Bird drawing-Xantus's Hummingbird

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Xantus's Hummingbird

Xantus's Hummingbird

View Gallery Page

Bird drawing-Xantus's Hummingbird

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jun 5, '10, 7:23 pm

New drawing! This is a Xantus's Hummingbird, which is mostly Latin American, but a very rare vagrant to the southernmost United States. This is done with a mix of basic colored pencils and metallic colored pencils, my first time using the latter. I think I need to approach them differently, but hey, not bad for the first use!
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Fri Jan 6, '12, 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Bird drawing-Xantus's Hummingbird

Postby Tanith » Sat Jun 5, '10, 7:43 pm

Wow! Beautiful drawing; I've never seen that hummingbird before. I love the colors!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Jun 5, '10, 9:35 pm

You're using your new medium from the art shop! I love it! Very, very nice work, CW! I can't wait to see more! And now I need to stop using exclamations!

;)
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Xander » Sat Jun 5, '10, 10:50 pm

I never knew you drew CW. This is a very nice piece indeed. May I ask what you used for reference? Or did you do it all yourself? Either way it's still fantastic. :)
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jun 6, '10, 12:29 am

I have bird guides that I use for reference, the main one being the National Geographic guide. However, I think I've gotten good enough with birds in general that I can start using reference LESS for shapes and now just for color/individual detail. We'll see how things go.

And thanks to everyone! :)
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 6, '10, 2:00 am

Very nice, CW. We have a few hummingbirds around here, but I've never seen one with colors similar to this. I particularly like the detail you put into the darker part of the wing.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby H-Man » Mon Aug 2, '10, 6:59 pm

Very beautiful drawing, CW.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Aug 3, '10, 5:07 am

I thought I had already commented on this, but I must have forgot or something. Anyway, this is a fantastic drawing, CW! I love hummingbirds. We have a lot of the ruby throated hummingbirds around here, but I don't think I have ever seen one like this one you have drawn. They come and go so fast, but I like to watch them feed when I have the time. Sometimes they land on tree branches close to the feeder and I get to study them for awhile. They are so tiny, but move so fast, and are fascinating creatures. The other day there were 3 or 4 of them fighting around our feeder. It was cool to watch them. That reminds me, I probably need to change their hummingbird food soon.
Anyway, always love to see your bird drawings, CW! You have a great talent. Keep it up. :clap:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Mar 28, '12, 1:16 am

Bumping this drawing up as there was some talk of it in the Animal ABC's post thread and thought some of our newer members who had not seen it yet might like to look at it and also anyone else who enjoyed it previously. A very beautiful bird!! :)

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Aug 11, '15, 9:13 pm

Bumping this little beauty up again as tis the season (summer) when I am seeing various hummingbirds all over our garden and this pic reminds me of them all. However, I have never seen this particular hummingbird anywhere in our area as we mostly have ruby throated hummingbirds and another variety that I don't recall the name of. I need to get my bird book out sometime and look it up again.

Although mostly I use commercial hummingbird food, I was reminded recently of a natural hummingbird food that I have used on several occasions. Take 4 cups of water and 1 cup sugar and boil it and there you have it. Of course, let it cool before putting in the hummingbird feeders. The birds really like this. Right now they are having a fun time with all the flowers and flowered trees in our yard but they still eat regularly at our hummingbird feeders also.

Silver_Surfer1

Next

Return to Artwork