Phantasy Star IV Purgatory Mode Mod

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Phantasy Star IV Purgatory Mode Mod

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Sep 25, '07, 12:14 am

I received a great deal of feedback on this one, but I'd always like to hear more! What do you all think of it? Too many new abilities? Too few :o ? Or is it just right? It's definitely a grinder!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Sep 26, '07, 1:02 am

This applies to both patches, but I'll post it here. Today, I received another comment about the EXP the monsters give being too low. Increasing the EXP isn't something I'm interested in, but would you all like to see a third version of the hack, (probably based off of Purgatory since it's more popular,) that increases all the monster EXP? It wouldn't be that hard for me to change, but I probably wouldn't get to it until the PSII hack is finished.

I also was thinking of doing some script edits on PSIV, since I'm doing some to PSII. For PSIV, I would include these changes in all the versions of my hack (Hell, Purgatory, and a potential higher EXP one). This would take a LONG time though, since I'd have to document every line in the game. Any interested parties? [EDIT]: I forgot that I couldn't crack the PSIV encryption on the text... so it's out of the question to redo the script with my knowledge. And I so wanted to change that horrific "there is no one single truth... Chaz!" line. Darn. :( Maybe I'll go dive into PSII's instead!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 26, '07, 2:22 am

If people are having that much trouble with the EXP, a third patch may be a good idea.

I was just thinking yesterday that there are a few places where the PSIV script could use some improvements. For the most part it is okay, but a few lines don't make very much sense.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Oct 7, '07, 3:21 am

I think during football tomorrow I'll buckle down and make a new version of both these PSIV patches, doubling the EXP and Meseta to finish them off for good! It shouldn't take very long.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Oct 7, '07, 6:06 am

Wow, it didn't take very long! I've finished both versions. Thoul, the Hell one is at: http://www.geocities.com/thedollaraveng ... Meseta.zip

The Purgatory is at: http://www.geocities.com/thedollaraveng ... Meseta.zip

Feel free to add them to the site.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Heikabuchi » Sun Nov 4, '07, 3:53 pm

This is the best mod I've seen! 8O
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Chris8282 » Thu Dec 20, '07, 12:48 am

I think it's too hard :( I've played almost every RPG ever made but this game kicks my butt. I don't think I'm the only one, there's some videos on youtube which are pretty much all where they get there butt kicked. But oh well, I'm willing to go for the challenge (even though it makes PS2 look like a cake walk)

But, just one question, did you test this patch first? As in did you go through the game and try out the difficulty for yourself?
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 6

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 20, '07, 1:16 am

He did to some degree, but I'm not sure how indepth the testing went. It requires a lot of leveling to make it through the patched game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Chris8282 » Thu Dec 20, '07, 1:57 am

I noticed, but that's not the problem. I'm on my way to Tonoe and I was from the beginning dedicated to not using save states and to only play the game through like on a Genesis, but that seems to be impossible since even if I only run a few attacks get through and my parties almost all gone.

I was just wondering if the author or anyone else has completed or atleast gotten a good portion of the game done.
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Chris8282 » Thu Dec 20, '07, 1:59 am

Also, I just completed a legit run-through of PS2 today (the same day I started this PS4 mod) and this game is still a lot harder than anything in PS2.. and I'm not even to Tonoe yet. And Tonoe's dungeon was the first challenge in all my PS4 playthroughs.. So that dungeon will probably be where I quit unless I can figure something out.
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More