PSI challenge

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

PSI challenge

Postby Fogeltje » Thu Dec 29, '11, 2:01 pm

I was thinking. Once I have a game on either my emulator or Wii where I have maxed out my characters (like on the save on my original cartridge) I want to try a little challenge: finishing the game without getting the Hovercraft or Landrover. It is possible. The Landrover isn't needed at all. The Hovercraft is not needed to get any essential items (like the Prism or Nuts or getting to the Aircastle).

It will present several problems: Odin won't get the Mirror Shield. It should be considered giving the Laconia Shield to him and buy Alis a Laser Shield since he lacks natural defense. You should still be able to get the Laconia Axe, I have beaten Medusa without the Mirror Shield. It involves Rope, a some luck and a lot of swearing. Alis won't get the Laconia Sword and will be stuck with a Light Saber. You won't get the Gas Shield but since you won't get the Mirror Shield either you don't need to get Sofia. And it's possible without a Gas Shield, I did so on my very first game (I missed the Hovercraft for some reason and the fact that the weird things in dungeons could be disarmed by Myau).

The real challenge lies in the fact that, before you get access to the Luveno you must visit the church in Paseo and then never visit any church again. Without the Landrover or Hovercraft there's no way to Paseo once the Spaceport is closed. This also means you can't use Fly/Transer, EVER, since you will trap yourself in Paseo forever. And THAT is the challenge I think. Although of course by the time you can buy a Wand you can Bye from every battle. It will still make for an interesting game I think.

What do you guys think?

Like I mentioned, in my very first game, which took years and years and years (we had to rent the game at a video rental so there were some periods of play and long periods of not playing. Luckily hardly anyone else rented the game so my saves remained in effect until the rental store sold the game to me when they got rid of their 8-bit games) I hadn't figured out the essence of the weird things in the dungeons (pit traps), mainly because my English wasn't that proficient back then (I wasn't even in High School and we didn't have English in grammar school) and I had somehow managed to miss the hint for the Hovercraft (probably only chose one of the Yes/No options from the Casba guy while I normally ALWAYS explore all options). My characters had become level 30 wandering around Algol endlessly searching how to proceed. I lacked the Laconia Sword and Armor (behind a trap), the Mirror Shield and couldn't find Lassic's castle. So in my eyes it's possible to play the game without the Laconia Sword and the Mirror Shield, although I don't know how that will translate into the boss battle.
Last edited by Fogeltje on Thu Dec 29, '11, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Re: PSI challenge

Postby myau56 » Thu Dec 29, '11, 5:41 pm

WAHHH ! Seems very hard ! But like you present the thing...could be possible ! But I'll try to see over the solution and books I have if it's effectively possible ! And even if itis not..it'a a very interesting way of view and could make a good subject of discussion so... bravo !
Maybe I'll try this too !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Apprentice_of_Crys » Thu Dec 29, '11, 8:19 pm

I like this challenge, especially the story behind it :) It must have been tough to wait all the time before you were able to continue the game. Great idea! I am sure it is possible to beat the game this way. However, I guess I won't try it myself^^
Apprentice_of_Crys
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 62

Postby myau56 » Thu Dec 29, '11, 9:33 pm

Every person who have posted in this thread MUST try this ! lol ;)
Possible but very hard... and why not try it with Hordes of Nei ?? ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Fogeltje » Thu Dec 29, '11, 10:50 pm

myau56 wrote:and why not try it with Hordes of Nei ?? ^^

LOL I don't want to kill myself. On the other hand it might be easier, using the infinite healing power of dual Rise. Just not being able to fly will be aggravating enough.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Wanderer From Ys » Fri Dec 30, '11, 12:05 am

I don't think I'll try it, because it sounds more tedious than challenging. But instead of stressing yourself out, can't you just skip Medusa? I don't think the Laconia Axe is required, and you really don't miss much by using the Laser gun anyway.
Wanderer From Ys
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 18

Postby Funnybomber » Fri Dec 30, '11, 2:59 am

Very Hard challenge,

Mirror Shield
Lac, Axe
unused

When i play PS in my computer i miss the mirror shield, and i save the game in the battle of medusa OMG, but is easy without the shield.

I can complete the game, i accept the challenge, fastforward can help me.
But the problem is , when we defeat Lassic, we have to visit the governor.
how we can completed the game, or the challenge?
There is no way to go to paseo Image
Funnybomber
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 17

Postby Fogeltje » Fri Dec 30, '11, 10:33 am

That is main part of the challenge. Before you get the Luveno you MUST visit the church in Paseo and then visit any other church again. That way you can fly to Paseo once you are done with Lassic and have done everything you need. Take note that once you fly to Paseo there's no way back as you can't ever leave it without a vehicle. This means you can't use fly ever after getting the Luveno and before defeating Lassic means you have to tediously backtrack to town after every dungeon. This is where the Wand and it's inherent Bye comes into play.

As far as the Mirror Shield goes, that still comes in handy in normal games as it is the best shield for Odin save the Laconia Shield. That way you get the maximum defense for your party.

As for Medusa, yes you can skip that fight in any game really I think. But for the sake of being a completionist I might go get it.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Funnybomber » Sat Dec 31, '11, 5:13 am

Sorry, i think that Paseo was Caminnet! oh my bad english

And then how would we know if they actually did the challenge?
Funnybomber
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 17

Postby myau56 » Sat Dec 31, '11, 10:16 am

No problem about it ! Everyone is bound to make mistakes when english isn't our native language like me (we french are known to be bad with foreign languages, even if I don't like to generalize..(not sure if this is correct !!^^).
Camineet ;) Surely a "keyboard mistake" ^^

But what do you wanna say with : "And then how would we know if they actually did the challenge?" ??
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Next

Return to Phantasy Star