Taxing Students

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Should students be taxed?

Yes
No votes
No
83%
Undecided
17%
Other - explain in post below
No votes

Total votes : 6

Taxing Students

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 16, '09, 4:44 pm

It looks like Pittsburgh wants to start taxing students tuitions, etc., :

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/ ... titialskip

Some other states may already be doing this, or atleast be thinking of doing something similar also.

What do you think of this?

Do you think students should be taxed on tuitions, etc.?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Taxing Students

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Nov 17, '09, 5:57 am

Well, something like this would affect all students, regardless of whether they live on or off-campus. And it's TOTAL bullcrap that students in Pittsburgh don't pay anything for city services...the University of Pittsburgh includes a lot of those costs in tuition already. For example, they make a lump sum payment to the Port Authority (runs Pittsburgh public transit), include that as part of a cost of tuition, and then Pitt students ride the bus lines for "free" by presenting Pitt ID (though the PA will soon be requiring scanning ID cards, to reduce students using expired IDs). I know Carnegie-Mellon students get the same service from their school, others I'm not sure of. Students already pay ENOUGH, tuition cost is only rising, and if you let students pay for services by bulk in tuition, we get a LITTLE more money for consumption to help the city economy. Congratulations on proposing something to make college even LESS affordable. -_-
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 17, '09, 4:27 pm

I voted " NO " in the poll, and I do not think students should be taxed.

Really, there are enough taxes on people now as it is, I think. I see this as just another way of trying to make money off people, even college kids and possibly their parents, family, etc.

For some families it is hard enough simply to get into college and keep going what with all the associated costs, etc., so why make it even harder on someone trying to get an education to help better themselves. Isn't that what is important to most Americans....that our kids be as fully educated as can possibly be?

You know I really do see the need for some taxes, etc., but for the most part, I wish they could just do away with taxes period! I suppose then the government, etc., would have to stop paying millions of dollars for simple items such as a hammer or toilet seat and the like, though (if you remember the dialog from the movie "Independence Day"). :yaknow:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 17, '09, 4:44 pm

There's really no need for this tax. It's hard enough to come up with money for college - most of it comes from scholarships and grants already. I doubt those funds can be applied to taxes too, which creates another barrier for people looking to get the education they need to succeed in this world. Making it harder to get the skills for a good job is only going to drive students away from the city.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Nov 20, '09, 4:39 pm

Being a student in Pittsburgh, I got an e-mail from GSPIA's student cabinet this morning with a link to a petition to sign against this tax. Guess what? I signed it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby PathfinderCS » Sat Nov 21, '09, 12:52 pm

I guess I'm neutral on this one. I mean I don't like it all that much either, but I can see why they would so it.

Besides, I was taxed for my tuition last year.
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Return to Casual Conversation