Pirate Versions Section Added

Site and forum news announced on the front page.

Pirate Versions Section Added

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 13, '08, 12:41 am

I've added a new section to the site to cover the Pirate Versions of Phantasy Star IV. Currently there is a little summary and a partial list of game differences there. Two image galleries are open but empty - they'll begin filling up as more Images of the Day come.

A little known fact: there's actually four pirate versions of PSIV, not just one!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 30, '08, 8:31 pm

Four? Imagine that. o_O I'll have to try the others out, as I've only played Wai Xing Zhan Shi!
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 30, '08, 8:53 pm

Yup! I was surprised when I stumbled across them on some forum about pirate games. I've only been able to get three of them to work so far, though. Wai Xing Zhan Shi works well in most emulators I tried, but the others didn't. I got Xing Zhan Qing Yuan to run in Nestopia, I think. One of the other two (I forget which) hasn't worked in any emulator I've tried so far.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 30, '08, 9:33 pm

I've found that some NES emulators don't handle some roms well. (For example, you couldn't beat Legacy of the Wizard since the final battle would result in Keela the Dragon constantly depleting your life until you died...thus, you couldn't complete the game.) However, using a specific emulator, I been able to get most roms to work, like Castlevania III which some emulators I had couldn't handle. I'd mention the emulator name but I am not sure if that'd break any rules...

Anyhow, I need to get my mitts on those pirated roms! I only knew where to get one, so I'll have to do some searching for the rest. :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 30, '08, 9:45 pm

Nah, naming an emulator is fine. I don't have a problem with emulation discussion as long as there's no providing of commercial ROMs.

I don't remember where I found the other pirate ROMs, but I can tell you this: it was in a pack of several pirate Famicom games and linked on a forum topic on another site. The pack included all four of the PSIV versions, plus a bunch of unrelated games.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 30, '08, 11:36 pm

If that's the case... :O

I like to use FCE Ultra -- you should be able to find it through a google search (however, I am picky with emulation sites and only stick with a few). Have you tried this one yet?

I'll be sure to look around for the forum you mentioned. Or maybe I'll get lucky and a friend of mine just -might- have it...
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 30, '08, 11:45 pm

Yeah, I was using FCE Ultra to start with, but it only worked with the one you already have. The other versions apparently use mappers that it doesn't support. :( I went looking for another emulator on Zophar's. Nestopia was one I tried just because the site said it supported a lot of mappers.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 30, '08, 11:49 pm

Owat! That's like my favorite NES emulator. xD Shame too... I do have another emulator called VirtuaNES which I use for netplay with friends and it isn't too bad, but I have no idea what it's capable of supporting since I use it chiefly for netplay. >_>

Once I get ahold of those roms I'll give it a try and see if it works or not. Very curious, I am.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Return to Site Announcements