PSIV Slashers

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Re: PSIV Slashers

Postby H-Man » Fri Oct 1, '10, 5:35 pm

I practically never put my heroes solely on defense. Kyra's slashers may not be strong, but gosh darn it, I'll have her slashing whatever poor monster goes up against her. :)
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Xander » Fri Oct 1, '10, 5:39 pm

Shes' actually quite good to take for the fight with PD, IMO. Or Hahn. While Raja is a great healer and can give you back your TP, I feel that a good stock of Sol Dew, Star Dew and Rika's abilities work better overall.
Plus, like Hahn, she can help churn out and extra combo attack if need be. And her slashers are very useful too. She does a respectable amount of damage with 2.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Tanith » Sat Oct 2, '10, 4:50 am

I thought slashers were quite balanced in PSIV. It's only fair that if a blade is going to go through every enemy on the screen that its damage output be less than one hit of a sword against one enemy.

I never used shields on Kyra. She was a pretty tough cookie without them, and her slashers were useful in Garuberk. Her lack of agility made her less reliable for combo attacks, so I mostly had her on healing duties against DF2. I've never taken her through The Edge. She doesn't have Ataraxia. :p
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Sun Oct 3, '10, 8:54 am

Bah! After a few levels Ataraxia isn't really needed. :p I find that, on my levels, TP is in plentiful supply for the most part. At around 47-52 Rune has all his special abilities to use as well, leaving a ton of TP for him. Chaz normally tuns out fast if you use Megid a lot though, but by then his special skills will last the fight without any trouble. And Rika usually runs out of TP fast if you get spammed with Megid by PD and keep using Nasar, unless you have a ton of Star Dew. :p

Ummm what were we talking about? Oh yeah! Why Kyra and Hahn are better choices than Raja. Well not really I guess. Hahn and Kyra are great for adding extra punch to your party. But then Raja has Ataraxia, Miracle and Regen. I'd say you should take him if you're on a lower elvel anyway. You'll need his skills then.

Oh and the slashers are awesome too, both in the Garuberk Tower and on the surface of Dezoris. :p
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Erpy » Tue Mar 29, '11, 10:05 pm

I generally give Kyra two slashers while doing dungeon trips and give her two reflective shields when facing a boss. (slashers are useless in boss fights anyhow and her hewn is significantly stronger than a slasher attack...and two reflective shields make her a extremely resistant to damage of any kind)

In fact, it's a good idea, when you're about to fight Dark Force 2 at the top of Garuberk tower, to unequip her moon slasher and hold onto it. That way, when she rejoins at the end, you can equip her with two moonslashers right off the bat without having to scout The Edge for it.

That said, I usually don't put her and Wren in a macro because Chaz and Rika are both much faster than Kyra who frequently gets preempted by enemies.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Postby Sain Cai » Wed Nov 2, '11, 11:54 pm

I always replace slashers with shields since I have both Alys & Kyra use Wood-canes when in the party. I figure the 60+ restoration is worth more then the damage they would do with slashers.

My party always has Rune and another person use wood-canes and the rest regular attack during regular battles. Caaz, Wren & Rika attack after Zio. Before Zio, Alys & Hahn or Rune& Demi would Wood-Cane.
Sain Cai
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 20

Postby Wanderer From Ys » Mon Dec 26, '11, 1:25 am

I think that slashers are powerful early in the game, which is one of the reasons I hate losing Alys, but by the time you get Kyra you have plenty more multi-target options. Still, I always give Kyra 2 slashers, because she simply doesn't have enough offense through techs to give her 2 shields.

To the guy above me, the Woodcane only heals like 30hp, you should replace it with the guard rod, which will heal all characters. Another good choice would be to use the tornado Dagger as an item for the hewn spell.
Wanderer From Ys
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 18

Postby myau56 » Sun Mar 4, '12, 6:07 pm

Slashers are indeed a good way to try to damaged and kill quickly the monsters when they are numerous and not too strong : like someone said earlier, the combo with a multi-target shot weapon from Wren then a slasher attack (or the contrary but i'm not sure who have got the most agility !) isn't too bad but those too aren't so agile so...

But I was never and will never be a fan of shields : best defense is attack ! ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby myau56 » Sun May 20, '12, 12:07 pm

lol for the video :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master