Phantasy Star IV: After Him!

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Phantasy Star IV: After Him!

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 18, '08, 8:20 am

In concern, Rika rushes after Chaz as he leaves behind Le Roof and the mission to defeat the Profound Darkness. Wren is quick to follow, perhaps to look after her. He is one of her mentors, after all. Rune stays behind for a moment. Perhaps he is still taking in all of the secrets Le Roof has revealed. As Lutz, he has been working toward learning these truths for five lifetimes.

Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Thu Sep 18, '08, 8:32 am

lol Thats my Rika always looking out for her friends and trying to help when they're worried or in this case totally lost with them selves.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Re: Phantasy Star IV: After Him!

Postby Srijita » Thu Sep 18, '08, 2:13 pm

Thoul wrote: He is one of her mentors, after all. Rune stays behind for a moment. Perhaps he is still taking in all of the secrets Le Roof has revealed. As Lutz, he has been working toward learning these truths for five lifetimes.

[face=Times New Roman]Perhaps he is also pondering how best to handle Chaz's doubts and internal conflicts. :wink: Just as Wren and Seed were Rika's mentors, Rune (to some extent) fulfils the same role for Chaz. At one level, Rune's judgement in choosing him as a "Protector" is on the line here. However, I'm inclined to believe that he genuinely cares about Chaz, above and beyond ensuring that he steps to the fore in the fight against the Profound Darkness. [/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Sep 20, '08, 10:18 am

Srijita wrote:
Thoul wrote: He is one of her mentors, after all. Rune stays behind for a moment. Perhaps he is still taking in all of the secrets Le Roof has revealed. As Lutz, he has been working toward learning these truths for five lifetimes.

[face=Times New Roman]Perhaps he is also pondering how best to handle Chaz's doubts and internal conflicts. :wink: Just as Wren and Seed were Rika's mentors, Rune (to some extent) fulfils the same role for Chaz. At one level, Rune's judgement in choosing him as a "Protector" is on the line here. However, I'm inclined to believe that he genuinely cares about Chaz, above and beyond ensuring that he steps to the fore in the fight against the Profound Darkness. [/face]

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly! We as the audience first witness Rune's figure as guardian and guider to Chaz with Alys' passing. If it wasn't for Rune, Chaz would never have excelled to the warrior he became at the end of the game.

Wren is a teacher to Rika, but it is ultimately Rune who is the leader of the group, I think, due to his memories and experiences as Lutz. Also Rune is the is the "adult" of the group (besides Hahn and Alys, but after they are gone, it's just Rune). I mean, Chaz is just a teenager, and Rika is a year-old in the body of a teenager. :mrgreen:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 20, '08, 7:51 pm

Hm, you know, I never really viewed anyone as the leader, other than Alys. Rune would be the best to fill that role, but he seems more like the kind of person that would gently nudge the others into the right decisions rather than a clear cut "follow me!" type.

He is definitely Chaz's guiding light and mentor at this point though, that's for sure. I guess if Kyra is Chaz's "big sister," Rune is his big brother.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Sep 20, '08, 9:58 pm

Thoul wrote:Hm, you know, I never really viewed anyone as the leader, other than Alys. Rune would be the best to fill that role, but he seems more like the kind of person that would gently nudge the others into the right decisions rather than a clear cut "follow me!" type.

He is definitely Chaz's guiding light and mentor at this point though, that's for sure. I guess if Kyra is Chaz's "big sister," Rune is his big brother.

I agree, Thoul - Rune's leadership was subtle, but there. When Rune would be not-so-subtle, it would upset Chaz at times:

Rune: "Let's get a move on!"

Chaz: "Stop trying to take control all the time!"

Rune softened towards Chaz a great deal after Alys asked him on her death bed to take care of Chaz. I think at the end of the game, it's apparent that Chaz latched onto Rune as a big brother (as you say) or parental figure. :)
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Srijita » Sat Sep 20, '08, 10:16 pm

[face=Times New Roman]Chaz responded like a threatened youngster when Rune was more overt in his guidance, so Rune changed his strategy, just as an empathic parent figure would. Leading from behind is much harder, but frequently more effective; it allows individuals to gain confidence in their own abilities.

I was struck Linda Hill’s remarks on leading from behind, inspired by a quotation of Nelson Mandela's. In fact, I like her interpretation so much that I’m going to reproduce it here (so humour me :wink: ).

I got the [leading from behind] idea from reading Nelson Mandela. I was reading his autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom...and I came across a passage in which Mandela recalls how a leader of his tribe talked about leadership:

“A leader,” he said, “is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

To me, this take on the shepherd image embodies the kind of leader we increasingly need: someone who understands how to create a context or culture in which other people are willing and able to lead… I probably should emphasize that leading from behind is not about abrogating responsibility. After all, the shepherd makes sure that the flock stays together. He uses his staff to nudge and prod if the flock strays too far off the track or into danger. In fact, leading from behind is hard work and involves some crucial responsibilities and judgment calls:… articulating the values that will inform the group; developing the talents of members so that they can flourish in their roles; setting boundaries for the group’s activities; and managing the tensions inherent in group life: deciding, for example, when to be supportive and when to be confrontational, when to improvise and when to impose a structure…

The more you want to get the best out of a group by letting people use their own judgment and take risks, the more you want to lead from behind.

Leadership
Source(s): Harvard Business Review
Author(s): Linda A. Hill

Full text: http://www.mbadepot.com/content/14950/

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Nov 23, '17, 12:59 am

Bumping up this former Image Of The Day!

Rika, Rune, and Wren!
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Thu Nov 23, '17, 12:24 pm

Nice group picture ! :)
Last edited by myau56 on Thu Nov 23, '17, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Apr 8, '23, 6:21 pm

Rune staying behind while the others leave.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Featured Images