Rudy/Chaz background : another country ?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Rudy/Chaz background : another country ?

Postby myau56 » Fri Jan 20, '12, 1:20 pm

Hello to all the Phans : I've "just" started back Phantasy Star IV some weeks ago. Only for the second time ! The first was made many years ago and at the time being, I found it good but not as good as the others. I've changed my mind while re-playing it : what a game ! But that's another story :)
This topic is about Chaz's background, and especially what he tell to Rika just after Alys/Lyla's death (and I was close to tears two days ago ;)).
"In a far off country, before Alys picked me up, I did some pretty bad things"
The question isn't about the pretty bad things, but the far off country.. Country ? But thought that the Algo Solar sytem was kind of united, no frontiers ans no countries ! How come ? Do you have an eplanation ?

Bad transcription ? An error in the japanese version ? It's open ! What do you think of it ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Re: Rudy/Chaz background : another country ?

Postby Thoul » Sat Jan 21, '12, 3:05 am

Personally, I put that instance down as a poor word choice in the translation. Like you said, we see no indication of differing nations in the Palman towns on Motavia. The only way country works in context if the word is used to reference an area of land. That's a much less common usage, so the line would have worked better for me if Chaz had said "In a far off city..." or "far off land."
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Sat Jan 21, '12, 11:58 am

THOUL : Same thoughts for me. City or land would have been good. And even if it's on another planet, why not tell it ? I think it's on Motavia because Chaz is 16 at the time of the game : before, he was indeed younger and as an orphan, I don't think he could have traveled to dezoris (or Ryucros lol that's a joke cf just after...) what more we know by the game that the space lines aren't there so...
I would like to find the original script of Phantasy Star IV to check it and know the truth : but if there wasn't those "problems", what were we going to speak about ? ;)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wanderer From Ys » Sat Jan 21, '12, 10:10 pm

There are definately no other countries, we know this because we can travel around the world map. My guess is that it was just a throwaway line that they didn't put much thought into, but I'd still like to know what it says in the Japanese version.

I'm not even sure what could qualify as a far off country in this game. Torinco maybe?
Wanderer From Ys
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 18

Postby myau56 » Sat Jan 21, '12, 11:00 pm

We all want to know about the japanese script and dialogue between Rudy and Fal :)
I tried to find it but to no avail...for the moment ! I f someone have a hint...don't hesitate to tell the board !
You're right, what could be said as "very far" on Motavia...and from where ? Hard to answer...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Thoul » Sun Jan 22, '12, 3:30 am

If I recall correctly, Chaz said that line while in Krup. If so, he could have been talking about the area around Aiedo or Kadary. The Drama CD actually covers some of this portion of Chaz's life. I don't have the translation of that in front of me at the moment, so I'm not sure how specific it was in talking about the location of the area.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 22, '12, 9:37 am

It's as you said, it's in Krup, just after Alys's death. Hard to tell what are exctly the distances between all the towns because when we are on foot, the charcaters are very "speedy" (especially compare to PS III ;) ) so what is the notion of "far" ?
Yep, the Drama CD is about it and I'll check the traduction to see if we can have a (an?) hint.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 22, '12, 10:15 am

Saw in the Phantasy Star Drama CD 'in fact in the tranlation made by Diana Montaya here (if some people doesn't know this site !!) :
http://pixelkiss.com/ps/?page_id=3
Great site and great work !
"Rudy (Chaz) is a 13 year-old pick-pocket in the town of Tiria"
What is this Tiria town ? Never heard of it ! And only 3 years before Chaz's adventure in Phantasy Star IV..strange we didn't know or discover this town in the game...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Jan 22, '12, 12:41 pm

For me it is just what happens in most fantasy games: they use expressions common to Earth without caring whether they make sense in the fantasy world or not.

As for Drama CDs, Compendium and so on, I would not bother about them. They are not material that I would not consider canon, not even a trustworthy source for the series' story.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 22, '12, 12:55 pm

TILINELSON : I agree with you but it can be an interesting matter of discussion, a problem of traduction is always important if that's the case : maybe the beginning of the hunt for the original script ? I'll try !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV