PlayStation Vita

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: PlayStation Vita

Postby S4Blade » Fri May 16, '14, 7:34 pm

I'm not sure if the slim Vita is any different, but my Vita takes a long time to initialize for game downloads and updates. It's almost like it's not going to download them, and then it eventually starts and then it will download the game fine. I just have to let it do it's thing and it will eventually start the download.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby myau56 » Fri May 16, '14, 8:45 pm

VistaBlade wrote:I'm not sure if the slim Vita is any different, but my Vita takes a long time to initialize for game downloads and updates. It's almost like it's not going to download them, and then it eventually starts and then it will download the game fine. I just have to let it do it's thing and it will eventually start the download.

I'm not online with my VITA but I am with my 3DS and it's the same for me ! Not starting to download and then suddenly it's the start ! ;)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun May 18, '14, 9:42 pm

VistaBlade wrote:I'm not sure if the slim Vita is any different, but my Vita takes a long time to initialize for game downloads and updates. It's almost like it's not going to download them, and then it eventually starts and then it will download the game fine. I just have to let it do it's thing and it will eventually start the download.

It seems like it was more a problem of download order. When I put in the voucher code for the BL2 download, it batch downloaded everything. One of them was also a patch to the game, that was labeled the same as the base game. Then it got confused on install. I wiped the memory card, then downloaded each piece individually from my download list on PSN and it went totally fine.

Vita is now up and running well. I've installed several of the indie games at this point, and tried cross-save on one of them. It as very simple and intuitive, but I'm not sure right now if that's how they'll all do it. We'll find out. Later today I'm going to try remote stuff with my PS3
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sun May 18, '14, 10:07 pm

Happy that your Vita is running well and that all is functionning ! No problem with mine too :) No screen problem and no dead pixels, that is great.
Have a nice time playing !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby S4Blade » Mon May 19, '14, 1:24 am

Let us know what you think of the PS3 remote functionality Wolf Bird. I've never used it myself. How are you liking the hybrid touch screen/control pad interface? I think it takes a little bit to get used to.
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon May 19, '14, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon May 19, '14, 2:34 am

I haven't really played many games on it yet, other than the tech demo Welcome Park and Retro City Rampage. Welcome Park is just a nice way to get used to some of the tech, and RCR is all buttons (at least so far). So I really haven't had any hybrid controls, at least not yet.

Also have set up remote functionality, but not yet tried it intensively. My boyfriend has been playing Infamous: Second Son for much of the afternoon, so yeah.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon May 19, '14, 4:53 pm

Double post, but doing it to answer VistaBlade's question. :)

I tried the remote play with my PS3 last night. Now, it is limited right out the gate because not many games are compatible with it. You can find lists online pretty easy. But among those that are compatible are PS1 classics, of which I have four on my PS3 (the Spyro trilogy and Gex: Enter the Gecko). But besides that, two that are compatible that I personally care about are Tokyo Jungle and the Shadow of the Colossus/Ico HD collection.

I have not tried Shadow of the Colossus/Ico on remote play, as we're currently loaning our disc to a friend. The download version of SOTC doesn't work either, as I have it installed and tried it. However, it worked GREAT with Tokyo Jungle and the Spyro games. You can connect via private network if the Vita and PS3 are both connected to the same wireless network. I tried that first and did a survival run in Tokyo Jungle as my boyfriend was playing Infamous: Second Son on his PS4 and was using the TV. You can also connect via internet, so I could play my PS3 from my brother's apartment or somewhere. Tried that with Tokyo Jungle and the first Spyro game. All worked great. The 'connect via internet' mode can take a little longer to establish a connection and be a little less reliable, as the screen occasionally freezes for a second and sometimes the controls don't respond perfectly, but overall, it was a good experience. Really, the worst part of it was setting it up as I misunderstood part of the directions.

Have not tried it with the PS4 yet, as my boyfriend was using it yesterday. I did set up my own account on it with my PSN info, so sometime today, I'll give that a go.

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Mon May 19, '14, 8:53 pm

WOLF BIRD : Did you plan to buy some games specially on the VITA ?
And for those who have the machine : which games do you have ?
Has for me I have got 4 : Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc, YS memories of Celceta, Persona 4 the Golden et Dragon's Crown. All are great !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon May 19, '14, 10:30 pm

There are no specific Vita exclusive games I can think of that interest me, certainly not big name titles. Most of what I'm interested in, right now, are games that have both PS3/PS4 and Vita versions that cross-play and cross-save. The only Vita exclusive I have now is a random freebie I ran across on PSN for PS Plus subscribers called Ecolibrium. For the most part, at least right now, I'm likely to use my Vita as an extension of my PS3, and possibly PS4 once I set up remote play for that.

That, of course, is subject to change and additions.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Mon May 19, '14, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby S4Blade » Tue May 20, '14, 12:36 am

Thanks for the PS3 remote play impressions Wolf Bird. I don't think it's something I would ever use, but it's good to know that it works pretty well.

I don't really have a lot of Vita games since I just got one not too long ago, but I do have a few.

Ethan: Meteor Hunter (Cross Buy)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
Spelunky (Cross Buy)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss

There are still about 16 games that I want to get. Some are box releases and some are PSN downloads.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Tech and Design