Power Rangers

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

What Power Rangers Series was your favorite?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
60%
Power Rangers: Zeo
No votes
Power Rangers: Turbo
No votes
Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy
No votes
Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue
No votes
Power Rangers: Wild Force
No votes
Power Rangers: Ninja Storm
No votes
Power Rangers: S.P.D.
No votes
Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive
No votes
Power Rangers: Jungle Fury
No votes
I never watched Power Rangers
20%
What the heck is Power Rangers?
No votes
Other: Explain in post
20%

Total votes : 5

Power Rangers

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri May 28, '10, 4:33 am

Hey everybody. Atlin here. I'm wanting to discuss a long run series which many know as Power Rangers.

Debuting on August 28, of 1993 (One year, one day after I was born =P) Haim Saban's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers took the stage, captivating many with the struggles of Zordon, Alpha 5, and a cast of five unforgettable teenagers to battle against the evil Rita Repulsa and her minions.

There have been 17 seasons throughout the years. Saban started out with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers which was the longest running with three seasons. The show then moved on into other series such as Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers, Power Rangers: Zeo, Power Rangers: Turbo, Power Rangers in Space, Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy, Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue, and then finally, Saban's rein came to an end in 2001 with the series Power Rangers: Time Force. Saban then lost rights over the series but the series lived on.

Power Rangers: Wild Force was the beginning of the Disney era with Power Rangers and continued on with Power Rangers: Ninja Storm, Power Rangers: Dino Thunder, Power Rangers: S.P.D., Power Rangers: Mystic Force, Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive, Power Rangers: Jungle Fury, and finally Power Rangers: RPM, being the seventeenth season.

On September 1, 2009, production manager Sally Cambell stated in an interview that there would not be any more seasons of Power Rangers. On October 1, 2009, Bandai released a press release that Disney would re-broadcast Mighty Morphin Power Rangers starting in January 2010 on ABC Kids, releasing a new toy line with the launch.

In mid-2010, Haim Saban bought the Power Rangers franchise back from Disney and will air a new eighteenth season of Power Rangers on Nickelodeon in Spring 2011 with the previous 700 episodes being rerun on Nicktoons.

So, did anybody else watch Power Rangers?
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Re: Power Rangers

Postby Thoul » Fri May 28, '10, 5:49 am

So Power Rangers is going to continue after all? I was really surprised to hear it was being canceled. Even after running for so long, it's still amazingly successful.

I never really watched the show regularly. It was a few years too late to pull me in. I caught a few episodes here and there, mostly in the reruns that were unavoidable at one point. Man, they used to fill up entire mornings with Power Rangers reruns. I couldn't tell you much of anything about the show beyond the first season or two, and only that because it was on sooo much. They had some good monster fights now and then, though. I always liked the dragon robot because it reminded me of Godzilla, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Fri May 28, '10, 6:03 am

I'm pretty much the same as Thoul. I was already in high school (or just about) when this came out. I also remember it was on all Saturday long at some point. I seem to remember something about the green ranger being a new addition and he was cooler than the others... something like that.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri May 28, '10, 6:07 am

Tommy Oliver, the sixth Power Ranger. He was green and in charge of the Dragon Zord. So it seems both you're favorite character is portrayed by the talented martial artist Jason Frank. He is also the person who has been the most colours and the one who has been in the most seasons.

>.>
Atlinsmere

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri May 28, '10, 11:53 am

Even as a kid, I always found Power Rangers too corny (and not the entertaining corny, IMO) for me to get into it too much. But my neighbors loved it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Fri May 28, '10, 12:27 pm

Power Rangers was great I enjoyed the original series and the Power Rangers in Space series. My favourite ranger was Tommy as well especially when he was the Green Ranger. When I was younger I also used to have an action figure of that robot Ecliptor villain from Power Rangers in space series as well. But I haven’t watched a Power Rangers episode since the Lost Galaxy series which I watched almost ten years ago now. I did see the Mighty Morphin Power rangers move one time though. It had some purple wizard fella in it selling kids slime or something I vaguely remember.
Good memories.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Xander » Fri May 28, '10, 2:36 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Even as a kid, I always found Power Rangers too corny (and not the entertaining corny, IMO) for me to get into it too much. But my neighbors loved it.

Same here. Everyone I knew, who watched it, seemed to love it but I always seemed to cringe when it came on. :p
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Thoul » Sat May 29, '10, 5:03 pm

I found it pretty corny too, at least the few early shows I saw. I think that was kind of the point, though. They were shooting for the fun kind of corny, similar to the old Batman television series. Power Rangers missed the mark a lot more than Batman, though. I couldn't stand their "bully character" and his sidekick. I don't recall their names, but when they appeared I always lost interest in an episode.

Atlinsmere wrote:Tommy Oliver, the sixth Power Ranger. He was green and in charge of the Dragon Zord. So it seems both you're favorite character is portrayed by the talented martial artist Jason Frank. He is also the person who has been the most colours and the one who has been in the most seasons.

Oh yeah, he came back as a regular in one of the last few seasons, didn't he? I watched some of that one because the idea of one of the early characters returning to mentor a new group was interesting. It was pretty good, but I lost track of it about a third of the way through the season due to time issues. I heard he left the show about half way through.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Atlinsmere » Sat May 29, '10, 8:51 pm

Yeah, he did leave the show during a two part episode called "The Green Candle" where he lost his powers. He was a good character but earlier on he was too much of a support character. He usually only fought when the other Rangers couldn't handle it on their own. He does return later on though in the first season of Power Rangers. I just haven't made it to that episode yet in my rewatching of Power Rangers. I'm pretty sure he comes in as the white ranger then, but I could be wrong.

And as for the bully and his sidekick, that'd be Farkus "Bulk" Bulkmeier and Eugene "Skull" Skullovitch. They were in the show mainly as comedy relief. And yes, the show was corny at first but you must realize, this show was intended for little kids to watch.
Atlinsmere

Postby Thoul » Sat May 29, '10, 9:24 pm

I'm pretty sure he comes in as the white ranger then, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking of something in one of the later seasons. IIRC, he left the show after the movies, but then he came back again as a regular several years later. It wasn't in Mighty Morphin', but one of the later versions of the show. I forget what it was called, but I think it was using the dinosaur theme again.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Tubular Television