Are DVD sets too expensive?

Discussion of television, movies, and other forms of moving pictures.

Are DVD sets too expensive?

Postby Neithird » Thu Dec 20, '07, 9:10 pm

In shopping for presents this year, I looked at some DVD sets of various TV shows. I saw prices ranging from $20 to $600. :o There was also a movie set, from the United Artist studios, that was $900! :faint:

I think that is a little too much, don't you? What is the most you've ever paid or would be willing to pay for a DVD set? I might pay up to $100 if it was a set I really wanted, but I'd never go above that.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Dec 21, '07, 5:09 am

People are insane these days, that guitar hero that sold for more than 9000. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Fri Dec 21, '07, 10:08 pm

Yeah, I've avoided a lot of sets because of the high prices. There are several shows I'd like to have, but I'm not willing to pay $40 for two DVDs like some sets have.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Sat Dec 22, '07, 12:09 am

A lot of those $40 box sets go on sale for $20 - the Smallville and Simpsons ones for example. I always wait them out until they're cheap. There are some others though, like the X-Files ones, that never drop below $60-$80. That's usually more than I'm willing to spend.

I've seen more of those complete series sets lately - they're always triple digits. I guess if you break it down to $X-per-episode some are a good deal.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Dec 22, '07, 3:16 am

Yeah, some of them are outrageously high. Some not worth it either.

I don't know if the United Artist set you spoke of is the one I heard about or not, but if so, I think it has over 90 something movies on it - classics, too. Now, that is well worth the price, I think, although still very expensive. Still, if you bought each movie seperately it would probably cost you more than that. I saw them mention this one on Oprah and the "Extra" entertainment show.

I try and catch them on sale if possible.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Sun Dec 23, '07, 3:06 pm

That's probably the same set. I know it had a bunch of movies in it. Like hugues said, it's a good deal if you look at the cost per movie. $900 for 90, that's $10 each. Not a bad deal at all. Even so, I don't have $900 to blow in one sitting. I might may $10 for the movies individually, but it would be spread out over a long, long time. That's a lot different than all at once.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 23, '07, 7:31 pm

And who has the time to watch 90 movies?! XD Asuming that each would have only a half hour even, that would be 45 hours of 1 show, 2 days worth. XDDDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 25, '07, 12:43 am

I know there are some full length movies in that 900 set, including some of the Rocky movies. If all together, they average 2 hours a piece, that would be a full seven and a half days. It would take a very long time to go through that set.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Thu Dec 27, '07, 1:01 pm

You can really get ripped off for box sets of DVDs, especially anime, which I'm into. I try not to buy them retail, and I can usually find them cheaper on Amazon. Hughes is right, stores do have some pretty good sales, so keep your eye out for them. I recently picked up the newest Family Guy box set at target for $19.99 which is not too bad.

Then I have the opposite extreme where I'm looking for the Abenobashi Box set (anime) and it's $50 for a 13 episode series. I'll wait to find a good deal on this one on Amazon.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Return to Screen Scene