So many "legal" way to play PSIV, which one do your prefer?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

So many "legal" way to play PSIV, which one do your prefer?

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 4:52 pm

I finished recently my PSIV game on Phantasy Star Complete Collection at LV99, so it was a good time for me to make a recap of all my PSIV experience

In my life, I've played many version of Phantasy Star IV, but when it cames down to it, it seems all have their pro and con. Here's a list of things I noticed

Phantasy Star IV on the US Genesis

First version I've played. Basically the best you can get, if it was not for the fact that battery save can die at one point and of course, the infamous LV99 glitch.

Phantasy Star IV on the Sega Saturn Phantasy Star Collection

Sound problems but worst of all, loading time!!! I thought this was ROM emulation but it seems not. This was the first time I played through the Japanese version of the game though, so I saw the removed enemies for the first time in this version. I admit that I never tested the LV99 glitch on this version though, so I don't know if it's still there or not.

Phantasy Star IV for the Sega Genesis Collection on PS2

Straight emulation I guess, though once again, another case of sound glitch. Don't know why it's so hard to do perfect emulation. Picture quality also is not as clear as in the original. Other than that, they try to fool us around by telling us the LV99 Glitch was something planned so that it will punish who overboost...what a load of **** just to cover the fact that they were not able to correct it themselves. Emulation made by Digital Eclipse, who are now known for making butchered emulation overall (remember the PS1 save glitch in Phantasy Star Collection GBA??? All thanks to them)

Phantasy Star IV on the Japanese PS2 for Phantasy Star Complete Collection

Lot, LOT of options to play with, most famous being the faster walking speed, increased XP and Meseta gain, and FINALLY, the correction of the LV99 glitch. All is well and good...except for one crucial thing....THEY DIDNT GET THE SOUND EMULATION RIGHT....again. This emulation was done by M2, which is a shame, since the emulation for PS1-2-3 was perfect in this compilation. But IV sound was atrocious in many parts, well, maybe this is only true if you've played the original. But to my nostalgia ears, no emulation on a console got it right up until now.

Phantasy Star IV on the Wii Virtual Console

Also made by M2. What we got here is the basic version of PSIV. No option to play with. But this is still the most succesful emulation of them all. If only because picture quality is perfect (not the blurry result we see in Digital Eclipse emulation) and the sound quality is finally there. Exactly as I remember from my Genesis day. Plus as a small bonus for those who like that, they also corrected the LV99 glitch in this version (take that Digital Eclipse and their stupid "punishment").

Those are all the version of PSIV I've played from start to finish. Only one I have to try would be the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection one, but since its handled by Digital Eclipse, I have no hope for it, it must be as crappy as their Genesis Collection on PS2

So overall, my favorite version of them all would be the Wii Virtual Console one. It stays true to the original game in every way without the fear of losing your save, and by correcting the LV99 gltich for good measure. The Phantasy Star Complete Collection have many good option, but really, the problem in the music killed it for me.

SO what PSIV experience did you had in the past yourself?
Last edited by xellos667 on Wed Jul 7, '10, 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Re: So many "legal" way to play PSIV, which one do your pref

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 7, '10, 4:52 pm

Alas, I've only played PSIV the classic way, on the Genesis.

I know that's not as cool, but it is what it is.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 4:58 pm

I think that if you have a good battery inside it, and don't try to go crazy with leveling like me, it's actually the best way to play with. Unfortunately, because of that, I tend to go on other versions of the game...
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 7, '10, 5:07 pm

You're so lucky you get to play PSIV on the wii! It has to be a surreal experience.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 5:12 pm

Since Sonic first came on a Nintendo console after the crash of the Dreamcast, every Sega games associated with Nintendo consoles have always been a sureal experience indeed...I still live in a closed world where Sega and Nintendo are still at war. :-D . I'm very Nostalgic of the 8-bits/16bits era....
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 7, '10, 5:16 pm

xellos667 wrote:Since Sonic first came on a Nintendo console after the crash of the Dreamcast, every Sega games associated with Nintendo consoles have always been a sureal experience indeed...I still live in a closed world where Sega and Nintendo are still at war. :-D . I'm very Nostalgic of the 8-bits/16bits era....

I hear ya, and likewise! I love the retro gaming, but the newer gaming platforms have their appeal, too. I'm still really, really wanting to play some of the newer RPGs that I have yet to experience, such as Kingdom Hearts.

Do you have any newer RPGs to recommend, Xellos?
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 5:20 pm

Newer RPG for retro-lover? I become quite unhappy with the current gen RPG. Last I played was Finaly Fantasy XIII...and while I played 100 hours with it, it still does not give me the great feeling I had playing 16 bits RPG. In fact two games I would tell to try for RPG lover from the old days is Half-Minute Hero on the PSP and Guadia Quest which is a part of Retro Game Challenge on the DS
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jul 7, '10, 5:36 pm

xellos667 wrote:Newer RPG for retro-lover? I become quite unhappy with the current gen RPG. Last I played was Finaly Fantasy XIII...and while I played 100 hours with it, it still does not give me the great feeling I had playing 16 bits RPG. In fact two games I would tell to try for RPG lover from the old days is Half-Minute Hero on the PSP and Guadia Quest which is a part of Retro Game Challenge on the DS

I've seen reviews about the newer FF game, and they basically said as you say now, that it's a mixed bag...

WHY didn't Sega release the PS Generation (I and II) to the west!? *sigh*
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Wed Jul 7, '10, 9:22 pm

The Geneis Ultimate Collection is not from Digital Eclipse on the PS3. It's by some other group, and while the sound is not exactly the same, as the Genesis, it is very, very good.
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 7, '10, 10:19 pm

The PS3/Xbox 360 collection is by Backbone Entertainment. Backbone and Digital Eclipse are two branches of one company, so there is a lot of reused material between the Ultimate Genesis Collection and the Sega Genesis Collection. PSIV seems to play very well on the 360 collection, though. I can't comment on the sound, but visually it is just as good as I remember from the Genesis.

Anyway, the original console is always the best, but if I had to choose one of the newer versions, I'd go for the Ultimate Genesis Collection. I don't think the level 99 glitch is fixed, but that's not an issue for my personal enjoyment of the game. Plus you get all these other great games, which would cost way more if you got them all separately on the Wii.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV