Astrology with Phantasy Star

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Astrology with Phantasy Star

Postby Tanith » Sun Apr 25, '10, 9:48 pm

This thread will be updated periodically as the sun moves into new zodiac signs throughout the year. Every month I will bring to you a new post, going into detail the characters who were born under the current western zodiac sign. I realize that our astrology doesn't apply to Algo; just enjoy it for what it is. :wink:

Comments are always welcome. Also, feel free to ask me any questions about astrology. I won't be adding horoscope entries, so don't anticipate any astrology-related advice.

One last thing: I only have birth dates for characters as listed in the profiles on this site. If anyone knows more birth dates that aren't listed here, let me know. I want to include as many characters as I can.
Last edited by Tanith on Sun Apr 25, '10, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: Astrology with Phantasy Star

Postby Tanith » Mon Apr 26, '10, 3:41 am

Taurus
Approx. 20 April - 21 May

Key traits: steady, reliable, compassionate, stubborn, sensitive, determined, sensible, loyal

If there's one thing that can be said about sun sign Taureans, it is that they're dependable. Taureans can be counted on for their reliable, sensible nature, and their loyalty to family and friends is not easily surpassed. They dislike change and it may be hard to get to know a Taurean on a deeper level, but once their trust has been gained, they will remain a true and steady friend for life. People born under this sign have a tendency to move slowly, but they more than make up for it in their strength, both physically and mentally. Their stubbornness is also strong, and they are sensitive creatures and don't take criticism well. Too much prodding will bring out their ferocious temper, and once it's unleashed, beware the bull in the china shop! Their sensitivity works to their advantage, however, as they are very compassionate, sympathetic creatures.

Taureans love to surround themselves with beautiful things. They may seem materialistic, but they are interested in quality and abhor waste and excess. They love fine art and music and have a hearty appetite. They're incredibly lucky and are often quite successful in life. They attract beauty as much as beauty attracts them. They are not interested in dry humor or hidden context, and prefer their entertainment to be up front with clear messages. They like to think of themselves as independent and able to take care of their own problems, but will leap at the chance to help out their loved ones. They also love sharing all that is meaningful to them; get to know a Taurean and they will certainly show you a good time!

Phantasy Star Taurean: Amy Sage
Birthday: 26 April 1261 (AW)

Amy Sage shows a lot of characteristics of a typical Taurean. Her determination and focus helped her become a successful doctor before teaming up with Rolf and friends. As a Taurus, it would make sense for Amy to be drawn to medicine, given their tender, caring and merciful nature. Though it takes a lot for Taureans to leave the comfort of their homes, Amy realized she was needed for her healing skills and joined with Rolf in his quest to end the biohazards on Motavia. She remained a loyal member of the group throughout their mission. Her strength of personality is evident as she faced difficult challenges head on with no experience as a fighter. She is not a strong or fast fighter, but through her Taurean practicality she continued to hone her skills as a doctor, becoming the team member with the highest technique power. It is quite apparent just how useful Amy is in Phantasy Star II, as a team without her requires the others to be pack mules for medical supplies.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Solar » Mon Apr 26, '10, 12:09 pm

Yay! Looks like I'm Amy. Nice topic. :)
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Oakley2284 » Mon Apr 26, '10, 12:14 pm

Thats a great idea :up: Very nice topic like solar said ^^
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Apr 28, '10, 12:11 am

Tanith, what's your sign?

I love this idea. I can't help but wonder what Rune's and Lyle's sign are. I'm wagering that Rune is a Gemini or Leo, and Lyle is a Scorpio? lol
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Tanith » Wed Apr 28, '10, 3:30 am

I'm a sun sign Pisces (and so is Odin, oddly). Actually, I'm a triple water sign: Pisces sun, Cancer moon and Scorpio rising.

The poor characters of PSIV aren't given full dates of birth, unfortunately. I'll probably use some of them as examples of signs that don't have any PS characters associated with them, though. Alys has to be a Capricorn, I've decided. :D Rika is probably a Libra, Chaz is... Aries, maybe? Kyra is most definitely an Aries, Gryz would be a Taurus or a Cancer, Raja would be... hmm... Pisces, probably. The 'bots I can't really include.

I would peg Rune as a Gemini, too, or a Sagittarius.

