Project NEI

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Project NEI

Postby Xeno » Sat Mar 16, '13, 10:24 pm

Here is my first project on PSAlgo - Project NEI. This fan-game is meant to be a direct retelling of PSII's story, with one slight difference... I won't spoil it, but I'll leave it to you to figure it out.

I also plan to add two bonus characters. I feel really tempted to say who they are, but I wanna keep it as a surprise.

I was inspired when I looked at Lyla's project about Alys, and thought: why in Algo can't I do the same? After all, I can also make games... So, tell me what you think. :D
Attachments
Project NEI screenshot.png
This is the first screenshot of my new project: Project NEI, aimed at retelling PSII's story. As you can see, I haven't added any custom sprites yet, but to my defense, I only started this two hours ago.
Project NEI screenshot.png (315.18 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
Nei deserved better.

Current project: Phantasy Star - The Age of Numans
Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 34

Re: Project NEI

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Mar 17, '13, 12:13 am

Looking nice so far. I really like the look of the city. I've always vaguely wanted to try my hand at a video game project, but I've never gotten around to it.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby R-90-2 » Sun Mar 17, '13, 12:26 am

Quite a project you've got there. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that one of the bigger strengths of PSII's story is what it shows as much as what it tells.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Xeno » Sun Mar 17, '13, 9:19 am

Bragatyr wrote:Looking nice so far. I really like the look of the city. I've always vaguely wanted to try my hand at a video game project, but I've never gotten around to it.

Thanks a lot! It's really easy to make those games, and I just went lazy with the map, because I used a picture and just put up empty tiles to tell the game where I am allowed to move and where I cannot. Really, anyone could do that :)

But thanks anyway!
Nei deserved better.

Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby jessie » Sun Mar 17, '13, 2:34 pm

Really nice. I can't wait to see more.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 39

Postby Xeno » Sun Mar 17, '13, 4:17 pm

Thanks. I'm currently looking for a way to make the sprites look good with the game.
I found a page that has ripped the characters of the two Playstation 2 remakes of the first two games, so I'm trying to make it work well. Also, while the story is generally the same, this one will focus more on Nei and Neifirst than the other characters. Basically the powers of Love (Nei) VS. Hate (Neifirst). I see a great potential in that theme, and I feel a bit sorry for both of them - neither deserved to be treated the way they were.

I also plan to change the characters skillsets a bit to make the game more interesting. I also am considering an optional dungeon which ties up the story with the one in PSI and PSIV, and also include some main bosses from those games as optional bosses (Zio, 3 Dark Forces from PSIV, and probably Lashiec).

Now, onto another question for you watchers... I plan to use RMXP's default battle system, but I wonder... how would you like the characters battle pics to be? Do you want:

A) Pictures of the characters
B) Their overworld sprite (Like in the DS remakes of the Dragon Quest games)
C) Just an empty space
D) Got an idea?
Nei deserved better.

Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Snorb » Sun Mar 17, '13, 6:06 pm

In my rather limited RMXP experience, I think the default battle system used (the really awful) full-character art. I'm all for either a cropped (waist-up) version of the PSGen2 character art, or their face pictures.

(Also, the Dragon Warrior games on the DS used face pics. =p)

Edit: Also, in my long-abandoned PSII sequel, I was going to have a New Game + mode where the party had an eighth character join early on (Mieu, because I like her and it gave me an excuse to use the Nei-exclusive Claws, Ribbons, and Vests) and an extra dungeon near Piata called The Edge, where Rolf and the others got to fight PSIII's Dark Force and a version of the Profound Darkness called, simply, The Premonition.

I still have some of my notes available if you want them (mostly some skill-related stuff and elemental info. I should've done a lot more work on this.)
Last edited by Snorb on Sun Mar 17, '13, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Xeno » Sun Mar 17, '13, 7:56 pm

Snorb wrote:In my rather limited RMXP experience, I think the default battle system used (the really awful) full-character art. I'm all for either a cropped (waist-up) version of the PSGen2 character art, or their face pictures.

(Also, the Dragon Warrior games on the DS used face pics. =p)

Edit: Also, in my long-abandoned PSII sequel, I was going to have a New Game + mode where the party had an eighth character join early on (Mieu, because I like her and it gave me an excuse to use the Nei-exclusive Claws, Ribbons, and Vests) and an extra dungeon near Piata called The Edge, where Rolf and the others got to fight PSIII's Dark Force and a version of the Profound Darkness called, simply, The Premonition.

I still have some of my notes available if you want them (mostly some skill-related stuff and elemental info. I should've done a lot more work on this.)

That'd be a great help if I understood you right! I may need all the help I can get, since I'm still new at this. :D

Ha ha ha... that default battle system in XP is so awful... I only use it in my original game because I like to go "against the flow", and because that green-haired mage girl (her default name was Hilda) is extremely HAWT and cute! :mrgreen:

So, I've decided to make
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Neifirst playable. Nei fights her and loses, but Eusis (because I REFUSE to use the name Rolf - it's too widespread where I come from) shields the unconscious Nei as from the killing blow. The battle with Neifirst then plays out as usual, but this time, they don't kill Neifirst, instead they knock her out and decide to interrogate her on her actions. Eventually, she decides to "join" them in order to wait for a chance when she can kill them off, but over the journey, she learns that not all humans are like the ones who hurt her in her "childhood" and eventually rebels against Mother Brain

Also, PSIV is the only Phantasy Star I've actually completed, so I plan to make an optional dungeon with some bosses from that game. I have already decided that Zio will be one of the bosses there. I think the PD could be an optional superboss, or something.

Another thing, I have decided to make Anna the ancestor of PSIV's Alys. They are kinda similar, IMO. :? Don't you think so?
Attachments
neifirst.png
Neifirst battle, though with a slight twist... Neifirst is playable in this game! Why? Just you wait until I'm done with it to find out.
neifirst.png (333.48 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Last edited by Xeno on Sun Mar 17, '13, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nei deserved better.

Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Snorb » Sun Mar 17, '13, 8:36 pm

PMed you with details, Reviver!
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Xeno » Mon Mar 18, '13, 4:27 pm

Thanks man, you're a saint! I hope it's all right if I'll credit you when I'm done. :)
BTW, I have a question... how did you make the character attack animations work?
I tried to make one with Nei, but it looked retarded. She was too small, even when she was normal sized on the picture...
Nei deserved better.

Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More