Phantasy Star generation:1: Meet the Wizard

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Meet the Wizard

Meet the Wizard

View Gallery Page

Re: Phantasy Star generation:1: Meet the Wizard

Postby Thoul » Sat Jul 21, '12, 8:09 pm

Great skit, Snorb. :lol: Lutz's room is really bare. I hope he never gets turned around and confuses his corners! :knockout:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Sun Jul 22, '12, 12:14 am

myau56 wrote:Ah you were speaking about the "Crystal" Damoa is giving us after his little quizz ! Ok but that's a "long crystal version" so no crystal ball I think ! You can see it HERE : http://www.pscave.com/ps1/items/protection.shtml
You made an interesting point, but I have something to say in my defense =)

I believe those images came from the US Manual and not every picture from there can be trusted or (IMO) be considered valid. It is true that they were inspired in some pictures from the Japanese manual and official artwork (both made by the game artists/staff). However, some of them are inaccurate, some mistaken and some others didn't event existed and had to be invented specifically to the US manual.

For instance, they mistook some shields. They gave Bronze Shield the picture of Iron Shield; Because of that they had to invent another picture for Iron shield that didn't exist. They also had to invent a picture for Perseus shield.

Same happened with Myau's weapons. They used the Silver Tusk (US:Silver Fang) picture for US:Iron Fang and had to invent a new picture for Silver Tusk.

And keys

Some other items that came out of the blue were the Amber Eye (Carbuncle Eye), Laconian Pot, Damoa Crystal, Soothing Flute, Burger (Perolymate), Cola, Passport, Roadpass, Flash(Search Light), Magic Lamp (Light Pendant), Compass, etc... (the game artists never made artwork for them)

... and others didn't had an artwork until PSIV came out:
(To me it would made more sense if the Aero Prism picture was the Damoa Crystal and vice-versa... but since they were using their "creative freedom" for the manual doesn't really matter)

Well, since the Damoa Cristal is on the list of the "invented drawings" I think we can't really tell if the item has that shape or not... so the possibility could still be open.
Last edited by newsblade on Sun Jul 22, '12, 2:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 22, '12, 1:25 am

newsblade wrote:I believe those images came from the US Manual and not every picture from there can be trusted or (IMO) be considered valid. It is true that they were inspired in some pictures from the Japanese manual and official artwork (both made by the game artists/staff). However, some of them are inaccurate, some mistaken and some others didn't event existed and had to be invented specifically to the US manual.

Some of these pictures were also used in the Japanese strategy guide book for PS1. I can't spot a date in that book, so I'm not sure if the pictures originated in the US manual or the guide book. The guide book's version are colored (but not like those above - that's a fan coloring), while the manual's are not. The guide book also doesn't include the pictures labeled in the US manual as Burger, Cola, Amber Eye, Crystal, Prism, Silver Fang, Miracle Key, Sphere and Torch. There's a different picture for the Sphere, the Iron Fang US picture is labeled as シルバータスク (Silver Tusk). The Burger and Cola are pictured in their original forms, but those other items are just omitted entirely from what I can tell.

Of course, the guide book also has the laser gun picture on the サーベルクロー (Saber Claw) and that claw picture on the laser gun. So this book is not above reproach, either.

newsblade wrote:For instance, they mistook some shields. They gave Bronze Shield the picture of Iron Shield; Because of that they had to invent another picture for Iron shield that didn't exist. .

This is a symptom of a different problem I first noticed when working with PS: Deluxe Edition. The names of these two shields were reversed in the US localization. The Japanese game's アイアンシールド has all the properties (stats, cost, location) we would associate with the Bronze Shield in the US game, but that name translates directly as Iron Shield. Likewise the ボロンシールド has all the properties we think of as belonging to the Iron Shield, even though the name most closely translates to Bronze Shield. If you start up a new game in the Japanese game and go to Camineet's shop, you'll find the ボロンシールド (Bronze) there, but in the US version it's the Iron Shield.

This reversal carried over to the US manual as well. It labels the shield with the "V" as Iron and the shield with the bat wings as Bronze. The Japanese manual only has the bat wing shield, labeled as アイアンシールド. The strategy guide has both pictures, with アイアンシールド being the bat wing shield and ボロンシールド being the "V" shield.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Sun Jul 22, '12, 2:07 am

That explains a lot!
I'm "reading" that book now. Saber claw and Laser Gun are mixed up, but telepathy ball is much more accurate in that guide book.

OK, let's see if I understood:
US:Iron Fang = JP:Silver Tusk
US:Silver Fang = JP:Saber Claw
US:Iron shield = JP:Bronze Shield
US:Bronze Shield = JP:Iron Shield

After seeing that guide (it came before the US manual) I want to make a correction from my previous post:
Flash (Search Light), Magic Lamp (Light Pendant), Compass, Laconian Pot and Soothing Flute and the other 2 shields are there after all. (Sorry, my bad).

Still misses the other key, Amber Eye, Silver Fang, Aero Prism, Eclipse Torch and... Damoa Crystal. So, they only invented those 8 (including burger and cola) to the US manual.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Feb 26, '22, 5:40 pm

Bumping up this former image of the day.

Odin and Alis meet the Wizard!

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 28, '22, 1:26 pm

newsblade wrote:
myau56 wrote:Ah you were speaking about the "Crystal" Damoa is giving us after his little quizz ! Ok but that's a "long crystal version" so no crystal ball I think ! You can see it HERE : http://www.pscave.com/ps1/items/protection.shtml
You made an interesting point, but I have something to say in my defense =)

I believe those images came from the US Manual and not every picture from there can be trusted or (IMO) be considered valid. It is true that they were inspired in some pictures from the Japanese manual and official artwork (both made by the game artists/staff). However, some of them are inaccurate, some mistaken and some others didn't event existed and had to be invented specifically to the US manual.

For instance, they mistook some shields. They gave Bronze Shield the picture of Iron Shield; Because of that they had to invent another picture for Iron shield that didn't exist. They also had to invent a picture for Perseus shield.

Same happened with Myau's weapons. They used the Silver Tusk (US:Silver Fang) picture for US:Iron Fang and had to invent a new picture for Silver Tusk.

And keys

Some other items that came out of the blue were the Amber Eye (Carbuncle Eye), Laconian Pot, Damoa Crystal, Soothing Flute, Burger (Perolymate), Cola, Passport, Roadpass, Flash(Search Light), Magic Lamp (Light Pendant), Compass, etc... (the game artists never made artwork for them)

... and others didn't had an artwork until PSIV came out:
(To me it would made more sense if the Aero Prism picture was the Damoa Crystal and vice-versa... but since they were using their "creative freedom" for the manual doesn't really matter)

Well, since the Damoa Cristal is on the list of the "invented drawings" I think we can't really tell if the item has that shape or not... so the possibility could still be open.

Dear Newsblade ! Thank you for this whole and impressive explanation ! :o Never really saw that your answered my post and so it's very interesting ! Thank you so much for that :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Previous

Return to Featured Images