Walmart brings back items

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Walmart brings back items

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 14, '11, 9:40 am

Walmart has decided to bring back thousands of products that were previously removed from their store in a new campaign to try and recapture customers and sales, etc. This will include many food items but also other item types as well.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... e-cnnmoney

This is good news for all those customers who saw their favorite products/items disappear from the store. Count me in on that group. :x

However, will this new strategy by Walmart work in satisfying customers, or has the damage already been done??
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Walmart brings back items

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 15, '11, 2:50 am

It'll be interesting to see what they bring back. We get a lot of groceries at Wal-mart because they tend to have the lowest prices, but over the past year or two they've stopped carrying a lot of items we always bought. So now we're having to shop at two stores, minimum, to get everything we used to find at one. It would be nice to cut that down. It would certainly save some time.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Fri Apr 15, '11, 6:49 am

Thoul wrote:We get a lot of groceries at Wal-mart because they tend to have the lowest prices, but over the past year or two they've stopped carrying a lot of items we always bought. So now we're having to shop at two stores, minimum, to get everything we used to find at one.

Do we live in the same town? :D This is what my family goes through, too. It does seem that many familiar grocery items have disappeared from Wal-Mart in the last couple of years. I'm not even talking about junk food or soda and such. Pastas, spices, condiments and even herbs (those packaged kind in the produce section) have all been vanishing, to the point where we have to keep a tally of what ingredients from our favorite recipes are at what stores.

The article said more localized products will be back, too. I'd love to see a return of more fresh seafood at our Wal-Mart. We're really not that far from the coast, after all.

I'm not a huge Wal-Mart fan, but we have two choices in our town: Wal-Mart or Food Lion. The next closest supermarket is probably 15 miles away.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 19, '11, 9:03 pm

My town has an abundance of supermarkets, so there's a lot of competition in that field here. We've got Wal-Mart, Kroger, Ingles, two Food Lions, Piggly Wiggly, and a large locally operated place. Plus a ton of Dollar General and Family Dollar stores that carry a few of the basics. In the past few years, a few other grocery stores in the area have gone out of business because they couldn't keep up with all these others.

As a shopper, this really keeps us on our toes. We usually go to the local place first because they have some unique items or stuff we always get that is priced lower (even though they mark everything up 10%). Wal-Mart is less than a minute down the road, so that's next and where we get most of the typical groceries. Then we stop at Ingles, which is on the way home, for the stuff Wal-Mart no longer carries. Ingles is getting bad about dropping products too though, so I'm not sure how long that will hold out. And finally there's occasionally a stop at a Dollar General near the house for cat food if Wal-Mart was out.

After all that, we're usually exhausted when we get home. It'll be a lot easier if Wal-Mart brings back the stuff we have to get at Ingles now. Wal-Mart was always lowered priced on that stuff, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Delectable Delicacies