Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, '15, 8:57 am 
So a while ago I watched the latest episode of Board James which was about board games that were based on video games, and he talked about ones based on Pac Man, Mario, Zelda, Street Fighter II and Tetris. I wondered why he didn't review the Defender board game I saw at Yestercades of Red Bank, and so when I went to look for pictures of it, I stumbled upon a site called boardgamegeek.com and there were more board games based on video games than I could've ever imagined! There's been ones based on Defender, Jungle Hunt, Q*Bert, Berzerk, Wizard of Wor, Sonic, Ghosts N Goblins, Gradius, Frogger and various others, and now I'm wondering what video game-based board games that haven't been made yet, like Power Stone and Phantasy Star. Would the Phantasy Star one be based on a specific entry in the series or would it use elements from all 4 of the classic series titles? How do you think it would be played?

Last edited by MrKite on Sat Sep 12, '15, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, '15, 3:28 pm 
I have yet to play a board game based on a video game that was carried over well. But I'm also not a big board game person. However, my dad is, and through him, I'm quite familiar with boardgamegeek.com and I do play them with him and my brother when we visit my parents. He posts there a lot and has apparently become known in that community for how good he is at creating single-player rules for a variety of board games, which he readily shares with everyone there.

While something like a turn-based RPG like Phantasy Star seems like it would translate to a board game far better than a more action-oriented title like Sonic, I'm still a bit wary of the concept. I don't know the first thing about good board game design, so I have no idea how you would create a good board game from Phantasy Star. But I would think that with care, it could be done.

I have heard that the Gears of War board game (based on the video game) is quite good, bucking the trend a bit.

Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Sep 12, '15, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, '15, 6:43 pm 
The Megaman board game that came out looks pretty decent. You want to see bad ones, check out the Street Fighter II and the Tetris board games. They're hysterically awful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, '15, 2:24 am 
Interesting topic and question Mr. Kite! I love board games for the most part but don't think I have ever played any video game related board games. A friend has the Link board game but has never played it trying to keep it in perfect condition I suppose! I couldn't stand the suspense of not playing it myself, if I had one that is.

About a Phantasy Star board game, it would be neat if they could do a separate game based on all the Phantasy Star variations, but I don't see that happening, so maybe they could try and incorporate them all together in one board game somehow.

I will have to check that board game site out. I have heard about it before but don't think I have ever been there. Sounds like fun!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, '15, 2:39 am 
Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Interesting topic and question Mr. Kite! I love board games for the most part but don't think I have ever played any video game related board games. A friend has the Link board game but has never played it trying to keep it in perfect condition I suppose! I couldn't stand the suspense of not playing it myself, if I had one that is.

About a Phantasy Star board game, it would be neat if they could do a separate game based on all the Phantasy Star variations, but I don't see that happening, so maybe they could try and incorporate them all together in one board game somehow.

I will have to check that board game site out. I have heard about it before but don't think I have ever been there. Sounds like fun!

I was certainly surprised by what I found there. Many I never even knew existed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, '15, 11:40 pm 
I think the Battleship approach of this Dragon Quest game could fit the first Phantasy Star if it got adapted to a board game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/276 ... -dungeon-r

Besides, I just had to mention DQ. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, '15, 4:15 am 
LaShiec: (grinning evilly) D7!
Alisa: Miss. C4.
LaShiec: Hit! Damn you, Landale!!
Alisa: Look, LaShiec, can you just call out a square?
LaShiec: D7!!
Alisa: Miss. You called that one already.
LaShiec: You're lying! I know you've got the Laconia Sword there!
Alisa: (has merrily been moving all of her playing pieces around the game board so LaShiec keeps missing them) It's not there, LaShiec. H2.
LaShiec: (unnaturally eerie silence for a couple seconds) (flips table, spilling soda and sending playing pieces everywhere) (crosses arms and sulks)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, '17, 1:02 pm 
Ah ! Nice topic here ! Did you know that many years ago my dream was to try to make a board game about Phantasy Star ? Or maybe a card game ! That was one of my dream ! I've started to try to print maps from the different games and try to make some ways with round marks to simulate a shifting ! Because for me it was impossibe not to use a board representing the different planets and even dungeons !
But I haven't finished it (and have never succeeded in going "far" in this project, alas.. :()
Maybe one day I'll try it again ? But it's hard to find rules to play it ! It's the more difficult I think...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, '17, 3:01 am 
What a wonderful topic! I would love to see a board game based on the first entry in the series. The other entries can wait their turn!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, '17, 11:31 am 
yep, the first one was the main I would like to start with or play with it ! aybe a mix between board and card game ? Hard to tell...
Maybe I'll try to think again about it but not now : lack of time... :(

Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next