PS IV in Best Game Ever

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Re:

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Apr 17, '09, 2:49 pm

LordShibas wrote:Meh, I don't bother with contests on gamefaqs. The site is overrun with Nintendo and Square fanboys. A game like PS IV doesn't stand a chance, despite how good it may be.

And rapid fanboys (and fangirls, which can be even scarier) is why I shy away from gamefaqs and most other general gaming sites/forums. I'll go there for guides when I need them, but otherwise...

Not surprising how this is turning out to put up PSIV against Final Fantasy and Zelda (and I mean no disrespect to them). It's too old and an RPG from before Final Fantasy VII, so no one gives a flying flip about it or the Phantasy Star games in general.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: PS IV in Best Game Ever

Postby Heikabuchi » Fri Apr 17, '09, 6:09 pm

Lucas wrote:I placed my vote for PSIV today when I passed through gamefaqs. But seriously to put PSIV up against Final Fantasy and Zelda of course its not gonna stand a crying chance. Heck, some how even Mega Man has beaten it. Very disappointing looks like this legend of game isn't accepted by many people at all. :(

Thoul wrote:Argh, they had to put it against Final Fantasy VI in the first round. They could have at least given it a chance to make it to the second round.

I'm also sad that Skies of Arcadia didn't make the list.

Arg... When we the other gamers accept the truth; Phantasy Star IV is, and always will be, the single greatest game ever produced. I mean, what more could you ask for in a game? Nothing could even hope to compare to PSIV's story and character development. I'll even go so far as to say that PSIV is better than Halo 3 and FFXII.

O, when will the blind be given sight?

Caged Wolf wrote:And rapid fanboys (and fangirls, which can be even scarier) is why I shy away from gamefaqs and most other general gaming sites/forums. I'll go there for guides when I need them, but otherwise...

Hey... I resemble that remark. =P

-The Radical, One-Sided Speech- by: Heikabuchi, the extreme

Hear me when I say to you that PHANTASY STAR is and always will be the SUPERIOR game!
My fellow fanboys and fangirls, we have an obligation to uphold the integrity, the honor of all that is Phantasy Star. Come together as family; newcomers and true believers alike.
Fans of the old and fans of the new.
Fans of Alys and fans of Shina.
It is our duty to band together and preach the truth: that we are the followers of the TRUE RPG, the only RPG that anyone ever needs!
I stand before you so that we will join as a force, nay an ARMY! An army that will embrace Phantasy Star as a political stance! We will target potential troublemakers such as the Final Fantasy, The Megaman, and Zelda fanbase; We will target all potential troublemakers through counterintelligence and neutralize them!
We are the new order!
We are the new world!
WE ARE PHANTASY STAR!!

update: Heikabuchi was arrested a mere 3 minutes after giving this public speech. Police were left baffled as to why this radical fanboy took such an extreme stance on a mere video game.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Apr 17, '09, 7:01 pm

Heikabuchi wrote:
Caged Wolf wrote:And rapid fanboys (and fangirls, which can be even scarier) is why I shy away from gamefaqs and most other general gaming sites/forums. I'll go there for guides when I need them, but otherwise...

Hey... I resemble that remark. =P

I think we all do to some degree, don't we? :p It's just a matter of degree.

Heikabuchi wrote:-The Radical, One-Sided Speech- by: Heikabuchi, the extreme

Hear me when I say to you that PHANTASY STAR is and always will be the SUPERIOR game!
My fellow fanboys and fangirls, we have an obligation to uphold the integrity, the honor of all that is Phantasy Star. Come together as family; newcomers and true believers alike.
Fans of the old and fans of the new.
Fans of Alys and fans of Shina.
It is our duty to band together and preach the truth: that we are the followers of the TRUE RPG, the only RPG that anyone ever needs!
I stand before you so that we will join as a force, nay an ARMY! An army that will embrace Phantasy Star as a political stance! We will target potential troublemakers such as the Final Fantasy, The Megaman, and Zelda fanbase; We will target all potential troublemakers through counterintelligence and neutralize them!
We are the new order!
We are the new world!
WE ARE PHANTASY STAR!!

update: Heikabuchi was arrested a mere 3 minutes after giving this public speech. Police were left baffled as to why this radical fanboy took such an extreme stance on a mere video game.

Ha ha! :lol: But hey, I need more RPGs...I want my PSIV, but I want my Earthbound too!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Shinuzzo » Fri Apr 17, '09, 10:20 pm

Well to be fair, being $100 dollars when it first came out isn't helping Phantasy Star IV odds any. Those other three games had much better sales figures and two of them have even been remade. (I higly suspect FF VI will be at some point as well.)
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Thoul » Sat Apr 18, '09, 5:05 am

Well, we got a measly 3.97%. That's even worse than I expected!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Sat Apr 18, '09, 1:44 pm

Well at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter because those chocobo kissing gamers just don't know what kinda game experience their missing. Fortunately for us we have had the chance to experience such an awesome the game that finished the classic series with a Bang!

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Re:

Postby hugues » Sat Apr 18, '09, 3:13 pm

Thoul wrote:Argh, they had to put it against Final Fantasy VI in the first round. They could have at least given it a chance to make it to the second round.

I recently starting playing the FFVI remake for GBA and I gotta admit this is a really tough call. The only other FF games I've played are the original (which I enjoyed) and VIII (which I hated and quit after a few hours) so I couldn't be considered a "fanboy" of the series.

With that disclaimer out of the way... FFVI is one of best RPGs I've played, easily in the top 10, probably in the top 5. The plot is complex and well thought out. The character development is great, definitely on par with PSIV. I would give PSIV an advantage in the battle system though, the one in FFVI isn't bad but PSIV's is better. PSIV also has a much larger world (or worlds) to explore. The world in FFVI is a little on the small side and, without giving away any spoilers, they do something a little convoluted to stretch it out.

Where I have to give the edge to FFVI is on the openness of the game. I'm at a point where you can select your party (4 out of 8 or so to choose from) and explore at your own pace. There's an objective you have to reach but how you go about it is up to you. It's reminiscent of the second half of PSII when you have to find the Nei equipment. It's linear in the sense that you have to do a specific set of tasks to win but non-linear in that you can do it in any order you want. PSIV doesn't really get into this mode until the very end of the game.

Comparing both games side by side, it is really hard to say which is better. Of course I'm looking at a remake that is 8 years newer than the original. I never played FFVI (III in the US) on the SNES so I don't know how much or how little they added to this edition.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Shinuzzo » Sat Apr 18, '09, 7:19 pm

I would say that SNES and GBA FFVI are about 80% the same game. The touched-up localization being most of the difference. Remove the Dragon's Den, the enemy rush, 4 of the Espers and a few bugs and you have the gameplay difference.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star IV