Random Fact of the Day

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Celeith » Thu Nov 20, '08, 11:18 pm

That would be interesting if we discovered the Earth was older then we think. Another question comes to mind when you say that Egypt probably barren and then covered by sand. What if when all the continents were one huge continent the area known as Egypt was beginning to become a area much like the Desert of Death from Breath of Fire 3. Now just hear me out, what if when they were all connected the area of Egypt began to turn into the Desert of Death and was about to spread to all of the world. But then when the continents split apart the deserts march was halted by the ocean, making it stop where it was. But now that I think about it if we went with that logic wouldn't it of already spread to the other parts of Africa?
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Heikabuchi » Fri Nov 21, '08, 5:04 pm

You bring up an extremely interesting point. When an area loses it's trees, it can no longer hold the ground together. If there's nothing to hold the ground together, the dirt becomes very loose and eventually turns to sand. If Africa separated from Egypt, then it would make sense that there were no trees to protect Egypt's ,(hypothetical)once tropical, soil.

NEW FACT!
Did you know that the ancient civilization that existed in what we know as the Neolithic era made the first large-scale urban environment called Catal Huyuk (Shi-tall High-yûk) that supported a population of 5,000 people? Each housing unit had two rooms: a living space, and a cooking space. The conception of the cooking space is what allowed the Neolithic people to create a city in the first place. It contained an stove, and even more astonishing, a pantry.
The city had no walls, because they had no reason to make them. They had no conflict with any outside for, or internal arguments amongst themselves. This astonishing peace lasted over 3,000 years.
The city's only entrance was a ladder. This was because predatory animals could not climb, and no other tribes had a reason to attack the citizens of Catal Huyuk.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 21, '08, 6:33 pm

Wow. It's hard to believe they were able to last so long, especially without being attacked by someone.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Fri Nov 21, '08, 11:24 pm

Too bad the modern day countries aren't so peaceful. XD Cool fact! Wish I could've seen such a place~

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Nov 21, '08, 11:54 pm

Ah, another interesting fact and city. Sometimes I think we can learn so much from peoples of the past by some of the miraculous things they did and with very little to do it with. We have so much today and can accomplish so much in many areas but there are still some things that should be so simple that we seem to have such a hard time doing. Sounds like it was very peaceful in that place - extraordinary in itself. :yaknow:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Schala Zeal » Sat Nov 22, '08, 1:41 pm

Peace that lasted over 3000 years... That sounds great~
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Heikabuchi » Mon Nov 24, '08, 6:23 pm

I know, isn't it absolutely amazing? Just think of how wonderful life must have been.

NEW FACT!!
Did you know that up until the fall of Rome(ca. 500 a.d), women were only considered warriors in the sense that they could defend their cities? It was up to the men to attack. However, the Barbarian tribes that attacked and eventually conquered Rome were the first recorded society to include a class of women who participated in battle. Among these barbarian tribes, where the Norse, Celtic, and Huns. While they all worshiped nature out of fear for it, the Norse gods are the most well known. Among these gods are Thor, Loki, and Odin. Thor, being the most well known name, will be observed during this RFD (Random fact of the day). Did you know that Mjolnir (mole-neer) is the name of Thors hammer? Yes, that say suit of armor worn by Master Chief in Halo 3 is named after the thunder deity. Anyhow, Thor was worshiped in mainstream up until the Roman Orthodox Catholic's converted those Norwegian sea-dogs to Christianity, but that came about 600 years after the fall of Rome. Germanic and Norwegian pagans prayed to Thor and other gods for protection. It is believed that Thor, in particular, was prayed to because he controlled the wrath of the skies i.e thunder and lighting. Barbarians feared nature and all it's bounty because they were exposed it it on a daily basis. Being forest dwelling and sea-fairing peoples, it was only natural that they would pray to a being that could control the forces that could kill them.
We've all seen the stereotypical viking ships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Viking,_replica_of_the_Gokstad_Viking_ship,_at_the_Chicago_World_Fair_1893.jpg.) The fierce dragon on the prow, the sails that look like dragon wings, etc. When you contrast this to the RFD regarding Athena Nike (sculpture) and how it was placed on the prow of Roman naval vessels, we are presented with a very interesting spectacle. Athena Nike is a graceful, mimetic, and victory inspiring figure. In contrast, the prow of most Viking ships were adorned with the head of a dragon with it's teeth bared, eyes bulged, and ears pinned back; all of which are the traits of an animal that is about to attack. This was a psychological tool that instilled fear into those who saw it. Just imagine: You and a friend are collecting clams at the ocean shore. It's morning, so theres still fog rolling off the incoming waves, so you don't see it completely, but you think you can make out the hazy outline of a large object in the fog. You shrug it off for the first minute and collect another handful of clams. That's when you take another glance and your eyes bulge in terror at the image they are met with; the head and foggy outline of a massive creature, like the ones the old fishermen tell stories of down by the dock. The sea monster moves toward the shore at a medium pace cutting through the fog with that sleek head of his. It moves closer, and now you see the wings; giant red bolts that flap against the same sea breeze that waves over your face. You're about to run back home and alert the town watchman to sound the alarm, thus calling the Roman army to arms, but you now notice that what once was a sea monster, is now a ship. If these pirates build their ship in the shape of a sea monster, then who knows how ferocious they are? So, you make the ten minute run to town, the watchman sounds the alarm, and the Roman army rallies. This entire process takes around 20 minutes. Sadly, the Viking ship has already anchored, and it's crew of 100-200 foreign brutes have already began their rampage through your town.

This lasted from ca. 500-1100 a.d
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 24, '08, 8:11 pm

I did know a good bit of that about Thor (yay, comics!), but the rest is new to me. Very interesting stuff!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Mon Nov 24, '08, 8:40 pm

:yes: :dizzy: A lot of info to take in~ XD
[quote= "Heikabuchi"]Did you know that Mjolnir (mole-neer) is the name of Thors hammer?[/quote]
I've heard of that, but I had no idea how to pronounce it. Thank's for the heads up!

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 24, '08, 10:32 pm

I knew about Thor's hammer too. I think there used to be a cartoon with Thor years and years ago on Saturday mornings, or something like that. Anyway, some of that was familiar.

Vikings were certainly dangerous people, but very fascinating also.

Tremendously glad the roles of women have changed over the years and there are no barriors holding them back in this day and age. Well, maybe some still exist in some places, but not as many as there once was. :clap:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation