Phantasy Star Sequal (my fangame)

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Re: Phantasy Star Sequal (my fangame)

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Jun 13, '14, 12:52 am

Ok so there is no composition involved, basically you do instrument swaps on midis. Well, in the case of the song you uploaded, the result works very well. Mind you, you've picked one of the songs I hate the most in all 4 PS games so I don't have much to say about it but, from a technical point of view: your attack and velocity control is really exceptional (I don't know if you did those or if they were already automated in the midi file you used). The instruments are fine, though I'd lower the slap-bass's volume by at least 2dB

More please ;-)
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Mikepjr » Fri Jun 13, '14, 1:07 am

I'm actually considering just changing out the bass to another kind of bass.. but finding one that works takes me forever. I tried lowering it once actually, but then it was just.. real hard to hear.
Which is why i'm thinking a different bass all together might work better.
The attack and velocity is me actually.
By default it sounded pretty bad.
I picked that song because i felt it was one of those songs that could use a lot of improvement, and i felt it would work well in some situations like my mine.
I always DID feel it needed work though.
I got a remake of the biolab theme i don't feel right about either.. i might upload it next.
Something is just... off about it.. i mean i love where i am trying to go with it.. but it does feel very off.
But the next theme i think i will upload is the battle theme i am going to use.. ACTUALLY, i think i will upload the 2 battle themes i am considering.. one is a remix of the PS2 battle theme, the other is a remix of the PS4 battle theme.. i love them both.. but not sure which one i want to go with.
Mikepjr
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 31

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Jun 13, '14, 1:09 am

Use both, player will be twice the happy.

Can't wait to hear your other pieces. What software do you use?
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby jessie » Fri Jun 13, '14, 1:40 am

I really like what I see and hear. Look forward to more!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 39

Postby Mikepjr » Fri Jun 13, '14, 1:46 am

Aeroprism wrote:Use both, player will be twice the happy.

Can't wait to hear your other pieces. What software do you use?

Using a .. semi-free piece of software called SynthFont...using an early version cause it does not nag me to death to donate.. aka pay for it cause it's not REALLY free.

I'm also still learning some things.. like i don't understand what a VST Effect is, nor how to use them.

I would buy some software to use, but i can't find any i can afford.. that or like in the case of SynthFont, i can't really just use my credit card cause i'm in the US, and the guy or girl who makes it i think is in the UK or EU.

Did a search on VSTs and it did not turn up anything.
If anyone could at least give me some directions on what the heck i'm doing so i can make these sound more improved, i would appreciate it.
Mikepjr
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Jun 13, '14, 2:10 am

I use Propellerhead's: Reason 5.0, paid for many years ago, cost a bundle too but it's pro software, a complete virtual studio.

Which brings me to your question: VST = Virtual Studio Technology. Basically, Synthfont is not a music creating software but an interface to manipulate midi files. With it, you're not actually writing music but modifying music that was already existent. With a VST, you could do the real thing. In Synthfont's case, the VST option is a plugin so it can be used in a Virtual Studio. On a standalone console like Synthfont, I'd say it does nothing, but I could be wrong.

If you are serious about making music and if you're just starting to learn how to use music tools, I'd suggest you try and get a cheap (or free) virtual studio instead.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Mikepjr » Fri Jun 13, '14, 4:08 am

Well.. i'd say i'm serious about making my remixes sound better.. not really composing music.. i could never wrap my head around such an endeavor.

No it's called a "Output VST Effects ("FX")" I figured maybe it's some sort of .. means to add effects to the sounds playing... but i just needed more info on it.

I just realized something about that particular song i forgot all to gether.. i changed ONE instrument to a bass.. but originally it's like.. a bell.. the entire theme seems to use the same instrument, though i could be wrong.

I'm not sure where to go with it.. i tried making the slap bass quieter.. but i am having hell getting it to be heard and yet be quiet.. getting just the right volume is proving super difficult, and it sounds off to me in my ears.
Using a different bass all together is not working out either...
I even tried not using a bass at all, like a bell.. as the original sounds like bells of some sort... did not sound right either.

Maybe a different guitar... i'll try that next.

-update-
Arg! That sounds bad to... even trying a Clavinet.. ugh... kinda sounds good.. but this nagging voice in the back of my head is telling me it won't be good enough.
Last edited by Mikepjr on Fri Jun 13, '14, 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mikepjr
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Jun 13, '14, 2:56 pm

I like the song, nice work on changing the atmosphere of it. I love In the Cave, myself, one of my favorite PS IV themes, so I'm glad to hear this one. I do like the heavier bass here, but I agree with Aeroprism that it might stand out in the mix a little, but like you said, lowering it might create its own problems; I'm hopeless with mixing.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Mikepjr » Sat Jun 14, '14, 2:10 am

You think you feel hopeless?
I feel like this is gonna tear me up >_<
I'm going to just go back and try and make the bass a little lower, but if you listen to the original, the bass just replaces this loud bell that repeats, even in the original theme, that track is pretty loud.
I hate to.. but i might just leave it like it is and move on.
Nothing else is working anyhow.

By the way... i know i was going to post some more of my remixes.. i'm just not sure i should..
What i NEED to do, is get some more screen shots posted, and maybe do some drawing and get some art done. I still have no solid face sets..
Last edited by Mikepjr on Sat Jun 14, '14, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikepjr
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Aeroprism » Sat Jun 14, '14, 2:30 am

What you need to do is enjoy your hobby, stop worrying and stop putting yourself down.

So far, everybody here is interested by what you do. That is a good thing.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More