Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, '10, 8:27 am 
Well, the title of this topic is self-explanatory enough, I hope. :p In short, I was bored and recolored a LOT of portraits and looked around for lookalikes in the Phantasy Star series (I-IV).

I left some characters out, like the two Wrens (from PSIII and PSIV). They are two different characters, and despite the fact that they are alike, they were intended to be that way, so it felt pointless to include him (for instance). I've heard that Rhys and Rolf look alike, but I don't see it beyond the blue hair. But that's just me. =p

PSI: Odin vs Rudo
ImageImage
I always thought they shared some resemblance, both being blond and strong with big guns. ;p

PSII: Clone Lab Grandma vs Boy George
ImageImage
I dunno about any of you, but I always thought there was a striking resemblance between the two of these ladies! :o
(...yes, I am aware that Boy George is a man) >_>

PSII: Rolf vs Chaz
ImageImage
Both have armor, shoulder pads, bandannas, hair. Yes, hair. =p They both have it. However, I wanted to see how they would look recolored with each other's palettes.
ImageImage
Rolf lacks the stripe that runs down Chaz's suit and their hair's a bit different. Otherwise, it's an interesting recolor and it came out all right.

PSII: Anna vs Alys
ImageImage
Both ladies are strikingly similar in concept art (espcially if you've seen Anna's art). =P
ImageImage
Both women have white trim on their outfits, shoulder pads...slashers.

PSII: Rolf vs Kyra
ImageImage
I've always thought they looked alike in their portraits. *shrug* Blue hair, yellow things on their foreheads... :p

PSII: Nei vs Rika
ImageImage
Both girls are of the same race and use claws, healing techs, and wear similar clothing (though Rika does have that armor and cape), but does that mean that they necessarily look alike? Rika was based off Nei, but I always felt that they did enough with her to differentiate between the two.
ImageImage
I removed the black from the tips of Rika's ears, but didn't bother adding them to Nei's (because I forgot ^.^;;).

PSII: Amy vs Shir
ImageImage
They share a sprite, recolored albeit, so this was a fun curiosity:
ImageImage

PSII: Amy vs Lena
ImageImage
I always thought there was some resemblance between Lena and Amy, so I thought a recolor was in order. :D
ImageImage

PSII: Hugh vs Hahn
ImageImage
I never saw any physical resemblance between these two, myself. Mostly I'd judge this based on their techs and the fact that Hahn is a professor teaching at Piata, while Hugh was a Biologist.
ImageImage
However, recoloring them was...interesting. Hahn was a pain to color due to his hair having a decent amount of black in it as a the darker color/shading, but still perfectly doable. I don't think I can look at 'em the same, personally. =P

PSIII: Ryan vs Seth
ImageImage
I always saw a big similarity, here. Both are middle-aged with black hair and have mustaches! =o

PSIII: Ayn vs Rune
ImageImage
I included their walking sprites since I felt that was the most apparent resemblance I noticed.

So, please do share any thoughts on this, or even post other resemblances. I might add more if I think of anything, but this is the bulk of the things I could remember.


EDIT: Fixed a typo. Was late and I was tired when I posted this anyways. =P


Last edited by Tsunami on Tue Jun 15, '10, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, '10, 9:56 am 
ImageImage

Trent Reznor/Zio
I saw this at camineet awhile ago and was shocked at the resemblance.

Honestly, I never thought Hahn and Hugh looked alike, but after the recoor, the coincidence is astonishing.


Top
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, '10, 11:33 am 
This thread is awesome! Thanks, Tsunami! Your recolors are excellent; do you mind if I swipe them? I'm not going to use them anywhere, I just like collecting interesting PS stuff. :)

Anna and Alys are astonishingly similar. I mean, all one really has to do is convert Anna's long, voluminous 1980s hair into long, slightly-less-voluminous 1990s hair and *poof* Alys appears. Anna's outfit in her text game was red, too.

Odin and Rudo are definitely more than similar. In addition to being the big, brawny guys with short blond hair, neither of them can use magic/techs.

