PlayStation Vita

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: PlayStation Vita

Postby myau56 » Fri Jan 31, '14, 12:10 pm

I've heard about this slim version of the Vita ! Surely interesting but very expensive ! :(
And still the same problem as before : a lack of great games...
Hope this'll change soon ! And maybe I'll change my mind and buy this machine that is great :)(I love handhelds machines !).
Last edited by myau56 on Wed May 14, '14, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue May 6, '14, 8:55 pm

New version of the PlayStation Vita available in USA now:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/06/play ... _truncated

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby S4Blade » Tue May 6, '14, 11:44 pm

The updated Slim Vita is taking a lot of flak for having an LCD screen as opposed to the OLED that was in the original Vita. I have not seen comparisons, but I hear the new screen is not as good. That's one of the reasons I picked up a Vita no too long ago, to makes sure that I got the older version with the better screen.
Last edited by S4Blade on Tue May 6, '14, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby S4Blade » Wed May 7, '14, 12:41 pm

Here is a review for the Vita slim if anyone is interested.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/11/ ... eview-2013

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Wed May 7, '14, 9:46 pm

VISTA : Thanks for the link ! I'll comment about it tomorrow ! But thanks again ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed May 14, '14, 4:30 pm

I'm willing to admit that more and more I'm thinking of getting a Vita. Not sure I really care about the Borderlands 2 bundle, but it seems like it might be a really good companion to my PS3.

I can get what you're saying on the screen, VistaBlade. The old version has a better screen, but it seems it came at the cost of lower battery life. The new screen isn't as good, but it sounds like the traditional LCD extended the battery life. I won't be able to compare them to each other, but I'm a fan of higher battery life.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed May 14, '14, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Wed May 14, '14, 7:31 pm

Well WolF Bird you will have pardon my disposition because you know I'm always eager to encourage people to buy stuff :).

If you are concerned about battery life then definitely get the slim. The screen may not be as good, but you will more than likely not notice. They did a similar thing with the PSP 2000 and the PSP 3000. The PSP 3000 had a cheaper screen than the 2000 did, and I was used to playing on the 2000. So when I got my 3000 I was able to tell the difference, but after a while it didn't bother me at all. In fact I ended up getting rid of my 2000 and keeping my 3000.

One thing to know about Vita slims, is that they are currently only available in the Borderlands 2 bundle. Sony has not announced when they will be available to purchase by themselves. Maybe they will say something about it at E3. Another nice thing about the Borderlands 2 bundle is that it comes with an 8 gig memory card too. Something that you will have to pay extra for if you wait to buy the Vita separately.

I think your best bet would be to get the Borderlands 2 bundle and just not download the game if you don't want to play it. Then you could get it sooner, and get the memory card as well. You could also wait to see when the Vita slims will be available by themselves, but Sony has made no mention of it as far as I know.

For me, the original Vita is fine because battery life is not a problem since I don't ever take my portable systems out of my house to play them. My portable systems are simply extensions of my gaming library. I will just sit on my couch and play them if I want to. I've never used any of the PS3 connection functionality, so I can't comment on those features, but as a portable gaming device I like it a lot.
Last edited by S4Blade on Wed May 14, '14, 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Wed May 14, '14, 8:24 pm

Very good choice, Wolf Bird ! For me, the "old" Vita system is the better ! A best screen is far more important than the battery life ! But my vision is a bit "deformed" by the fact that, like Vistablade, "I will just sit on my couch and play them if I want to" :)
especially before my sleep and just when I Wake up, just before I go out of my bed ! :)
But take the model that you want the most and if for you the battery life is very important, don't hesitate to take the slim model !
Last edited by myau56 on Thu May 15, '14, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu May 15, '14, 3:16 am

Well, neither local Gamestop has the PS Vita/Borderlands 2 bundle in stock. One of them had an old model in stock, so I could at least try that in my hands, but I did not purchase anything. I'm not in any huge hurry to get it ASAP or anything, it was just one those things I've been thinking about. Hearing about the new model being smaller, lighter and having a better battery life (which to me, is very important, but I get what you're saying myau56) made me think about it more. Screen quality doesn't seem like a big deal in my case, my boyfriend told me same thing, VistaBlade - unless I'm used to the old (which I'm not), I probably won't notice a difference, and if I did, I'd likely get used to it in due time. It seems the new model is, overall, a net benefit. But of course, pick your tradeoff regarding the screen and battery life. I got Borderlands 2 as a PS Plus freebie, so if the PS Vita comes bundled with it, no big deal there. Might actually get me to try it, which I haven't yet. The main appeal for me is that a lot of PS Plus freebies (especially indie games) have both Vita and PS3 versions, and I think I might prefer to play those on Vita and use my PS3 itself for discs. I also have a couple games that I got for PS3 that have cross-versions.

For handhelds, a big thing for me is how it feels in my hands. The PS Vita old model felt alright, but I want to try a Slim if possible before I really buy anything and see if I feel a difference. There are several other places around town for me to try, but we'll see if I get to any of them in the near future.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu May 15, '14, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Thu May 15, '14, 12:22 pm

WB : You're right, no need to hurry ! Take your time and try to test the slim model after the "old model" :) And then you'll be able to make a better choice considering what you want to have. I can see qhat you are saying too, Wolf Bird : if you play a lot and on the "outside" of your house, it's logical to want a better battery :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tech and Design