Phantasy Star IV PC release in 2004??? What is this???

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Re: Phantasy Star IV PC release in 2004??? What is this???

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 14, '10, 8:00 pm

I've also never heard of any "official" Sega release of PSIV on the PC (hence why I created this very topic, because it was the first time I was seeing this one, and it made me curious). If it truly exists, I would like to see it indeed.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby xellos667 » Fri Aug 6, '10, 6:44 pm

I'm Bringing Up My Post (BUMP) to specify that my request of bringing down the link on Gamefaqs for this version seems to have done something...it's still there, but not under the name Phantasy Star IV...they changed it for the japanese subtitle that could mean End of the Millenium...REALLY??? What's the point???
Last edited by xellos667 on Fri Aug 6, '10, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Thoul » Fri Oct 8, '10, 6:37 pm

I've been doing some research on this today and apparently, it is legitimate. First, I found the game listed on Amazon Japan, where Google translates the title as "Phantasy Star - Sega Game Honpo - The End of the Millennium." Unfortunately it says they won't ship outside of Japan, or I'd try to buy this with some Amazon balance I have.

I did some searching on "Sega Game Honpo," which was an unfamiliar term to me. It was a Japan-only Sega game download service running from 2003 to 2006. Sega used it to sell cheap PC versions of Mega Drive and Mega CD games. A Japanese Wikipedia page lists PSII, III, IV, and the eight PSII Text Adventures as some of the games on this service.

Amazon (Google translated) lists the game as being made by "Mediakaito." The Wiki page for that company lists Sega Game Honpo as one of their projects. Also, the Sega Game Honpo Wiki page says "Mediakaito" sold packaged PC versions of some games, which would be where this version of PSIV comes in, I suppose.

The relevant links:
Phantasy Star - Sega Game Honpo - The End of the Millennium on Amazon
1up.com announces Sega Game Honpo opening (article date is apparently incorrect)
1up.com announces new games on Sega Game Honpo (article date is apparently incorrect)
Mediakaito on Japan Wikipedia -- Google translate version
Sega Game Honpo on Japan Wikipedia -- Google translate version
"Mediakaito" official site
"Mediakaito" official site - Sega Game Honpo support page (Google translate version)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby xellos667 » Fri Oct 8, '10, 6:45 pm

Wow, you've been doing a lot of PS Homework Thoul today. Thanks for all this great info. Yes my contact also confirmed to me that it's official product. In fact, he already have it at its home, ready to be shipped for me. So I'll put pictures as usual once I receive to see what's inside the package. And might even try to install it on my computer.
xellos667
Android
Android

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star IV