Puzzle of the Soldiers' Temple

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Puzzle of the Soldiers' Temple

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 21, '07, 5:17 am

When I was playing through the beginning of PSIV again not long ago, I came across this fellow in Krup who says:
That lake there? It was created by a meteor that struck the planet. The crater filled with water long ago. Unbelievable, huh?

But, sticking up out of this same lake is a tall island topped with an ancient looking building, the Soldiers' Temple. We're also told later that Lutz stored the aero-prism in that same temple.

So I ask you, how can both of these be true? If a meteor struck with enough force to make a lake, how did this island survive? It should have been leveled along with everything else in the crater. The temple would be dust too, unless it was built later.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Fri Sep 21, '07, 11:35 am

Perhaps the meteor struck sometime before the temple was built. Also, the island's closer to the edge of the lake than the center, (you can see it from Krup) so it is somewhat believable.

Now, if the island was dead smack in the center of the lake, that wouldn't make any sense at all. :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Sep 22, '07, 2:24 am

It must have been built after the meteor hit, because it would be impossible to have a mountain outcrop in the middle of a crater before the meteor impact. That's a very astute question you've asked, Thoul.

It implies some sort of volcanism after the meteor impact, and then the construction of the Temple sometime after PSII to store the Aeroprism there. Then again, this is PS, perhaps the Espers have even more impressive powers than we know of. If you can warp from one planet to another, perhaps you could make a mountain too!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 22, '07, 4:39 pm

Also, the island's closer to the edge of the lake than the center

Right, but this is part of why it doesn't make sense for the island to have survived the meteor impact. If it did, the space between the island and the edge of the lake should have been shielded from the impact by the island. In this case, the lake should stop at the island, but instead it extends all the way around the island.

It implies some sort of volcanism after the meteor impact, and then the construction of the Temple sometime after PSII to store the Aeroprism there. Then again, this is PS, perhaps the Espers have even more impressive powers than we know of. If you can warp from one planet to another, perhaps you could make a mountain too!

Interesting theories! A volcano hadn't even occurred to me, but it does make sense for those to exist on a hot, desert planet.

The Esper idea seems like a stretch, but I guess that is possible, too. Hm, I suppose that in PS, "a wizard did it" is really an acceptable explanation. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Sep 23, '07, 1:56 am

Thoul wrote:The Esper idea seems like a stretch, but I guess that is possible, too. Hm, I suppose that in PS, "a wizard did it" is really an acceptable explanation. :lol:
I thought it was too, seeming as we have no evidence an Esper can do such a thing. The idea doesn't get past the "possible" stage. What is the most spectacular feat we see an Esper perform? I'm probably forgetting a great deal of events, but all I can think of is Rune blowing up some rocks in front of Tonoe. :D If that's the case, then there's no way an Esper made a mountain. :idea: Oh, this gives me an idea of how to deal with Lassic/La Shiec's reappearance in PSIV for my fan game even though it's completely unrelated to everything here. Funny how ideas connect sometimes! :wink:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Sun Sep 23, '07, 11:29 pm

Rune's display is the most memorable thing we see from any Esper, but I honestly can't recall another out-of-battle power display. Rune's feat was pretty impressive considering it was just a Flaeli spell, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 24, '07, 1:14 am

Thoul wrote:Rune's display is the most memorable thing we see from any Esper, but I honestly can't recall another out-of-battle power display. Rune's feat was pretty impressive considering it was just a Flaeli spell, though.
So there's a lot of room for interpretation of how powerful an Esper can become... I'll keep this in mind for the future.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Return to Phantasy Star IV