Phantasy Star III

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

Phantasy Star III

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Dec 15, '09, 1:15 am

Least favorite or most favorite out of the series? For you personally, I mean. ;)

It seems to be the consensus that it is the least favorite of the series for most "Phans". In fact, the game is referred to a the "back sheep" of the series. That said, can it even be called "Phantasy Star" with accuracy to the game storyline?

Review of the game itself: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ps/ps3/rev ... trev1.html

Discuss.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: Phantasy Star III

Postby Lucas » Tue Dec 15, '09, 1:21 am

In my opinion I enjoyed PS I, II and IV way more. But I don’t hate Phantasy Star III it just felt a little different that’s all. It was more like a medieval game that incorporated some Sci-Fi elements (like Mieu and Wren being Cyborgs). I’ve played through it twice all up so I still have enough love for it.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 15, '09, 7:57 am

Neither least nor most favorite for me. I'd put it at second favorite, behind PSIV. It has some of my favorite characters and aspects of the series. Plus, if not for PSIII, I would have never played Phantasy Star at all, this site wouldn't exist, and we wouldn't have this community. ;)

I've found that the consensus on the status of this game isn't much of a consensus at all. To be sure, there are a lot of people that don't enjoy PSIII. It does have a lot of defenders, though.

Rune_Walsh wrote:That said, can it even be called "Phantasy Star" with accuracy to the game storyline?

Sure, why not? It's got a connection to the previous games and the required big boss. Granted the prior game connection could be a little stronger and is mostly unmentioned until late (for decent reasons given in the story). I'd also agree that the game is quite a different experience in terms of game play and graphics from the style of Phantasy Star II. Both of those are also true of PSII, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby ThugsRook » Tue Dec 15, '09, 7:09 pm

PSIII is my least favorite and i rarely bother to replay it.

it is an unfinished/rushed game, leaving the generational thing rather useless. especially the 3rd generation that all do the same thing.

there is very little to do in this game, besides taking very long walks.

...and the ending was horrible. (megid the aircastle after youve killed everything?)

:2c:
ThugsRook
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 15

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Dec 15, '09, 11:13 pm

A fellow Phan referred to Phantasy Star III as "Phantasy Star with moustaches." I love it. :D

For me personally, it isn't my least favorite; Phantasy Star II takes that award (storyline rocks but it is just too damn hard; I never finished it as a result). However, PSIII is definitely a departure from the series. True as Thoul says, the characters are pretty great, and you have the main boss and even the same techniques (Megid/Megido), but I concur with ThugsRook in that you never get to use it, which is lame.

The best part about Phantasy Star III is the fact that you get to choose your wife and, subsequently, path. Sort of misogynistic in a way, that all these women are just dying to marry you, and you get to have your pick of the harem, which is campy. Fun, but campy.

The graphics are pretty great too, but I have to agree with those who have given the game not-so-great reviews in that the monsters aren't the best; you have these floater garbage piles to fight. Oh, and naked women.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby hugues » Wed Dec 16, '09, 5:35 pm

I've always thought PSIII was bashed a bit more than it deserved. If you take a microscope to any of the classic games there are plenty of things to complain about. For example, PSIII has a lot of pointless walking around but I think it's less than PSII. I can't count how many hours I spent going from the spaceport to the other locations on Dezo.. at least in PSIII you can eventually fly over everything.

In hindsight it does look dated and doesn't seem to have the longevity of the rest of the series. People who've never touched a PS game can probably start with II or IV and get into them right away, I don't think the same can be said about III. Compared to some other Genesis RPGs of the time it holds up better though.

Overall I'd put it after the original and PSII but before PSIV. Don't get me wrong, PSIV is a great game but I thought it tried to be too much like PSII and was too linear.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby MrKite » Wed Dec 23, '09, 10:23 pm

PSIII is my second favorite in the series after II! I also think it's one of the most innovative adventure games I ever played in my life! I can't think of any other adventure game that spans three generations where the character you play in the next generation depends on who you marry in the previous one. That was awesome! And Rhys and Mieu, like Rolf and Nei aren't just two of my favorite characters in the Phantasy Star saga, but also some of my Top 10 SEGA characters overall!
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu Dec 24, '09, 8:20 am

Phantasy Star III has its pros and cons. It's just unlike the other three in the series, so I can understand why some Phans refer to it as the "black sheep." Harsh, I know, but overall, I personally think it's a good game.

I'm currently playing it for like, the tenth time now, and you know what? The most implausable marriages include Rhys and Maia, and Nial and Alair. They don't know each other!

I know, I've been over this before, but I just felt like stating it again. :bang:

Personal fave route: Rhys x Lena, and then Nial x Laya.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 24, '09, 7:35 pm

Nial and Alair are the perfect example of marriage as an alliance instead of a relationship. Their union unites the two warring factions under one banner, but the two have barely even met. Rhys and Maia knew each other pretty well though. Neither one knew much about her past, but they had a month or so to get to know each other. That's more than everyone else in the game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu Dec 24, '09, 11:16 pm

Thoul wrote:Nial and Alair are the perfect example of marriage as an alliance instead of a relationship. Their union unites the two warring factions under one banner, but the two have barely even met.

Good point, Thoul. Being of a western culture, I'm thinking of marriage built on eros, and while that may seem ethnocentric, I'm also considering the whole medieval romance thingy that made Rhys chase after Maia. :wink: But while Nial and Alair's marriage can been seen as politically driven, to some, a marriage between Nial and Laya seems better, mostly because they spent a lot of time together and as a result, knew each other quite well. It is on that very basis (i.e., "knowing" someone you're marrying, as inarticulately stated in my previous post) that I am considering. Even if it was an arranged marriage, like Rhys and Lena were originally planned, they still could get to "know" each other and decide whether they want to marry that person.

That said, before Maia, Rhys didn't know Lena, and with Maia, Rhys didn't really "know" her either, because Maia didn't know who she really was. I think it was Srijita who made a quotation regarding this, that: "Before saying 'I love you', you have to first consider the 'I.'" For all we know, Maia, like her other people, was probably a hater of all things Orakian. Would her feelings change knowing who she really was, and would Rhys's feelings change knowing who she really was, too? Would Rhys be willing to give up his homeland and kingdom for her, still? Something to think about. I like to think that Rhys got to know Lena -- the real Lena who genuinely and unconditionally loved Rhys -- and yet considered the fact that their marriage would also unite Satera and Landen, as well. Regarding the pros and cons, doesn't a union between Rhys and Lena seem more compatible, and realistic?
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to Phantasy Star III