What is the most important issue facing the World today?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

What is the most important World issue today?

World Hunger
No votes
Weather (Hurricanes, Floods, Tornado, etc.)
33%
Terrorism
No votes
Global Warming
No votes
Homelessness
No votes
Nuclear Weapons
33%
Space Exploration
No votes
Gas Prices / Alternative Fuel supplies
33%
Rising Costs Of Medical Care / Insurance (or lack thereof)
No votes
Unemployment
No votes

Total votes : 3

What is the most important issue facing the World today?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Apr 3, '07, 7:30 pm

What do you think is the most pressing or most important issue facing the World today which may have a significant impact on people everywhere, and one that the entire world should be concerned with and be trying to do something about it now or come up with something or some way to help it, fix it, or find a remedy to the situation in the future?

Also, do you have an idea or solution that might aid in trying to help solve one or more of these world issues?

Are there any other issues that you can think of or consider to be important other than the ones mentioned in the Poll?
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: What is the most important issue facing the World today?

Postby Neithird » Tue Apr 3, '07, 9:24 pm

I picked alternative fuel. I'm not that concerned about the gas prices (they'll gouge us anyway! :P), but cleaner burning fuels would be good. They would reduce pollution and improve air quality. That's very important, especially for people living in cities and having to breathe in that nasty smog.

Supposedly they would also lessen the advancement of global warming, so it's kind of a two for one deal. :D
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 4, '07, 9:52 pm

Huh, that's hard to pick. Those are all important issues. I'm going with nukes. It may not be the most pressing concern, but being able to blow up the planet two or three times over is not a good thing.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 4, '07, 11:06 pm

Thoul, I agree in that they are all important and pressing issues. There are probably others to be mentioned also, so there is no shortage of ideas for this topic, that's for certain.

It may not be the most important issue in some circles, but I think I would have to say World Hunger. I mean, how can we solve the other important issues if there are still some people in areas of the world (and possibly some here in the USA) who still go to bed hungry at night???? It boggles the mind. So much food is wasted and there seem to be so many needy who could use it and can't seem to provide for themselves for some reason or other. It just seems almost impossible to believe (especially here in the so called "land of plenty") that there are some who don't have "enough", atleast food wise, but it is a harsh fact of reality.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Zafneir » Thu Apr 5, '07, 5:40 am

Well, it's not exactly an issue that's mentioned, but I feel is worth a thought; overpopulation. Difficult to address, even more so to solve, as solutions will have a tendency to clash with human freedoms, religious beliefs and moral views. On the other hand, if not tended to within the next 50 years, it WILL have devastating effects worldwide. Natural resources such as food, drinkable water and landspace will deplete, and energy resources will be expended in an attempt to keep up with the needs of a growing world population. Wars will also more than likely erupt so that people may gain control over such resources. Now, I don't really foresee the average person having an effect upon the issue, but by that token, minimizing the waste we produce in our day-to-day lives might have a more positive effect upon the world if/when Earth reaches its limit.
Drum Solo of Life!
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Postby Neithird » Thu Apr 5, '07, 3:35 pm

Yeah, that's definitely another big one. I think that we, as a civilization, can solve many of those issues if we really come together and get it done. Too many politicians will poke around and waste time for that to happen, though.

It is such a shame that there isn't another inhabitable planet nearby. Our population is at the point where we could really use the extra space and resources. Although, I suppose we wouldn't have a way to reach it, even if one did exist.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Casual Conversation