PS music remixes

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Re: PS music remixes

Postby PSP » Fri Apr 16, '10, 5:08 am

Yep, there's been a good amount of PS remixes released over the years. Overclocked Remix also has some impressive offerings, for Phantasy Star and nearly every other game/series in the world.

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby Tanith » Sat Apr 17, '10, 11:08 am

I'm probably going to get flamed for this since he has so many fans, but I don't really care for nekoprism's arrangements. The production quality is definitely there, but they're all a bit twee if you ask me. PS2's battle theme, in particular, doesn't really work for me. He uses too much flute and vox in his mixes. In the PSIII main theme, I would have strengthened the horn section and gotten rid of the harp and angelic choir. It should be more robust and dynamic and less light and airy.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Commence flamage. :wink:
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby PSjunkie » Sun Apr 18, '10, 1:58 am

Tanith, if you get flamed I wanna too or i'll feel left out.
The PS2 tune doesnt do it for me either.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 30

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun Apr 18, '10, 6:45 am

Well I'm reviewing nekoprism's PS remixes, and here is what I have to say.

"Ride and Triumph" (PS2 Battle theme) made me kinda sleepy, it sounded to me much more like either a character theme, or small mechanical dungeon tune. (yawn)

"Generations of Fate" (PS3 Intro theme) It was alright, however I felt like there was something that could be removed or reduced and it would have made it better. I think it is the choir but I could be wrong. Though I will say the piano was done quite nicely, but it might have been a bit better if it was tweeked to be slightly lower in volume, not enough to make a difference, but enough so it doesn't hog the spotlight.

"Journey on Alisa 3" (PS3 Overworld Theme) Well I didn't see it as an overworld theme, but it is by far (IMO) his best of the three. It honestly seemed like it was made either as a failed intro or failed ending, and then they stuck it in a forest and called it forest music. >.> Only reason I say that is cause I closed my eyes and saw faeries dancing around a great oak tree. that is surrounded by a bunch of willow trees.

Conclusion, they weren't bad, but they weren't great either. But then again, I couldn't top it (or even get close to) so I just gotta give nekoprism credit in that aspect.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Apr 20, '10, 2:02 pm

I agree with you there, Atlin. I only really like the Overworld tune, but it didn't move me, if you know what I mean. A really great tune should always have an effect on the person listening to it, and NekoPrism's songs did neither. I didn't like any of his other tunes. I was expecting the PS2 battle tune to be upbeat and vibey, with a techno influence, to get that whole sc-fi effect.

:down: Not good. At all. :zzz:
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby PSjunkie » Tue Apr 20, '10, 11:18 pm

This thread wasn't really meant as a review or I dislike this music thread, I understand this is a open discussion forum.

I just wanted to share the awesomeness of Phantasy Star Sound Collection. The other links were just bonuses really.
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Postby Lemina » Wed Apr 21, '10, 2:20 am

Oh, this thread is full of win! =D Thanks for the links, guys!

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Tanith » Wed Apr 21, '10, 2:25 am

Hey, it was still great that you added Neko's remixes, PSJ. Like Atlin, I can't top Neko's stuff, so he definitely deserves credit for his remixes. We all have different ideas of how PS music should sound when arranged for orchestra, rock, trance, etc, and I know a lot of people that love his stuff, especially the PSIII opening tune. He's actually working on some more remixes of PSII music, and they're more techno oriented, I think. So far I like what I've heard and I'm really looking forward to them! :hyper:

I need to subscribe to his youtube channel, speaking of.

It would be nice if we could keep this thread going and update it when new remixes for Phantasy Star are released. I'm always on the lookout for PS music!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby PSjunkie » Wed Apr 21, '10, 9:18 am

I love it, it's not yet complete but it surpasses his current remixes. I like techno so im biased. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ewp4AAt44
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Postby Tanith » Sun Apr 25, '10, 6:29 am

Here's one of the Segarock remixes (PS3 title theme):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qVPu7upX64

Their "Death Place" remix is my favorite, but I can't find it on youtube. I'll continue to hunt for it, though.

Ooh! Here's the Segarock version of "Laughter" from PSIV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlg221sS_Y

Love that one!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More