Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 

Will a pumpkin shortage affect you in any way?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Undecided 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other - explain in post below. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Pumpkin Pie shortage
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, '09, 3:50 pm 
Heard on the radio this morning that there may be a pumpkin pie shortage this Thanksgiving season due to all the rain we've had this past year. The rain was bad on the pumpkin crops. Also here's an online story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34044358/ns ... s-food_inc

I never knew that Nestle/Libby sold almost all the canned pumpkin. Very interesting.

So better buy your can pumpkin now while you still can. :yes:

Will this pumpkin shortage affect you in any way...yes or no?

Post subject: Re: Pumpkin Pie shortage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, '09, 1:00 pm 
I usually don't eat any, so no big deal here. I find it odd that having too much rain caused such a problem, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 4, '09, 6:13 pm 
Pumpkin :yuck:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, '10, 10:02 pm 
Bumping this thread up for 2010.

It looks like the pumpkin / pumpkin pie shortage is finally over, and there will be plenty of pumpkins this year for all those holiday pies and other pumpkin activities. :happy_marle:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... over_N.htm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, '10, 10:15 pm 
Some farmer down the road from me has a whole field covered in pumpkins. Some are rather large, too. I think he's trying to sell them, but it looks like no one is buying. They've been out there for a week and if any have moved, it's not very many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, '10, 11:15 pm 
At least around here, it's been a good year for pumpkins. But according to my supervisor, who's lived here for years, they're quite early this year. Glad the shortage is out...I like pumpkin pie. I know there's a farmer's market near here on Tuesdays, and I may go there after work tomorrow to see if I can find some.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, '10, 9:04 am 
I don't think I've ever eaten pumpkin pie. Actually I think I've never eaten any pumpkin at all. Is it good?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, '10, 1:30 pm 
It's definitely got a unique flavor. But if you like squash, you'd probably like pumpkin. It's something you have to try to find out, as I can't think of anything besides squash that has an even close to comparable flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, '10, 3:20 pm 
I've eaten squash (zucchini to be precise), I don't remember it being particularly tasty. I didn't know it was named after the sport by the way.

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]