PSIV Purgatory Mode boss videos

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

PSIV Purgatory Mode boss videos

Postby Solar » Thu Apr 1, '10, 5:22 pm

I'm making a series of videos; recording the bosses of PSIV in Purgatory Mode. Here are the completed bosses.
Igglanova
Mile Sandworm
Juza
Gy-Laguiah
Zio
Fract Ooze
Dark Force 1

For those of you who don't know what the Purgatory Mode is, quote from PSCave:
This is a comprehensive hack of Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium for the Sega Genesis, built off of the Hell Mode Mod patch. The general idea behind this mod, like Hell Mode, is to have every battle be a fight for your life! Every monster has been edited to greatly raise the game’s difficulty, making each battle much longer, especially late-game.

The main difference between this patch and the Hell Mode patch is that all the enemies are now immune to instant death attacks and status effects.

Features:

* All the changes from Hell Mode Mod.
* All characters have an average of three more new Techniques and three more new Skills than Hell Mode; replacing the ones that became useless from disabling instant death and status effects.
* All the equipment in the last third of the game has had its attributes raised to better combat the Purgatory monsters.
* All Na-level Techs and every character’s final Skills have had the power increased.

Hack by The Komrade.
Last edited by Solar on Sun Apr 25, '10, 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Re: PSIV Purgatory Mode boss videos

Postby Lucas » Fri Apr 2, '10, 3:51 pm

Awesome, I downloaded this patch ages ago and I only just managed to beat the Igglanova. I never bothered going any further with it myself though. I look forward to your progression however.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Solar » Fri Apr 2, '10, 4:08 pm

Thanks! Just added the two next bosses: the Mile Sandworm and Juza. I'm making quick progress. :)
Solar
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 2, '10, 6:27 pm

Nice, it's good to see this patch getting some love. It's in the downloads section here too, but I haven't had time to promote the downloads well in a while. Hopefully this will inspire a few more people to try the patch.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Apr 2, '10, 7:27 pm

I have tried the patch...it kind of took one thing I love about PSIV and threw it into a fire, and that is the lack of excessive level grinding.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Oakley2284 » Fri Apr 2, '10, 10:13 pm

I just want to know why Alys and Rika avec the technique Flare???
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Solar » Sat Apr 3, '10, 12:09 pm

Added Gy-Laguiah and Zio.

Gryz wrote:I just want to know why Alys and Rika avec the technique Flare???

Beats me. Obviously the author had to replace all instant death/ailment skills/techs with something else, but he made some really weird choices. Love how Wren has Medical Power, though. :D

Caged Wolf wrote:I have tried the patch...it kind of took one thing I love about PSIV and threw it into a fire, and that is the lack of excessive level grinding.

There's a "double XP and Meseta" version, you know. That's also what I'm playing. In that, the needed grinding doesn't take much longer than in the original game. And, not to boast, but I usually tend to play as low level as I can.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Apr 3, '10, 3:50 pm

Solar wrote: There's a "double XP and Meseta" version, you know. That's also what I'm playing. In that, the needed grinding doesn't take much longer than in the original game. And, not to boast, but I usually tend to play as low level as I can.

Hmmm...I downloaded the patch a while ago (two years ago, at least) and I don't think I found the double XP and meseta version. I never did beat the patch and it's not something on my gaming 'to-do' list. And I also try as low level as I can, as I just can't stand excessive level grinding. :p

All that aside...kudos for getting through those bosses! Well done.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Solar » Sun Apr 25, '10, 2:42 pm

Added Fract Ooze and Dark Force 1. Xe-A-Thoul and LaShiec are also already beaten, just gotta record those.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Postby Lucas » Wed Apr 28, '10, 4:12 am

Great! I can’t wait to see your fight against Lashiec.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More