And yes, I used to think the clone lab grandma was like Boy George in clown makeup. Seriously creepy.

Speaking of text games, you could also compare Hahn to Hugh's text game character, as well as a character from Amy's game, Heinz (Hugh? Heinz? Hahn? Anyone picking up a trend here?)

Hugh: Image
Hugh: Image
Heinz: Image (OK, This Heinz guy? He's cute. :oops: )
Hahn: Image

Here's a pic of Rolf at the age of about 10-11 years old, I think. This might be a little more comparable to Chaz:
Image

Here's a comparison of the armor shop guy from PSIII with Rolf:
ImageImage

Laila from PS Adventure and Mieu:
Image
Image

Rudo's and Wren's armor has that same red dot thingie (actually, their outfits are very similar in many respects):
ImageImage


Top
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, '10, 7:19 pm 
Great comparisons, Tsunami! Seeing everyone recolored like that really drives home the similarity between the characters. I knew a lot of PSIV's crew was based on PSII's party, but it doesn't really sink in until you see something like this.

I'm pretty sure that Laila from Adventure must have been based directly on Mieu. I've never read anything confirming it, but they just look way too much alike.


Top
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, '10, 8:37 pm 
Nice topic, Tsu! There's been mentions on the site concerning PS character lookalikes or, more extremely, "rip offs" of PS characters in the series. This post is a nice examination of such statements.

I'd have to say that the only real similaries I can see is Odin/Rudo (although they don't look exactly alike), and especially Anna/Alys. With the recoloring, you can especially see that Alys was definitely influenced by Anna's appearance, but they also share the same "tough gal" persona. You certainly can see "some" similaries between Nei and Rika, but they look really different in the face. Of course, being that Rika's genotype is based off Nei's, some similaries are expected. Personality wise, they are incredibly dissimilar.

Personally, I think Rolf and Chaz look.nothing.alike. The only characteristics they share, really, is the headband, and the lengthy bangs (and even those look different). Chaz clearly has a baby face with big green eyes and fuller cheeks. Rolf is more hardened and manly. (Their personalities are incredibly different, too; like comparing apples and oranges!)

Nice comparison, Atlin, of Zio to Trent Reznor! I can definitely see it myself. Also, Davey Havok from AFI also has similaries to Zio, I would say, although Davey is slightly more effeminate in some photos.

Image

The comparison to Boy George and the chemist is a riot, although Boy George wouldn't allow his skin to look like that. ^^


Top
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, '10, 9:56 pm 
If there's any recolors or some such that someone requests to be done, I would be more than happy to do it. :)

Tanith wrote:This thread is awesome! Thanks, Tsunami! Your recolors are excellent; do you mind if I swipe them? I'm not going to use them anywhere, I just like collecting interesting PS stuff. :)
Thanks. ^_^ Feel free to take 'em, I don't mind.

Quote:Speaking of text games, you could also compare Hahn to Hugh's text game character, as well as a character from Amy's game, Heinz (Hugh? Heinz? Hahn? Anyone picking up a trend here?)
Those were very interesting! Guess Hugh's more recycled than I thought... >.>

Quote:Here's a comparison of the armor shop guy from PSIII with Rolf:
ImageImage
That was one that I forgot about and I totally agree with! xD He looks more like Rolf than Chaz does.

I've seen the Mieu and Laila comparison, but I've never played any of the PS side games so I can't comment much. =\

Rune_Walsh wrote:Nice topic, Tsu! There's been mentions on the site concerning PS character lookalikes or, more extremely, "rip offs" of PS characters in the series. This post is a nice examination of such statements.
Thanks. ^^ That's why I made this thread, honestly. I wanted to investigate these comparisons myself, and wanted to share my findings. =p

Quote:Personally, I think Rolf and Chaz look.nothing.alike. The only characteristics they share, really, is the headband, and the lengthy bangs (and even those look different). Chaz clearly has a baby face with big green eyes and fuller cheeks. Rolf is more hardened and manly. (Their personalities are incredibly different, too; like comparing apples and oranges!)
When I first recolored it, I thought they seemed more different than I originally thought. Kinda makes me think that they are even less alike. >_>


Top
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, '10, 2:24 am 
I forgot to add in my last post that the similarities between Ayn and Rune are very interesting. They even have a similar hair style. I always liked Ayn; he seems like the sweetheart of the PSIII. If he ends up marrying Sari, I'm sure Sari wears the pants in that relationship!

I still can't get over how similar Anna and Alys are when you recolor them. They have the same cat eyes! The same pointy chin! The same upturned nose! All of that is more noticeable with the recolors. I mean, I knew Alys was most likely based on Anna (slicer-users, similar professions, unknown ages, unknown backgrounds, tough personalities), but now that I think about it, they might be the most similar. In no way do I think this makes Alys's character or personality less interesting, mind you. In fact, if Alys is the fleshed-out version of Anna, then I'm glad they brought back the character. I think Anna is super-cool!

Quote:If there's any recolors or some such that someone requests to be done, I would be more than happy to do it. :)
I do, I do! Give me a bit to think about which, though. Whee! Fun!


Top
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, '10, 3:02 pm 
Agreed, Anna and Alys are pretty much copy/paste with a splash of hair dye. ^^ Although, with the slightly wavier hair and those defined cat eyes, I am inclined to think Anna is sexier.

Tanith wrote:I forgot to add in my last post that the similarities between Ayn and Rune are very interesting. They even have a similar hair style. I always liked Ayn; he seems like the sweetheart of the PSIII. If he ends up marrying Sari, I'm sure Sari wears the pants in that relationship!


Meh, the only similarities they have is the long-ish hair that is blue in color (Ayn's hair is such a light shade while Rune's is a darker shade of cyan), and the fact that they both can cast spells (although Ayn is nowhere in Rune's league). In the face, I don't think they look anything alike, really. Ayn has a very pointy schnoz and Rune's, well, is your typical generic anime nose. ^^

Personality-wise, they are nothing alike. Ayn is very laid back and is gentle, as you say, while Rune is a bit of a rogue -- mischievous, assertive, and playful -- but he also is very much a gentleman... when he wants to be. ^^


Top
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, '10, 3:27 pm 
Rune_Walsh wrote:Agreed, Anna and Alys are pretty much copy/paste with a splash of hair dye. ^^ Although, with the slightly wavier hair and those defined cat eyes, I am inclined to think Anna is sexier.
Anna also wears a mini dress, which certainly ramps up the sexuality. (In the gen2 version of PSII, Anna's wearing thigh-high fishnets as well. Now, I'd really like to know how that fits in with her duties as a guardian. Does she lure bad hunters with her sexy wiles and then kick their butts when they're all goo-goo eyed for her? Hmm, that's actually not a bad plan! :D) Shir and Amy are cute, but I'm fairly confident Anna was supposed to fill the role of Sex Kitten in PSII. Alys... eh. She's definitely pretty, but she doesn't seem the type to use sex appeal as a weapon.

Rune_Walsh wrote:Personality-wise, they are nothing alike. Ayn is very laid back and is gentle, as you say, while Rune is a bit of a rogue -- mischievous, assertive, and playful -- but he also is very much a gentleman... when he wants to be. ^^
Oh yeah, I definitely agree. The better comparison, personality-wise, would be between Rune and Lyle, though I think Rune was less scheming than Lyle. It's probably a maturity thing. :wink:


Top
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, '10, 4:32 pm 
I love it! Anna is a femme fatale; kickin' butt in high heels and a miniskirt! Respect! ^^

Tanith wrote: Alys... eh. She's definitely pretty, but she doesn't seem the type to use sex appeal as a weapon.


Agreed! Alys is cool and all, but femme fatale she is not. She is more of the cute, athletic type - the gym chick. ^^

Tanith wrote:Oh yeah, I definitely agree. The better comparison, personality-wise, would be between Rune and Lyle, though I think Rune was less scheming than Lyle. It's probably a maturity thing. :wink:


Once again, I completely agree! Rune and Lyle are very similar... even in the face, a bit! But you're right on Lyle... he is more of a schemer.


Top
 Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: