Phantasy Star V

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

What Do you think?

Really amazed and Wanting to play it
71%
Looks good
12%
Its not great but still looks ok
No votes
Pretty Dull if you ask me
12%
I hate your game, how dare you call it phantasy star V.
6%

Total votes : 17

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 5, '07, 3:08 pm

It looks like you have an interesting story and start on this project.

I would suggest changing the name of your Demi character. It may confuse some people, even more so since you're using Wren. The other names are good.

I like what you've done with the shopkeepers. I think some of the other sprites are a little too dark and could use a splash of lighter color. Buck is one of those, and also sword user in the slashing animation. The sprite of Emi in the battle screen looks really nice.

Your re-done dungeon is nice, but honestly I like walls of the first one more. That might change after all the shading is added. There's an awful lot of blood there, though.

I look forward to seeing your future progress. Please do keep us updated on this. I'd be happy to host a download of it in the Downloads section here when you make a release.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby HTD » Mon Nov 5, '07, 7:12 pm

Tsunami

Your right Rome wasnt built in a day and Aw 3099 isnt a day when you think phantasy star 4 was set in Aw 2284, that is like 815 years apart, I think that is enough time for them to make fertilizer that is adaptable to the desert land planet.

I do get your point but PS 4 was where new technology was being rediscovered again..so yes the planet was a baron desert but at the same time it was slowly getting it's feet back on the ground.
You forget how much people of palm relied on Mother Brain unlike PS4 where people are starting to slowly work things out for themselves.

Its fine if you dont care for my story, Im a ps fan also and I understand that a game reflecting a more mature modern period isnt always what fans might want.
I can say that the story fits in and totally uses canon material to justify its place.
Then again it maybe the issue of trying to go with something different that your not into, I understand and respect your view but think you will be pleasantly suprised.

As for characters thats fine but I would prefer a more productive response, tell me WHY you dont care for them and give me some advice about What you would do, this can only help my project.

Appreciate your comments but I feel you havent helped me, it sucks because I actually think you could have alot of great advice to give.
So please dont disregaurd it too soon Tsunami.

Thoul

Yeah I think thats a must do with Demi, I was thinking of renaming her any suggestions?

As for character sprites...Buck is being redesigned as I type so we should have that up for you in no time to see and give comments.
Jona admittedly is too dark so I might see what I can do but the last thing I want is him looking grey, This helps though thanks.

Yeah I loved Emi but....sadly she just didnt fit in with the rest of my game and characters, So she isnt in the game instead is Sara who excutes the role Emi would play with more depth and style imo.
I liked her hair though kinda new age looking.

I'll work on the dungeon and get it up to scratch again.
The only problem is the mega drive (genesis) due to a lack of colour used differing (sprite artist term for using 2 colours to generate the illusion of another colour), my game doesnt use differing as its not the style im looking for to use as the backgrounds.
I want a more PS2 sprite style but with more attention to detail like in PS4.

Thanks for the offer and I certainly will keep it in mind.

I'll have a little update tonight so check back on the original post.

Thanks for your comments once again Guys
HTD
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 25

Postby Tsunami » Mon Nov 5, '07, 10:07 pm

I'll give more constructive criticism, then. And I'll tell you why I think this won't work. :D

HTD wrote:Your right Rome wasnt built in a day and Aw 3099 isnt a day when you think phantasy star 4 was set in Aw 2284, that is like 815 years apart, I think that is enough time for them to make fertilizer that is adaptable to the desert land planet.
Allow me to explain my point. Let's use the real-world example of where mankind stands now. It has taken us a LONG time to get where we are now, with our technology, civilization, etc. and other things. Right? So you can't blame me for being skeptical about this. There was only a 815 year period between this and PSIV, and I somehow doubt that they'd be able to pick themselves up after such a short period of time.

I do understand that you want a PSII setting, but realistically I doubt that'll happen in the PS universe again unless it's many years later, as these things take time.

I do get your point but PS 4 was where new technology was being rediscovered again..so yes the planet was a baron desert but at the same time it was slowly getting it's feet back on the ground.
Yes, there were ruins of the ancient civilization being discovered, and there was much interest in that (like the Academy exploring Birth Valley and bringing back those capsules). But I doubt they'd find the same technology that Motherbrain used to make the planet lush and green.

In PSIV, they struggled to keep those systems going simply to maintain life. The deserts were growing, and the quicksand was spreading. I'm not saying that it's impossible for someone to do an overhaul on this, but in the current situation, Wren and Demi were in charge of watching over it and would be until the system would be fine on its own, yes?

You forget how much people of palm relied on Mother Brain unlike PS4 where people are starting to slowly work things out for themselves.
Actually...that was only PSII. The people of PSI managed on their own, until Motherbrain was introduced to Algo in PSII's setting.

Please, don't assume that I'm forgetting these things.

Its fine if you dont care for my story, Im a ps fan also and I understand that a game reflecting a more mature modern period isnt always what fans might want.
I can say that the story fits in and totally uses canon material to justify its place.
Then again it maybe the issue of trying to go with something different that your not into, I understand and respect your view but think you will be pleasantly suprised.
The thing that bothers me is the Alisa III's place in this. In Aron's ending, the ship did not crash. Your sources are from the Phantasy Star Pages, aren't they?

As for characters thats fine but I would prefer a more productive response, tell me WHY you dont care for them and give me some advice about What you would do, this can only help my project.
Alright.

