Playstation VR

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Playstation VR

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jun 14, '16, 7:46 pm

Looks like we may be seeing the Playstation Virtual Reality sometime this Fall:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gami ... /85856534/

Anyone looking forward to this?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Playstation VR

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jun 14, '16, 8:29 pm

Unless it can hold a candle to the Vive (which we have), which seems to be rapidly becoming the VR market dominator, not really. It's still cool to see Sony integrate VR into its console, but I'm not sure how much it's going to catch on.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Atlinsmere » Sat Jun 18, '16, 10:07 am

While the Vive is currently dominating the market, it's price is a bit of an issue for many people. That's why I feel like there is pressure on Sony to get VR right with their product that's aimed more of a wider audience. I feel like if the Sony VR flops(I miss it's old name Project Morpheus, it was better), then the future of VR will be at risk. Kind of like how 3D TV's aren't really around anymore.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jun 18, '16, 6:57 pm

Well, any new tech starts out pretty expensive, but you are right that the Vive being expensive may hurt it some. More than that, you do need a pretty powerful PC to run it (mine just makes the standards with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970). Doesn't help that Oculus really bungled up with preorders. But I think if Vive keeps doing well the price will start dropping a bit.

I hope PlayStation VR is successful, but I'm a bit skeptical of how well it will do with the target audience and against the competition.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Schala Zeal » Mon Jul 11, '16, 4:10 am

Remember the Playstation move? Or the camera thing they had way back on the ps2? I hope the VR doesn't go the way of those things. XD

Come to think of it, there aren't 3D TVs anymore. :worried: That's kinda sad--one of the 3D TVs looked pretty cool.

EDIT: Heavens, the Vive is 800 bucks!??! Wolf Bird, how is it to play? It looks fun, but I don't know if it's 800 dollars fun. :rofl:
Last edited by Schala Zeal on Mon Jul 11, '16, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jul 11, '16, 5:33 pm

Schala Zeal wrote:EDIT: Heavens, the Vive is 800 bucks!??! Wolf Bird, how is it to play? It looks fun, but I don't know if it's 800 dollars fun. :rofl:

My boyfriend got it and to be fair to him, he does development on it for work. So he got one both to help his work directly but also to develop on it for fun, which helps him in his work in a big feedback loop. It is pretty fun to play, but unfortunately, it's just slightly too wide for me, which makes focusing very hard and it's quickly headache/sickness inducing to play for me. We have gotten an adaptor to mitigate that, but haven't tried it yet.

That said, I have got to try Catlateral Damage on it sometime.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Mon Jul 11, '16, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Return to Tech and Design