Projectors

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Projectors

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 17, '10, 8:44 pm

Some researchers have developed a new miniature projector that can fit inside small electronics, like cell phones:
http://www.physorg.com/news203623130.html

Or, more importantly, this could fit in a handheld gaming system. ;) Can you imagine what Nintendo or Sony might do with a projection feature in a new DS or PSP? This could potentially add a third display to a DS or even replace a screen on a handheld. Maybe it could even be placed in the next generation of remote controllers. This could really change gaming. What do you think of the concept of a projector integrated into game systems?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Projectors

Postby Xander » Fri Sep 17, '10, 10:13 pm

The potential may be limited to something like the DS, seeing how if you take it with you outside, getting a decent projected image would be hard. But for something like a console, now that would be interesting. It would certainly be more interesting than the gimmick that is motion control.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Sep 18, '10, 10:23 pm

Sounds really interesting. I will be looking forward to seeing what they actually do with this new tech idea.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 18, '10, 10:49 pm

Good point, Xander. It would be difficult to use a projection on a moving bus or train, or just outside where there's no flat surfaces. Consoles might be able to use this technology better.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Xander » Mon Sep 20, '10, 10:48 pm

Unless we got those fancy hologram style screens they have in sci-fi things. You know, the ones that appear at the touch of a button?

Ooh, or how about if they made the stuff appear in your eyes instead? Though that's going from projectors to neural interfaces. :D
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Sep 23, '10, 4:52 pm

Other than gaming, this could have all sorts of uses. In terms of gaming...well, if you want to play your DS or other handheld but hate staring at that tiny screen for so long, your problems are solved with this.

Only problem I may be able to see is that if the projector doesn't have sound, and suppose you put it in your console in place of a TV...how will you hear sound?
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 23, '10, 10:28 pm

Good point. I suppose speakers would have to be added to a console for that, or it could allow some kind of audio-out jack for plugging in standalone speakers.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Tech and Design