Many of the characters, I don't really have any problem with, other than I think the sprites can be touched up. :p

But the case for others, they're just edits of other characters. In the case of Lutz, it's like Frankenstein; Rune's head on Hahn's body. Why not create a newer, "modern" version of Lutz? You said you were aiming for the more modern setting, right?

As for Nei, I don't see how she'd have any cells anywhere when she died in PSII, her body most likely left behind in Climatrol. And, from what I know, Seed was the only one who had any Nei cells to use, which was where Rika came from. And, again, the cells were probably destroyed when Seed self-destructed.

The Demi chick, reminds me of a vampire or something like that with her appearance. White skin, black clothes. Either way, I don't think she fits in with the rest of the cast.

Lily...I don't see how she could have wings unless she was some project like Nei when it comes to creating another race. When I saw her sprite with a halo and wings, I assumed that she was dead! :o

I won't comment on the other characters. I don't have any opinion on them, really.

Appreciate your comments but I feel you havent helped me, it sucks because I actually think you could have alot of great advice to give.
So please dont disregaurd it too soon Tsunami.
I apologise, but I'm incredibly picky with these things. I am impressed with the programming, though -- I can't imagine how long it took you to get that done.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 5, '07, 11:12 pm

As for Nei, I don't see how she'd have any cells anywhere when she died in PSII, her body most likely left behind in Climatrol. And, from what I know, Seed was the only one who had any Nei cells to use, which was where Rika came from. And, again, the cells were probably destroyed when Seed self-destructed.

On this point, the Drama CD suggests that Wren may have had data on the Nei experiments. It deals with the existence of another Seed-like system, Gene, that was creating Nei clones. That seems contradictory to the whole Nei can't live without Neifirst thing from PSII, but eh, that's what it does.

Anyway, Wren has a couple of lines that suggest he has access to the data to continue the experiments if necessary.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 6, '07, 12:37 am

I can see where they would have green grass in the cities, maybe it could be just the buildings and towns that have improved on lifestyle, with green surrounding them and them only, the rest could naturally remain a desert with small patches of green from the planet stabalizing itself.

Yeah, about the Nei thing, I was sure Rika was created on the same type of thing.

That room, the dungeon...it was a bit sudden from most of the phantasy stars, they don't usually use blood a lot. Not even in the dead monsters they show in the image movies.

And Tsunami, don't take this badly but you can't really use all 4 scenarios from PS3 because then you would have 4 different stories at the starting point. We still love you! lol
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 6, '07, 2:30 am

Thoul wrote:On this point, the Drama CD suggests that Wren may have had data on the Nei experiments. It deals with the existence of another Seed-like system, Gene, that was creating Nei clones. That seems contradictory to the whole Nei can't live without Neifirst thing from PSII, but eh, that's what it does.

Anyway, Wren has a couple of lines that suggest he has access to the data to continue the experiments if necessary.
I see. However, I was going off the game, not some material made up by Sega. :D It has many holes and inconsistancies, which just makes it all the more confusing!

As for Wren's lines, I don't recall them; I'll look this up since you've piqued my interest!

SparkyIII wrote:And Tsunami, don't take this badly but you can't really use all 4 scenarios from PS3 because then you would have 4 different stories at the starting point. We still love you! lol
Yay, I'm loved! And I love you too. <3

Anyhow, I know that not all endings could be used. :p Going off of what HTD stated as the general plotline, it is going off one of the endings, being Aron's, as the Alisa III travels back in time through a black hole. However, it doesn't crash, though...
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 6, '07, 5:22 am

I see. However, I was going off the game, not some material made up by Sega. :D

But that's what the game is too... :p But yes, it quite confusing to be sure. I'm not sure if I would consider this to be canon myself, but one could make an argument for it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 6, '07, 5:53 am

Thoul wrote:
I see. However, I was going off the game, not some material made up by Sega. :D

But that's what the game is too... :p But yes, it quite confusing to be sure. I'm not sure if I would consider this to be canon myself, but one could make an argument for it.
But I mean the stuff that they left out of the game! :lol: You know, like NM-2011. She doesn't exist in any games, so I just ignore the idea.

And I did look through Wren's dialogue in PSIV, but I couldn't find anything supporting that Wren had access to any data.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby HTD » Tue Nov 6, '07, 5:58 am

Well technically any game not created by Sega cannot be Canon.
I appreciate your help guys and promise to start working on some new designs.

Sparky III good point about the cities.
I do want to make clear that some areas of the game are not as civilized as the city shown above.

In my game the Church plays a significant role for how they have evolved in such a medium amount of time.

This is the type of advice I needed and my many thanks to you all.
Tsunami I knew you had some good advice to share thanks.
HTD
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 25

Postby Neithird » Tue Nov 6, '07, 6:56 am

I think it's very impressive work so far, HTD. I look forward to seeing the rest, but I hope all the cities are not so dark in color.

A lot of the little character protraits look too much like edits of PSIV images for my tastes. Like this one. It's too obviously Demi.

Tsunami wrote:And I did look through Wren's dialogue in PSIV, but I couldn't find anything supporting that Wren had access to any data.

Didn't Rika say something like that, though? She mentioned being in contact with Zelan before the game. That could mean Wren had access to the data. He runs the whole network, so he should be able to get at everything.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More