Phantasy Star II Text Adventures: Shelley

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Shelley

Shelley

View Gallery Page

Phantasy Star II Text Adventures: Shelley

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 29, '11, 12:04 am

This is Shelley, a young woman Rolf encounters during the journey told in his text adventure. When Rolf was eleven, he and Shelley lived in the same orphanage. The beginnings of romance were just starting to stir in their young lives when Rolf left Paseo, the orphanage, and Shelley for an extended period of sword training on Uzo Island (described as uninhabited, but still serviced by airline travel). On his return eight years later, Rolf learned that Shelley had been kidnapped. He quickly set out in search of her. On locating Shelley, Rolf was forced to fight; she attacked him, sporting the fierce expression we see in this scene. Rolf believes her to be a victim of mind control. In truth, Rolf himself is the one being manipulated and Shelley is a participant in a larger scheme.

Shelley also has the distinction of being only one of three people known to hold the title of an Agent of the Motavian government. The other two being Rolf himself, who is recruited to the job at the end of this game, and the hero of Phantasy Star Adventure.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Phantasy Star II Text Adventures: Shelley

Postby Tanith » Wed Jun 29, '11, 1:56 am

Rolf's game sure was odd.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 29, '11, 5:00 am

I'll agree with that. It's nothing like what I expected going in. Rolf's character as a kid is just the opposite. He's a very mellow fellow later on. I wouldn't have been so accepting of that ending reveal.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 29, '11, 12:24 pm

Interesting info regarding Shelley. I don't remember hearing much about her elsewhere.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tanith » Wed Jun 29, '11, 10:42 pm

Thoul wrote:I wouldn't have been so accepting of that ending reveal.

I would have thrown down my sword and said, "you people are nuts!" Well, maybe becoming an agent is so coveted that bizarre tests, including losing your entire teen years to training on Uzo, isn't all that bad, or maybe it was being named the commander's successor that sweetened the deal.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 29, '11, 11:19 pm

That whole Uzo thing makes no sense to me. The island's supposedly uninhabited, but there is airline service to it? Where do all the people who work at the airport live? After being there for eight years alone, Rolf is remarkably sane and healthy. All of that just doesn't add up.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tanith » Thu Jun 30, '11, 4:33 am

Yes, I had the same questions about the Uzo portion. I hope that Rolf continued to receive an education, maybe through the Mother Brain Network or a tutor we never saw? I just can't imagine sending a child to live alone like that for eight years. Scion is a huge continuity gaffe, too.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Shinuzzo » Mon Jan 9, '12, 6:50 pm

Okay, so she has green hair here and brown hair in Generation 2. Anyone else think that the real Shelley was busy during the kidnapping, and they got everyone's favorite thief to play her?
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Thoul » Mon Jan 9, '12, 7:46 pm

That would fit in perfectly with the overall plot line of the game. The whole story is crazy enough that I wouldn't bat an eye if a secret Shir appearance was added in.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 3, '12, 9:27 pm

Interesting picture and good introduction to one of the PSII text adventure. A training in Uzo island ? Uzo is really one of the name that in the 3 "main" Phantasy Star (for me PS III IS in the PS, don't misunderstand me) : a town in the I and the IV, and an island in the II...and the Rolf version of the text adventures ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Next

Return to Featured Images