Poll: Older or Newer Video Games ?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Do you play more of the newer video games or more of the older video games?

I play more of the newer video games.
20%
I play more of the older video games.
60%
I play about the same of newer and older video games.
20%
Other...please explain in your post.
No votes

Total votes : 5

Poll: Older or Newer Video Games ?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Oct 1, '17, 6:34 pm

I got to thinking about this subject the other night and decided to do a poll and see what everyone else's responses were.

Personally, I prefer the older video games, but to be honest there are so many newer video games that I haven't had time to try yet.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Poll: Older or Newer Video Games ?

Postby myau56 » Sun Oct 1, '17, 6:49 pm

I prefer the old video games too ! No time to play recent one too and too many older to continue or to complete ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Oct 1, '17, 9:00 pm

As much I as like older games and still play some of them, I mostly play games from the last 10 years.

I play mostly JRPGs, and in the end I prefer the new ones.
Last edited by tilinelson2 on Sun Oct 1, '17, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby jessie » Mon Oct 2, '17, 3:18 am

Older. No network needed, no monthly fees,no downloading patches. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 39

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Oct 2, '17, 10:53 pm

Both. I don’t think older or newer is inherently better. A good game is good regardless of its release date.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Oct 7, '17, 5:53 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Both. I don’t think older or newer is inherently better. A good game is good regardless of its release date.

Absolutely agree. My original idea in making this poll was not to say that one was better than the other and I hope it wasn't taken in that respect. I simply wanted to know if people were playing more of the older games or if they were playing more of the newer games.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Oct 7, '17, 6:59 pm

Not at all, Silver. When I said I played both I meant it. Granted as of late I've been spending most of my time in Horizon Zero Dawn as I want to finish my ultra hard run before the DLC hits a month from today. But I got Pokemon Silver on the 3DS virtual console not long ago and I certainly intend to play it.

There's just a significant part of the internet I've noticed that seems to consider old automatically better. For sure there are amazing, awesome old games...but same with new games. Just as there are terrible old games and terrible new games. I just don't think a game's age says much of anything about how good it is. I definitely think technology allows games to do more things better than they did before, but that's in many ways a double-edged sword.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sun Oct 8, '17, 1:11 pm

Sure that great video games will still be great and bad one will still be bad ! It don't depends about old or new :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby R-90-2 » Sun Oct 8, '17, 3:44 pm

I do play a good deal of older games, either because they do something unique or represent something that's not really around much anymore, or are part of my ghoulish obsession with game franchises that never made it to the modern day, but on the balance of hours I'd actually say I play newer games more- I even seek out newer versions of older games, because sometimes there isn't much of a point to playing older versions of a game aside from historical curiosity (such as the PC-8801 versions of Ys I & II).
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Return to General Gaming