Symbolic representations of Mother Brain

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

Symbolic representations of Mother Brain

Postby Lucas » Wed May 6, '09, 2:34 am

How long has it been since I posted a new thread :p
Anyways I don’t know if any of you have noticed this or not but the other day because I have been replaying Phantasy Star II lately I’ve been carefully checking the entire game out. The game of course starts with the title screen I took a little bit of an in depth look at Mother Brain who appears twice on the screen. On the left side her face is somewhat evil. Look at her eyebrows they slope down as if she is angry and her face in general has a somewhat evil appearance to it. On the right side however her face is more relaxed her eyebrows are comfortably just sitting above her closed eye and she also looks a little younger in the face and appears much calmer. Next are the hands on the left Mother Brains hand is pointing down on Mota possibly symbolising Danger, Death and Destruction (triple D :p ). On the left the calmer Mother Brain has her hand raised above Mota symbolising Protection and Hope and it appears as if she is reaching out for peace. Anyways it was just something I had a philosophical look into. Would any of you agree or do you think the game designers just placed the title screen out like that because they felt like it?

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Re: Symbolic representations of Mother Brain

Postby Thoul » Wed May 6, '09, 7:13 am

The left one reminds me of a person expecting someone to kiss the hand. Like a queen expecting someone to show fealty by kneeling and kissing the back of the hand. The other one is sort of lifting up the top planet, perhaps symbolizing how Mother Brain advanced the technology of Algo.

There's a lot of interpretations one can draw from it, but the designers definitely intended this to be more than a pretty picture. There are too many ways it can be applied for that to be the case.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Wed May 6, '09, 8:31 am

Thoul wrote:There's a lot of interpretations one can draw from it, but the designers definitely intended this to be more than a pretty picture. There are too many ways it can be applied for that to be the case.

Yeah I totally agree with that :)

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Wed May 6, '09, 1:26 pm

I've always noticed the faces but never the placement of the hands. Quite an astute philosophical approach in interpretation there Lucas! :up:
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed May 6, '09, 3:45 pm

I really like that interpretation, Thoul. It seems to make sense, given Mother Brain's role in Algo in PSII.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby ThugsRook » Wed May 6, '09, 10:16 pm

i think it represents the double edged sword of an all encompassing government/control.
ThugsRook
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 15

Postby Lemina » Thu May 7, '09, 12:25 am

Y'know, I never really looked at the picture carefully enough. That's neat! It's like Thoul mentioned, it's gotta be more than a pretty picture.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Return to Phantasy Star II