War hero dog remembered as medal auctioned

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

War hero dog remembered as medal auctioned

Postby Srijita » Thu Apr 30, '09, 8:26 pm

World War II hero Rip was a mixed breed terrier. It is likely that he was made homeless by the Luftwaffe attack on Poplar, East London, in 1940. Having survived the bombing, he roamed the streets as a stray. During his wanderings, however, he encountered an Air Raid Precaution Warden who tossed him a few titbits, probably hoping that he would take the scraps and be on his way. Instead, the Warden (one Mr E. King) found himself with a new partner.

The dog, who had no formal training, showed an innate talent for locating casualties trapped beneath the rubble of bombed out buildings. As such, he became the service's first "sniffer dog". Of his own accord, he worked through the crashes and explosion of the Blitz, braving fire, smoke, and the apparently terrifying air-raid sirens. After blackout he accompanied Mr King on a nightly tour of street shelters. He saved more than 100 people and inspired the authorities to begin official training of sniffer dogs to trace casualties.

In July 1945, he was awarded the PDSA * Medal, reserved for animals displaying "conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty" serving or associated with the Armed Forces or Civil Defence units.

His medal recently fetched over £24,000 at an auction in London, giving us an opportunity to remember him.

War hero dog's medal is auctioned
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Re: War hero dog remembered as medal auctioned

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 30, '09, 11:19 pm

Ah, that's a great story. A medal is the least they could have given for the wonderful service he gave to all.

I wonder who will get the medal in the auction. Whoever the winner is, I hope they take good care of it.

Although there is nothing wrong with an auction, I myself think it would have been better to contribute it to some kind of museum or place like that where everyone could see it, appreciate it, and learn more about the dog, "sniffers", etc.

:proposetoast: A true hero! :clap:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: War hero dog remembered as medal auctioned

Postby Thoul » Fri May 1, '09, 6:44 pm

What, what a dog. Not only did he save all those lives of the people he found, but also all the lives of people found by the dogs trained because of his example. That's a really impressive critter! I agree, he definitely deserves a museum exhibit.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Amazing Animals