Phantasy Star IV: Looking Back

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Phantasy Star IV: Looking Back

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 13, '09, 5:30 am

Standing in the door of the Landale, Rika looks back at her friends that will remain on Motavia. A look of longing cross her face. She is really going through an emotional ringer right now. Even with her warring emotions, she turns around and boards the ship.

You may view the gallery page for Looking Back. This image can also be selected as an avatar from the galleries on the avatar tab of the Member Control Panel.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Tue Jan 13, '09, 6:23 am

She looks confused :? . I dare say a lot is going through her mind at this moment.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby newsblade » Tue Jan 13, '09, 4:47 pm

Why was she going with Wren and Demi?
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Darkil » Tue Jan 13, '09, 5:57 pm

Well Wren would be able to teach her education wise and perhaps with Demi's help she can learn about emotions as well.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Srijita » Tue Jan 13, '09, 6:41 pm

[face=Times New Roman]As Seed's "daughter", Rika's original role was in helping to maintain Motavia's environmental control systems from her operational base at the Bio-Plant. Wren was one of her mentors. With the completion of the mission, she is free to resume her original work. The Bio-Plant, however, is no more, and she may feel that Zelan is now the most appropriate base for her. [/face]
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby newsblade » Tue Jan 13, '09, 9:17 pm

Yes, but Wren and Demi are eternal, Rika's lifespan is 100yrs (max). Was she doing that for the rest of her life?

Besides Wren said this:

«Without the support of the environmental maintenance system, mankind was unable to survive. Because of that, we thought to quickly create a human race with stronger vitality for the rough environment (...) you neitypes are our last remaining hope.»

Rika was the last NM version. I suppose she (the last NM version) now had to breed with a human to spread those new kind of humans.... humans that wouldn't easily die and, in this way, the human race could persist for many millennia.

How did Wren think she was able to accomplish that in Zelan? (this was something that someone asked me, and I couldn't answer)
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Darkil » Tue Jan 13, '09, 10:34 pm

Perhaps they wanted to see how things would evolve first then send out Rika.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Srijita » Wed Jan 14, '09, 10:30 am

[face=Times New Roman]
newsblade wrote:Yes, but Wren and Demi are eternal, Rika's lifespan is 100yrs (max). Was she doing that for the rest of her life?

I don’t suppose she was thinking long-term at this point. She was lacking in maturity and experience, displaced, and looking for a place to live, albeit perhaps a temporary one. Out of all the Protectors, Rika was the only one who was rendered homeless by events. The obvious choice for her was to go back to doing what she knew best, with the mentors who had known her the longest. She wasn’t necessarily planning on spending the rest of her life on Zelan, but it would have provided her with time and space to grow and make a life plan.

In the event, of course, she didn’t join Wren and Demi or resume her original work. She realised that her affection for Chaz was not purely platonic and began a romantic relationship with him.

Besides Wren said this:
«Without the support of the environmental maintenance system, mankind was unable to survive. Because of that, we thought to quickly create a human race with stronger vitality for the rough environment (...) you neitypes are our last remaining hope.»
How did Wren think she was able to accomplish that in Zelan? (this was something that someone asked me, and I couldn't answer)

I don’t suppose he considered it a long-term arrangement, either. He couldn’t send a naïve, one year-old girl into the world with the advice: “Rika, go forth and multiply!” If one of her other friends had offered to take her in, then it might have been a different matter; but I daresay most locations would not have been suitable. Neither the Esper mansion, nor the University of Piata, nor Gryz’s village in Tonoe were viable options for her. Chaz’s house in Aiedo was the best bet, but he was perhaps too embarrassed to have suggested it, wrestling with romantic feelings himself. Wren and Demi were willing to provide her with a home and an opportunity to continue her work while she gained maturity and decided on her next life move.

Real life is not a bad analogy here. Most parents want their children to marry, but don’t necessarily throw them out of the family home at a tender age to expedite that end. Some do, perhaps, but hopefully not many. :wink:
[/face]
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby newsblade » Wed Jan 14, '09, 2:48 pm

That makes scene, thankyou!
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Re: Phantasy Star IV: Looking Back

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 4, '18, 8:37 pm

Bumping up this former Image Of The Day!

Farewells are hard sometimes.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Featured Images