If the birth date in Lyle's profile is correct, then he's a Virgo. Surprising, but perhaps his ascendant is something like Scorpio (if we pretend he was born on Earth and all that, of course :lol: ). A sun sign Virgo with Scorpio rising would explain Lyle really well, actually, and maybe throw in a moon sign Aries, because he needs a fire sign in there somewhere. He is a Dragon Knight, after all. So... Virgo sun, Aries moon, and Scorpio rising... yep, that fits Lyle quite well. Or no, I'm going with Sagittarius moon sign, not Aries.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Lyla2284 » Sun May 2, '10, 6:08 pm

I would have to disagree with you there, Tanith, regarding the PS4 star signs. I actually wanted to post something like this... but anyway, here's my interpretation of PSIV's signs. I know their pesonalities at the back of my hand, so I'll start with Alys. You said she was a Capricorn. Nope, she's a full-blooded Arian. Here's why. I'm a Sagittarian, btw, so I'm compatible with Rune, who is a Leo. :D I thought you knew that. :wink:

Traits of Arian characters:
Adventurous and energetic
Pioneering and courageous
Enthusiastic and confident
Dynamic and quick-witted

(this definitely sounds like Alys...)

Negative traits:
Selfish and quick-tempered
Impulsive and impatient
Foolhardy and daredevil

And here's some more info on the Arian woman. You can Google Arian traits and you might find the site where I got the below info.
Here is a woman who has it all, does it all, and wants it all. An Aries woman is a handful and a challenge. She will get the best out of you no matter what it takes.

Work:
A friend once cautioned me that Aries females are frighteningly efficient, with an emphasis on frightening. Aries women enjoy a challenge and you can bring out the best in your female Aries employee by presenting her with a task that she can really sink her teeth into.

Aries women can be pushy, aggressive, in your face, and obnoxious if their energy is not well-directed. Aries is the sign of “be here now,” and there can be a tendency to dominate and demand.

And to round off...
The Aries personality is always a force to be reckoned with. These are curious and energetic individuals, always delving into new areas, but often quickly becoming bored and moving on, leaving unfinished projects in their wake. Arians are forthcoming and direct. They don't generally have hidden agendas or ulterior motives. If they find an area in which they are interested for a long period, they can become quite accomplished, well-known, and wealthy. My mum's an Aries as well, is she is remarkably like Al in a way.

Bear in mind that Aries, Leo and Sagittarius are Fire signs, which makes them natural leaders.

As opposed to Capricorn..

Practical and prudent
Ambitious and disciplined
Patient and careful (Alys is downright impatient and somewhat reckless at times)
Humorous and reserved ( Alys is funny in a sarcastic way and definitely not reserved.)

Rika, Wren and Demi aren't affected by Zodiac signs, being AIs. But if i could put a sign to Rika, it would be Cancer.

Cancerian traits: Water sign. Hasn't anyone noticed that the generic-healer types are normally have Water elements?
Emotional and loving
Intuitive and imaginative
Shrewd and cautious
Protective and sympathetic

Hahn: Pisces (definitely) Water sign - The Dreamer sign
[i]Imaginative and sensitive
Compassionate and kind
Selfless and unworldly
Intuitive and sympathetic
Weak-willed and easily led
[/i]
Hahn definitely has a dreamy look in his eyes in his char portrait. (The status one).

Rune: Leo

Pompous and patronizing
Bossy and interfering
Dogmatic and intolerant

I thought you fans got the gist of their personalities by their char portraits. You can clearly see the arrogance in Rune's one, typical of a Leo.

That's my longest post so far. I can give more details about compatibility as well. Aries and Leo (Alys and Rune) go perfectly, btw. :D
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Tanith » Wed May 5, '10, 1:05 am

Yeah, this is kind of why I hesitate to use the PSIV characters in my monthly astrology updates. I know people will disagree with me since they don't have specific birth dates, and they could fit any number of signs depending on what qualities one focuses on. Ah, the ambiguity of astrology.

I used to do astrological birth charts as a side job before the internet made it so easy for everyone to calculate their own. I believe we can't get a clear idea of any of the character's true astrological identities unless they have a full chart done, but of course we can't do that because they're all born under a different sky, different constellations, different astrology. :wink:

I agree that the healers fit water sign characteristic pretty well. Taurus fits Amy for the most part, but I was actually surprised at first that she wasn't a Pisces. However, the more I thought about it, the more I thought about how she's an actual doctor (and not just a magical healer), which takes years of school and discipline. Being a sun sign Pisces myself, I can say we don't have a whole lot of discipline. :wink: Amy's in-development birth date was February 6th, which would make her an Aquarius. Smart move on Sega's part making her a Taurus.

