Phantasy Star Generations remake playthrough

Continue the story of Algo in side story, remake, and collection games.

Phantasy Star Generations remake playthrough

Postby xellos667 » Sun Jul 11, '10, 10:37 pm

So last Friday, I decided to give the first Generation remake another chance. You see, I was blocked near the place where you needed to pay a Motavian in the village surrunded by poison gas, so that he told you about the location of the Mirror Shield. Problem was...no Motavian wanted to talk to me, and with no knowledge of Japanese, I was pretty much stuck...Until I realized you needed to buy a special item on Parma in the town where you find the Gas Mask. And from there, I managed to finally beat the game yesterday, with my entire party at LV100. Hurray!!!

Now I began the second Generation remake, and already I like it more than the first. I'm about the get the Record just after getting Amy, and from what I can tell, unlike the first one, you can play this one a lot more by your memory of the original. But unlike the first Generation remake, this game is as hard as the original (the Generation 1 remake was a piece of cake). So that means a lot of grinding :(

So to those who have finished the Generations game, I have a few questions:

1-In Generation 1, after you beat the game, is there anything special to do, like optional dungeon or boss...I guess not, but I want to ask anyway

2-In Generation 2, will I have to do a lot of backtrack and talk to everyone at one point, or is my first impression a good one, and I can pretty much play by memory of the Original

3-About this whole revival of Nei who ask a clear save of the first one, the second one beaten at least one, and a very convoluted way of triggering the revival, is it really as hard as everyone make it to be to resurrect her? Did anyone managed to do it? Because from what I've read so far, since I have no japanese knowledge, I don't plan on restarting the game if it's that hard to do.

4. And about the Visiphone, since we now store our extra items at our home and not at the Central Tower, and that the Level Cap is higher than 50, at which place does Shir need to steal it, and at what level does she need to be to steal it?

Also, you can talk about your experiences on the Generation remake
Last edited by xellos667 on Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Re: Phantasy Star Generations remake playthrough

Postby PSP » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:10 pm

xellos667 wrote:1-In Generation 1, after you beat the game, is there anything special to do, like optional dungeon or boss...I guess not, but I want to ask anyway

Not really. Near the end of the game you can purchase the soundtrack from a shop, and there are also healing items you can find as well as a side-quest where you can relay messages between a group of siblings who will give you cash and items in return. No hidden dungeons or bosses though after beating the game.

2-In Generation 2, will I have to do a lot of backtrack and talk to everyone at one point, or is my first impression a good one, and I can pretty much play by memory of the Original?

It's pretty much playable with your memory of the original game. Some of the dungeons have their layouts changed, but there aren't any massive "talk to these people in this order" flags that stop your progress like in PSG:1.

3-About this whole revival of Nei who ask a clear save of the first one, the second one beaten at least one, and a very convoluted way of triggering the revival, is it really as hard as everyone make it to be to resurrect her? Did anyone managed to do it? Because from what I've read so far, since I have no japanese knowledge, I don't plan on restarting the game if it's that hard to do.

It's as convoluted as people say, if you don't know Japanese. Not for the faint of heart. Still, it's a nice bonus they added.

Also, you can talk about your experiences on the Generation remake

Liked the first one but felt it needed a little work and loved the second one almost completely. My only real complaint with the second one is that I wish they had incorporated the combination attacks from PSIV. Still, I enjoyed it a lot.

I'll have to replay them some time...
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby xellos667 » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:12 pm

By the way PSP, I added a fourth question in my above post, if you know the answer to that one, it would be great :)
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby xrick » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:15 pm

Right now, I'm in Lv68 and grinding right at the Air Castle Entrance, fighting the RobotPolices (each group gives a wooping 31000EXP)... I tried beating the Black Dragon at Lv65 and with having just learned how to use Crystal Combos...

What Lv you recommend me to manage to beat quite well the Black Dragon?
Do I really need to get myself at Lv100 to beat the game?

And yes, by what I've read you have to go through HELL to get Nei's Revival Event, as you have to talk to everyone in every town until Climatrol, and gotta have your party with certain members at certain times... Very painstaking indeed...

Also, can someone tell me what are the changes in going through Nei's Revival Event?
Gathering people interested in voicing their wish of seeing the PSTrilogy completed, namely PS4Remake done, and localised outside Japan, check here please: Phantasy Star Generation Trilogy Misc Stuff
Let's all join together on this cause, please!
xrick
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 22

Postby xellos667 » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:20 pm

I admit that the Black Dragon was the first boss to ever gave me a Game Over in this game. At that point I just said to myself "So that's how you want to play???", since I was always relying on my own skills to win every battle, not using any items like someone said in a FAQ. The Air Castle is an awesome place to power-level. It took me 2-3 hours and I was level 100, and beat the crap out of the Black Dragon, Lashiec and Dark Falz. With Physical&Magical barrier, and Shifta on everyone, you'Re pretty much godly. Really, it so quick, 24 hours, and I was done with the game at LV100. And that's counting all the time I was turning in circle because I didnt know what to do!!!
Last edited by xellos667 on Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby xrick » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:21 pm

For that I have two good GameFAQs guides (one of them seems to be gone, try checking them on PSCave's PSG:1 section), PSCave's Dungeon Maps and Lunar's RPG Guides (Wikipedia have the links for both Generation Games).

What a pain... I know Lv100 is the more safe Lv to finish the game and that leveling-up where I am makes it even faster, but it's quite the bore...
Gathering people interested in voicing their wish of seeing the PSTrilogy completed, namely PS4Remake done, and localised outside Japan, check here please: Phantasy Star Generation Trilogy Misc Stuff
xrick
Explorer
Explorer

Postby PSP » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:23 pm

Oh, sure. The Visiphone is still at Central Tower, you just walk in and leave over and over as usual if memory serves. I can't remember what level I had Shir at, I think I just had her at Level 10 like the original game.

And what do you mean "what are the changes," xrick?

For what it's worth, I definitely wasn't Level 100 when I beat PSG:1. I'd have to check my old save, but I think I was more in the Level 50-60 range.
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Postby xellos667 » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:26 pm

I always find leveling in Traditional RPG is a very Zen experience :) But that's just me. I used the tiny guide on gamefaqs here and there myself, and for the rest, I pretty did it on my own. Hopefully, Generation 2, from PSP answer, will be do-able without any guide, which I like. I hate being in front of the computer while playing

And thanks for the answer to my 4th question PSP, thats all I needed to know to play without any more help from there :)
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby PSP » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:27 pm

No problem, enjoy. Like I said, I really enjoyed PSG:2 (then again, PSII was always my second favorite in the series, next to PSIV).
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Postby xrick » Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:29 pm

Changes I mean what of the story gets different by having Nei in the party after Amedasu/Climatrol?

Also... WHAT?!!! Lv50/60? No way!!! I was at Lv60 and still got almost beaten by the Frost Dragon!
Yeah... I didn't know how to use the Crystals at that time... But I'm sure it would still cost alot.

And yeah, PS4 too is my favorite... The reason why I wanted it's remake so much...
Last edited by xrick on Sun Jul 11, '10, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xrick
Explorer
Explorer

Next

Return to Other Classics