Alis in Gaiden...

Continue the story of Algo in side story, remake, and collection games.

Alis in Gaiden...

Postby Thoul » Sat Jul 28, '07, 6:16 am

After her adventures in the first game Alis returned for another in PS Gaiden. When she appears in the game, she tells the main heroine, Mina, a secret about her relation to Alis. In the original game, Mina is Alis' clone, but a fan translation changed it to Alis' daughter. Which version of this twist do you think is better?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Sat Jul 28, '07, 6:23 am

either way its both weird, mina's hair is green and alis' hair somehow turned from brunette to purple..
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Re: Alis in Gaiden...

Postby Tsunami » Sat Jul 28, '07, 3:14 pm

They could've just stuck Alis in there to appeal to fans. The idea of her appearing again and bearing no resemblance to her former self is a very silly one. As far as the twists go... No opinion here, really. :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Jul 29, '07, 2:08 am

Tsunami wrote:They could've just stuck Alis in there to appeal to fans. The idea of her appearing again and bearing no resemblance to her former self is a very silly one. As far as the twists go... No opinion here, really. :p
Agreed. The connections between that game to the series is tenuous, at best. The storyline twist bothered me a bit, seeming that Alis was so much weaker than her daughter. I was expecting some super-character, and she came on a level comparable to the lost gnome, (I forgot his name).

I didn't know the translation altered that point. I'd rather Mina was a clone than Alis was a neglectful mother!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 29, '07, 11:09 am

So, you think that maybe it isn't even really Alis? She does look a lot different in the game than she did in the art in the manual (which is her more traditional look).
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Neithird » Sun Jul 29, '07, 6:59 pm

I think it is Alis. Appearances and weak connections aside, the story point is clear - it's meant to be her. On the twist, I like the clone angle better. I mean, look at them:

ImageImage
They look exactly the same except for the colors.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Celeith » Sun Jul 29, '07, 11:35 pm

i think the ending of this game is weird, i dont know if it was the fan translation or the real thing but at the end mina and whats his name after alis leaves end up having sex or so i've read, its just weird cuz you never expect to see that in a old style game =P
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Jul 30, '07, 1:20 am

Neithird wrote:I think it is Alis. Appearances and weak connections aside, the story point is clear - it's meant to be her. On the twist, I like the clone angle better. I mean, look at them:

ImageImage
They look exactly the same except for the colors.
Ha! I didn't notice that when I played, but you're right! Fun with Paintbrush!

kaloes wrote: think the ending of this game is weird, i dont know if it was the fan translation or the real thing but at the end mina and whats his name after alis leavesend up having sex or so i've read, its just weird cuz you never expect to see that in a old style game =P
:o ?!??! Not in my game!? Who put that on wikipedia?? Here's the ending I remember, quoted from phantasystar.net: You appear back in
Tedo, and at Old Rob's, Alis informs you that even though Cablon is dead, "A greater evil is awakening. Not in Copto.. still, I must..." (at which Mina gets upset that her newly-found mother will abandon her again). She says she's needed, to save the Algol system (again). "The End."
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 30, '07, 7:21 pm

:eyebrow: That's an example of why I rarely consider Wikipedia a reliable source of information. I've never heard of that ending anywhere but there. I think it was only added to get attention. :stir:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Jul 31, '07, 12:53 am

Well, it's a free market idea. If no one steps up and confirms that bizarre ending in the Japanese version, I'll edit the page!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Next

Return to Other Classics