Portable Gets Second Release, Maybe Sequel

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Portable Gets Second Release, Maybe Sequel

Postby Thoul » Tue Aug 4, '09, 5:16 am

Phantasy Star Portable sold very well for Sega in Japan, so it is being released as part of Sony's budget line (similar to Greatest Hits or Player's Choice). It's also going to have a bonus disc and rumors are circulating that the disc will have a trailer for Phantasy Star Portable 2. What do you think, does Portable merit a sequel? Can Sega sustain two series on separate portable systems?

More info at Joystiq, Sega Store, and a blog in Japan.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Portable Gets Second Release, Maybe Sequel

Postby Tweeg » Thu Aug 6, '09, 10:14 pm

Can't picture a second PSP game being a direct as such, unless they allow you to import your character from the original game. And who knows, maybe that's what the re-release is all about, bringing out a "Plus" version of the initial game that you'll have to have in order to convert your save file into one that can be imported into the sequel. I really hope that if there is a "Plus" version that's we'll get it too. Would be great to finally get to see and play the download only bonus quests that were excluded from the US version.

Does it warrant a sequel though? Not really, unto itself it felt more like a side story to the main PSU storyline than it did a continuing part of it.

As for there being two seperatePhantasy Star games/series going, I don't think it'll be a problem really.

From what I know of the continuity there are already three wholly seperate PS game series, meaning they don't appear to share the same ongoing storyline:
Phantasy Star (original)
Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Universe

Universe and Online are still active series in Japan, though PSO's story is concluded Sega still supports its final incarnation PSO:BB. Zero is still a bit of a mystery at this point in time as it's unclear, to me at least, weather it's intended to be a prequel to the original game series or something entirely new.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Re: Portable Gets Second Release, Maybe Sequel

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 6, '09, 11:33 pm

Tweeg wrote:As for there being two seperatePhantasy Star games/series going, I don't think it'll be a problem really.

From what I know of the continuity there are already three wholly seperate PS game series, meaning they don't appear to share the same ongoing storyline:

I meant two portable series at the same time. I should have been more clear on that. I had forgotten that Blue Burst was still running in Japan though, so that's a good point. Let's hope Sega West can manage to do as well as Sega Japan with these two series.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Phantasy Star General