PlayStation Vita

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: PlayStation Vita

Postby S4Blade » Thu May 15, '14, 2:20 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Well, neither local Gamestop has the PS Vita/Borderlands 2 bundle in stock. One of them had an old model in stock, so I could at least try that in my hands, but I did not purchase anything. I'm not in any huge hurry to get it ASAP or anything, it was just one those things I've been thinking about. Hearing about the new model being smaller, lighter and having a better battery life (which to me, is very important, but I get what you're saying myau56) made me think about it more. Screen quality doesn't seem like a big deal in my case, my boyfriend told me same thing, VistaBlade - unless I'm used to the old (which I'm not), I probably won't notice a difference, and if I did, I'd likely get used to it in due time. It seems the new model is, overall, a net benefit. But of course, pick your tradeoff regarding the screen and battery life. I got Borderlands 2 as a PS Plus freebie, so if the PS Vita comes bundled with it, no big deal there. Might actually get me to try it, which I haven't yet. The main appeal for me is that a lot of PS Plus freebies (especially indie games) have both Vita and PS3 versions, and I think I might prefer to play those on Vita and use my PS3 itself for discs. I also have a couple games that I got for PS3 that have cross-versions.

For handhelds, a big thing for me is how it feels in my hands. The PS Vita old model felt alright, but I want to try a Slim if possible before I really buy anything and see if I feel a difference. There are several other places around town for me to try, but we'll see if I get to any of them in the near future.

Well happy hunting, and if you have any other questions let us know.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu May 15, '14, 2:56 pm

We're going to check at Best Buy tonight after I have my last class. They're open until 9, and my class is over at 7:30 (maybe a tad earlier, as it's the last class and it's just presentations), so we should have plenty of time to get there since it's more or less on the way home.

And if they don't have it, there's another Best Buy in the Landmark Center, which is where my office is located, so I could check them tomorrow.

Another thing I like about the Slim after more research is that it's a standard micro-USB charging port, unlike the original model. So backup charging cables will be no problem. I could even charge it with the same cable I use to charge my bike lights.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu May 15, '14, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Thu May 15, '14, 5:29 pm

Ah yes I do remember reading about that too. That's another bonus of the slim.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Thu May 15, '14, 8:47 pm

Yes it's a great bonus ! I didn't know about it :) But as I only charge mine on the power socket ! ;) I've never tried to charge it on my computer :) Maybe one day ? ^^
Hope you'll find it ! Wolf Bird :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri May 16, '14, 2:54 am

Well, got one at Best Buy just an hour ago! They had one on display I could hold and it felt like a definite improvement. I haven't unboxed it yet, as we just got home and haven't had dinner yet, but I'll play with it some tonight. Got a case to go with it, but they were out of screen protectors. I'll check the other Best Buy tomorrow for one.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby S4Blade » Fri May 16, '14, 4:44 am

Congrats on getting a Vita Wolf Bird. Did you get any games? or are you just going to mess around with the PS3 stuff?

I had issues putting my screen protectors on. I had two of them and both times I could not get the bubbles out from underneath them. So I just said forget it, and got some screen wipes instead.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri May 16, '14, 4:51 am

Did not get any games. They had a pretty small selection there. Plus it came bundled with Borderlands 2 and all its DLC, so I might try that. I have at least 3 different indie games that I got free on PS Plus that are also on PS3. So I think for now, I'm set. I also have Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time on PS3 and it's supposed to come with the Vita version. There's no download code, so I wonder if I'll put the disc in my PS3 and be prompted to download the Vita version. Unless it lost the download code, as it is a used copy. So we'll see. But right now, think I'm good and I won't be playing Thieves in Time until I get through the other Sly titles on the HD collection.

I have microfiber cloth to clean the screen, so set there as well. I'm rethinking the screen protector, since I saw it's glass as I unboxed it, which is pretty scratch resistant.

It's downloading Borderlands 2 right now. :)

Wolf Bird

Postby S4Blade » Fri May 16, '14, 9:07 am

I have never seen a good selection of Vita games at any retail store. If you are looking for specific games I would recommend getting them from Amazon. That would be your best bet.

As far as I know Borderlands 2 has been scaled down so it runs on the Vita. Not sure how that's going to sit with you.

I'm not sure how cross buy works with retail versions. Games that are cross buy I usually buy digitally, that way it's on my PSN account and I can simply download both versions, like with Spelunky and Ethan: Meteor Hunter.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Fri May 16, '14, 12:00 pm

Congratulations on your newly acquired Vita ! :clap:
For me, I've never put any screen protector on my portable consoles and will never put ! I don't likie this : I'm not playing outside of my house (or my parent's house..) so I take good care of them :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri May 16, '14, 2:40 pm

VistaBlade wrote:I have never seen a good selection of Vita games at any retail store. If you are looking for specific games I would recommend getting them from Amazon. That would be your best bet.

As far as I know Borderlands 2 has been scaled down so it runs on the Vita. Not sure how that's going to sit with you.

I'm not sure how cross buy works with retail versions. Games that are cross buy I usually buy digitally, that way it's on my PSN account and I can simply download both versions, like with Spelunky and Ethan: Meteor Hunter.

I figured Amazon might be a better bet, so I may browse there eventually, but not now. I haven't played the console version of Borderlands 2, so I have no precedent that I'm used to. So scaling down (which I expect anyway if going from console to handheld) is less likely to bother me. I may start buying the crossover games on PSN going forward, but I got the Thieves in Time disc a while ago. I have plenty of other PSN crossover games now anyway, and I can start browsing the Vita exclusives. I did have some trouble with the Borderlands 2 download, but it seems a lot of people did and there were tons of guides on forums, so it's fine now.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Fri May 16, '14, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

PreviousNext

Return to Tech and Design