Phantasy Star fighting game

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Re: Phantasy Star fighting game

Postby Darkil » Wed Dec 30, '09, 8:31 pm

For the love of god it should have controls similar to Street Fighter's special moves. I like Mortal Kombat but if the moves required me to go up, down, left, b, a, x, up, up, up to do a stupid slash then I'd return it with a quickness.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Abominae » Mon Jan 11, '10, 10:00 pm

For (section omitted for overly hostile language) it's a Phantasy Star "Phan" game!

And this whole "Street Fighter is the only fighter that matters" is complete utter nonsense. I enjoyed beating the hell out of Sagat and Bison back in the day just like everyone else but when do you stop living in that moment and realize that there are new, perhaps cleaner (more effective + versatile = fun) ways of making fighters.

I drove my copy of Super Smash Bros. into the ground. It was just way too much fun. Super Smash Bros. Melee was an absolute beast that kept me, and very often my friends as well, occupied for countless hours. Brawl was a monster like no other before it and there was something particularly gratifying about crushing your enemies in this game that the previous games didn't pick up on. To call SSB anything but a top-tier fighter is taking away from everything the series has given us.

I can't tell you how many fighting games I've played that play EXACTLY like SF2 and they SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I used to own a copy of Primal Rage which was fun, but just didn't hold up (puking on your enemy was great). The streetfighter formula is tried and true, no doubt, but it's the streetfighter formula. You shouldn't try to emulate that game by wrapping skins over it and calling it something else.

It's like guys who still have their CD wallets loaded with Poison, Motley Crue, Queensryche, & Iron Maiden. It was great for it's time, but time has moved on, those bands have moved on and so should you. I still have my Crue, Maiden, Sabbath, Dio, Metallica, etc. cds... but I'm enjoying other bands right now.

Nostalgia is a cruel mistress if you never let go of the past.

(I know it seems like I'm bashing you, Lucas, and it's because I am. You're missing the point of fighting games if you're still hung up on SF2)

You want to make a Phantasy Star Fighting Game? Great. But let me give you some pointers to keep things smooth.

1) Fighting games these days run on a fast/very fast speed because the speed of games from back in the day was just too slow for most gamers. That's one thing that made SSB great. 4 people could beat the hell out of each other in less than 2 minutes with 3 lives to each person (I've done it. I R Mighty!!!). People enjoy whatever thrills a game has to offer, just remember not to make the game too fast or many gamers won't be able to keep up.

2) Shirtless/bikini clad/etc. is all well and good, but how will you justify this? Most fighting games featuring jiggling, floss adorned babes appeal to the gamers sex drive to make them want to play the game and often, there are sacrifices made to the game to allow for this marketing angle. If you're going to include this, do so without unneccessary sacrifice.

3) BALANCE YOUR CHARACTERS!!! Nothing sucks in a fighting game quite as much as a fighter who's obviously more dangerous than the rest (can you guess which fighting game I'm referring to? I'll give you a hint, it's got super heroes).

4) Put a team together and research everyone you consider. You might find out things about those people that they'd never tell you... things you need to know about a person before you give them your trust.
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 27

Postby Lucas » Thu Feb 25, '10, 3:29 am

Abominae wrote:(I know it seems like I'm bashing you, Lucas, and it's because I am. You're missing the point of fighting games if you're still hung up on SF2)

No I’m not missing the point of fighting’s games at all. I just prefer the old school 2D style fighting games over the 3D modern days ones and nothing will change that for me. 2D arcade fighters are what interest me the most in this genre. But I do respect what your saying that makes a fighting game great in your opinion too. And no I’m not hung up on SF2 I’m hung up on SF3 :p . Cheers buddy. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Oakley2284 » Sat Feb 27, '10, 2:24 am

i just want to tell an exemple... Look at all the sonic the hedgehog games. The game on Sega was so fun! But, the game after the sega like Sonic rider on PS2 or another stuff like that was less fun than the original 2D sonic...
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Flames of Yagami » Wed Aug 18, '10, 11:43 pm

I think the only way we'd see ps chars in a fighter is if they ever did a sega vs capcom (my names a dead giveaway that I want that lol)
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 19, '10, 2:58 am

Hm, Sega versus Capcom... what Sega characters would be in that? Sonic and friends are obvious, and we'd all hope for a good PS representation, but who else?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Aug 19, '10, 3:11 am

I could see them adding Billy Hatcher, Joe Musashi (Shinobi), Virtua Fighter, Alex Kidd, Kid Chameleon, Sketch Turner (Comix Zone), and maybe a PS character or two.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Flames of Yagami » Fri Aug 20, '10, 10:13 pm

Atlinsmere wrote:I could see them adding Billy Hatcher, Joe Musashi (Shinobi), Virtua Fighter, Alex Kidd, Kid Chameleon, Sketch Turner (Comix Zone), and maybe a PS character or two.

How about some from streets of rage ? Can't think of anyone else but Ecco although I haven't a clue on how you'd use him
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Fri Aug 20, '10, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Aug 20, '10, 10:14 pm

Aye, that too I suppose. I'm sure there is lots I missed that could go in. But yeah... >.>
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Flames of Yagami » Fri Aug 20, '10, 10:42 pm

I'm just gonna make a separate topic for SvC. The list would on for a while if I talked about it here
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Previous

Return to Classic Series