PSIV box art with Alys instead of Chaz

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Re: PSIV box art with Alys instead of Chaz

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 18, '10, 6:32 pm

It sounds like the same source I found, then. An advertisement in a game mag. I'm pretty sure this wasn't in any of the EGM previews or reviews. I've seen most of those and they didn't include it. The ad was run in an issue of EGM though, so that was likely it.

But yeah, too bad. I would love to locate a fully visible version of this unusual find.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 19, '10, 4:48 am

I just found something new related to this alternate box art. While researching more magazines for additions to Publications pages tonight, I came across the alternate art in a different advertisement in EGM2 #5 from November 1994. Unfortunately, it's not any more clear that what I've already posted. Even though it is brighter, it's just as small. :(

What is interesting though is that this advertisement is for a different game retailer and several months older than the ones I've seen previously. Those were for a company called Chips & Bits; this one is "Masco's World of Games." That confirms that the art was not created for the ads I've seen before. Chips & Bits actually has an ad in this issue that uses the standard US box art, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Sat Jun 19, '10, 6:55 am

I strained my eyes a bit (a lot, actually x_x), but after looking at the girl in the front, it looks more like Alis rather than Alys to me. The hair reminds me of Alis and if I am not mistaken, isn't she wearing a headband like her, too? :? Shame the image isn't any clearer so I can tell for sure. :(

Anyways, this is a really cool find, Thoul! :) Makes me wonder what the developers had in mind when this was drawn up.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Chaz » Sat Jan 29, '11, 4:26 am

Why did they not have Chaz. They made a mistake.
Chaz
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 22

Postby suoturska » Wed Feb 2, '11, 11:30 pm

Perhaps they mistook Chaz for a girl.
suoturska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 1

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 3, '11, 7:59 pm

Hm, interesting idea. I guess that could happen pretty easily if the artist didn't have a very good reference for the characters.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oakley2284 » Fri Feb 4, '11, 1:40 am

No, as we can see, This is really Alys and not Chaz... Its another cover art. This is My opinion ^^
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star IV