learned that beer is actually bacteria poo! XD Yummy, doesn't that make you feel good. No wonder people get drunk. XDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Dec 9, '08, 10:37 pm

SparkyIII wrote:lol, I learned that beer is actually bacteria poo! XD Yummy, doesn't that make you feel good. No wonder people get drunk. XDD

:yuck: And that's one reason you won't find me drinking beer any more? :wink:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Celeith » Tue Dec 9, '08, 11:49 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:any more?

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Heikabuchi » Thu Dec 11, '08, 4:45 pm

lol... xD Yeah, when beer ferments, it, for lack of better word, farts. These farts are actually toxic to humans, so we don't react very well to them. =P

NEW FACT!!

Did you know that some beer was brewed on old, wooden ships? THe problem with brewing this beer, was that fermentation requires a warm vat so the yeast can incubate. The reason that this was a problem is because wooden ships were very drafty, so the beer couldn't ferment the way that it usualy does. Interestingly enough, steam rose from the vats, and the beer tasted slightly salty from the sea brreaze and the term "Steam Beer" was given to this strange creation. It's still brewed today, and most often found in England. =)
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation