Super Smash Brothers: Brawl

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 11, '08, 4:04 am

Alright, it's out! :hyper: But I don't have it, and I probably never will unless I get lucky enough to feel like I can afford a Wii; if I ever do a get one, this'll be the first game I get.

I was able to play the Japanese version a couple weeks before the American release, so I know I love the game and I'm kind of looking forward to going back to school because I'll be able to play it again. But there's a good chance my boyfriend will be visiting later this week to head back to school with me, and he's bringing his Wii.

From what I played....awesome game, if you like the other Smash games. I really had no serious complaints about anything when I played. The full roster contains 35 characters, so it should be pretty easy for anyone to find at least one character that really fits their style. I still don't know how many stages there are total, but you've got everything from flat platforms to crazy levels like Warioware to levels with platforms that keep breaking like Skyworld. And of course, with items that do all sorts of wacky things, the flow of battle can change in an instant to add a little extra insanity to things.

Final comment: Pit...rules. :king:

Has anyone here gotten/played Brawl? If so, what do you think?

Info link:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 11, '08, 7:39 am

I haven't gotten it yet, but I might later. I just got the Gamecube installment not very long ago, so I'm sort of tired of Smash Bros right now. I may pick up brawl later in the year though. I'd like to try out some of those characters.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Mar 11, '08, 7:35 pm

I'm rather desperate for Brawl. Maybe not to the point where I'll fight someone for it, but I'll dash for the last copy.

I've been following the site for a while, and I've seen pictures and heard information on the final roster. Personally, I disagree with their choices in chracters. While I do applaud of them bringing back most of the Melee characters (Mr. Game and Watch FTW...), I find their new sets rather odd-balled and unwanted by those whom I've talked to. Toon Link, R.O.B.*, and Lucario are among them, no to mention Captain Olimar.

I hate to bad-mouth the company that got me addicted in the first place, but I'm not agreeing with the choices they've made in the last year or so. This is one of them.

*(Seriously, do they believe that many kids will know where the heck R.O.B. came from? Most will probably say 'Mario Kart DS', him being an unlockable rider on there.)
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Reno » Tue Mar 11, '08, 9:58 pm

Well, I'm certain most kids won't know R.O.B.'s true origin, (although Mr. Game and Watch is actually older and more obscure!) but I think the Smash series, (since the trophy thing from Melee) is really Nintendo's Love letter to it's old-time fans. That's why it makes sense to me that they're going after all these strange characters that aren't necessarily popular, but are still a part of Nintendo's long history.

Speaking of Company love letters, I can't wait to try out Sega Superstar Tennis!
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Mar 12, '08, 12:09 am

DrkTr14ce wrote:Personally, I disagree with their choices in chracters. While I do applaud of them bringing back most of the Melee characters (Mr. Game and Watch FTW...), I find their new sets rather odd-balled and unwanted by those whom I've talked to. Toon Link, R.O.B.*, and Lucario are among them, no to mention Captain Olimar.

I both agree and disagree with you. I think Toon Link was unnecessary...I just don't really care for clone characters and he's probably a Link clone. I think R.O.B. is funny, especially when you consider it's a piece of equipment and not even a character! :D And Olimar...awesome. He plays so differently and Pikmin is another Nintendo franchise that deserves to be represented. As for Lucario...I'm mixed on him. I wish instead of putting him in they would've just left Mewtwo in instead, or even just had one less Pokemon character.

For the most part, I'm happy with the final roster. I think that if I could change one character, I'd replace Lucario with Mewtwo; Mewtwo is probably better known and was around when Pokemon was wildly, obscenely popular.

Reno wrote:Well, I'm certain most kids won't know R.O.B.'s true origin, (although Mr. Game and Watch is actually older and more obscure!) but I think the Smash series, (since the trophy thing from Melee) is really Nintendo's Love letter to it's old-time fans. That's why it makes sense to me that they're going after all these strange characters that aren't necessarily popular, but are still a part of Nintendo's long history.

I really had no idea what R.O.B. was until I learned he was in Brawl. And I was actually afraid they would cut Game and Watch out of Brawl, so I'm thrilled he's in. He's just so funny. I'm glad that Nintendo is bringing back all these old characters that are obscure like R.O.B., Game and Watch, and even Pit. Pit's not been in his own game since 1991. Since then, he's only made a few cameos and now he's a playable character here, and he seems to be a bit of a standout.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 12, '08, 12:50 am

They need to throw in the Power Glove. It would be just like the Hand guy, but only a thousand times more cool.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Celeith » Wed Mar 12, '08, 7:01 pm

hopfully with this new appearance of Pit they'll possibly make more games featuring him in the future. I'm glad they brought in Isaac (Golden Sun 1 Hero) and Lyn (Fire Emblem Lord) in as Assist trophies but I would really of loved having them as playable characters. But seeing Isaac on this there might be a slim chance of a Golden Sun 3 since the 2nd one left so many questions unanswered when you beat the game.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Mar 12, '08, 7:55 pm

Kaloes wrote:hopfully with this new appearance of Pit they'll possibly make more games featuring him in the future.

There are rumors floating around of a Kid Icarus game for the Wii, but they're just rumors. But who knows, maybe they will revive the franchise.

Wolf Bird

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 12, '08, 8:31 pm

Hm, that might be a good use of the Wii Zapper. It doesn't exactly imitate a bow, but it's easier to use than the bow method Sega used in Mario & Sonic at the Olympics.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Mar 14, '08, 2:14 pm

Well, I've been playing Brawl now that my boyfriend is visiting....AWESOME!

Few comments...first, the balance is incredible. I tried every character (except Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf, due to them not being unlocked yet) and there is no one at a great disadvantage. Every character has strengths compensating weaknesses. I thought melee's balance was good, but this game's balance just...wow.

Now, the characters. Pit is definitely my favorite. I love everything about him and he fits my playing style so well. I also love Ike; he's probably the second slowest character in the game, but he's incredibly powerful and this makes up for his slowness. He also does not flinch very easily, so he can pull off those slow attacks even when being hit. My third is probably Diddy Kong...I normally don't care much for the faster characters, but Diddy is just a lot of fun because he's so unique. And he's a monkey, how can you not love that? :wink: My fourth is Bowser...he's like Ike, in some ways, slow and powerful, except even more extreme.

I've also been able to look at subspace emissary, the event matches, and mess around with the stage builder, which is so much fun to play with.

Wolf Bird

Next

Return to General Gaming