I would peg Hahn as more of a Virgo than a Pisces, but the two signs are closely related. Odin is officially a Pisces, which is going to be a very interesting write-up. I don't think of Odin as a retiring, dreamy old-soul at all. The dude must have some serious fire or air going on in the rest of his chart, something that would totally pwn a Pisces sun. (Pisces is a very weak sun sign and will get trampled on by a dominant ascendant, such as Aries.)

I don't really see Alys as being reckless or impulsive. If she was, I don't think she would have become top dog at the Hunter's Guild. Another thing that bothers me about calling her an Aries is that Arians are very selfish and conceited. Alys is very independent, but she's not a jerk about it. She didn't put up with people's crap, but I also didn't get the impression that she made split-second decisions easily. She was willing to put herself in harm's way for Chaz, something I can't see an Aries doing unless they thought it would get them some glory. Despite it being an earth sign, Capricorn is a very powerful, work-driven sign. Capricorns are usually excellent in business, don't take criticism well, are often short-tempered, have incredible willpower, will not put up with being second-in-charge, but are still adaptable when working on a team. Capricorn women are very slow to move romantically and don't think about marriage like other signs do (a theme brought up in the game a few times), but nonetheless make good homemakers (Alys kept a clean home and was good at cooking). Anyway, just my two cents.

Some other odd signs within Phantasy Star are:
Lutz/Noah, Aries
Lyle, Virgo
Maia, Gemini
Nero, Scorpio (I guess it's more odd that they'd even bothered giving him a full date of birth.)
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Tanith » Mon May 24, '10, 4:00 pm

Gemini
Approx. 22 May - 21 June

Key traits: versatile, lively, communicative, unreliable, inconsistent, intellectual, witty, generous

Sociable and outgoing, Geminians are the zodiac’s chatterboxes. They are restless and lively, with a sharp wit and adaptability for almost any situation. Geminians will involve themselves in a variety of activities and studies; they excel academically and are known to succeed as politicians, ambassadors and public speakers. Their effervescent personality is downright contagious, and Geminians are often the life of the party. Their restlessness can cause them to be inconsistent, and Geminians are notorious for changing their minds suddenly. However, their ability to motivate others counter balances their unreliability.

Geminians thrive on picking up new hobbies and fads. They usually follow the current trends, pick up the latest gadgets and know all of the daily headlines. They can make great inventors, satisfying their constant need to try and develop new things. Geminians are well-read and eloquent, and their generosity makes them wonderful friends, even if their flightiness makes them hard to find at times!

Phantasy Star Geminians: Alis Landale, Hugh Thompson

Alis Landale (25 May AW327)
Who, at the tender age of 15, would be able to lead a group of warriors (two of which were nearly twice her age) across three planets? Why, Alis Landale, that’s who! No doubt her Geminian powers of persuasion helped her convince her teammates, Myau, Odin and Noah, that her quest to honor her brother’s dying wish was worth the epic and dangerous journey. Her adaptability was well-suited for traveling throughout Algol, as the three planets were all vastly different from each other, and her group encountered more twists and detours than an episode of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Alis went on to become the ruler of Algol, but her restlessness soon led her to seek out new worlds, colonizing another planet and then eventually returning to Algol. Alis’s legacy was anything but boring; the people of Algol remained captivated by her even thousands of years after she defeated Dark Falz.

Hugh Thompson (14 June AW1264)
Hugh Thompson was already Motavia’s “leading expert” on plants and animals by the time he was 19 years old. He had a natural curiosity for nature going back to his childhood. Though he valued all forms of life, he was driven by his sense of protecting weaker creatures to fight against the outbreak of biomonsters. While he could have continued his research at Motavia Academy, he eagerly sought out Rolf’s group. I wonder if his Geminian sense of adventure and curiosity had anything to do with him joining Rolf's team to solve the mystery of the biomonsters? Hugh knew several special techniques that no one else knew and were not repeated in other Phantasy Star games. As a Geminian, he might have invented these techniques himself during the course of his studies and during his continued experience encountering and fighting biomonsters. Hugh had, perhaps, the most fateful yet eloquent final words of his teammates when he told the earthmen, “You have shown me the ugliness of continued existence.” Spoken like a true Geminian!

Unofficial Phantasy Star Geminians (birthdates created by Toyo Ozaki): Sean Sa Riik (27 May), Alair Kay Eshyr (13 June)
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon May 24, '10, 7:23 pm

Very interesting topic, Tanith! :clap:

Astrology is a fascinating subject. Intriguing to match it up with our fave Phantasy Star characters. Looking forward to reading more. :)
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Classic Series