Huey's Adventure: Need Help!

Continue the story of Algo in side story, remake, and collection games.

Huey's Adventure: Need Help!

Postby Tanith » Thu Jun 10, '10, 5:50 am

Ugh. I'm so lazy. I don't have time to play Huey's adventure, so can anyone explain what goes on in this game? Anyone have screen shots, a walkthrough, or the script (I see there's an English patch available)? I've heard it's basically the beginning of PSIV: an investigation leads to weird creatures in the basement of Motavia Academy. Are there other characters? What are their names? Any specific date that the adventure takes place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm writing a Hugh story and I'd like to incorporate his text game if I can. Thank you! :)
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: Huey's Adventure: Need Help!

Postby Snorb » Thu Jun 10, '10, 6:29 am

Glad to be of service, Tanith!

Phantasy Star II: Hugh's Adventure takes place in the summer of AW 1284 [which means the Japanese PSII takes place in AW 1286?] in the city of Kvarts, on Motavia. Kvarts evidently isn't too far from Paseo, and has a local branch of Motavia University.

Rita Partridge is mentioned in this game. She's Hugh's girlfriend (and dammit I wish I actually played this before I started writing Fun in the Sun so I could get her last name right. Hmmm... cosmic retcon? Naah)

Rody is also mentioned- he's evidently the leader of a pack of thugs in the university who hate Hugh because he's dating Rita.

Hugh has a friend named Loyd at Motavia University- he loaned Hugh fifty Meseta he wants back so he can buy a lab coat.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tanith » Thu Jun 10, '10, 7:24 am

Yay! Thank you, Snorb!

Snorb wrote:Glad to be of service, Tanith!

Phantasy Star II: Hugh's Adventure takes place in the summer of AW 1284 [which means the Japanese PSII takes place in AW 1286?]
Now I'm totally confused, because I thought the Japanese version of PSII took place in 1284 and the English version took place in 1286. Maybe I need to redo my dates. I know the Biosystems recorder graph shows data collected up to 1286, so... maybe it is 1286.

Snorb wrote:Rita Partridge is mentioned in this game. She's Hugh's girlfriend (and dammit I wish I actually played this before I started writing Fun in the Sun so I could get her last name right. Hmmm... cosmic retcon? Naah)
Sure, why not?

Snorb wrote:Rody is also mentioned- he's evidently the leader of a pack of thugs in the university who hate Hugh because he's dating Rita.
University thugs! *starts snapping fingers as West Side Story's "The Rumble" plays in the background*

Snorb wrote:Hugh has a friend named Loyd at Motavia University- he loaned Hugh fifty Meseta he wants back so he can buy a lab coat.
Hehe. Loyd. I'm sorry, I get a kick out of the names they use for these characters. Loyd and Huey are pretty dopey names for aspiring scientists.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 10, '10, 3:50 pm

Nei's adventure, IIRC, firmly establishes PSII as AW 1284. Maybe Huey's just happens to take place in the same year but before Rolf sets out. It's been a while since I looked at all the dates, but I remember coming to a conclusion that PSII has to start in the last few months 1284, assuming the AW calendar uses the same months as our standard calendar.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Thu Jun 10, '10, 9:34 pm

Thoul wrote:...I remember coming to a conclusion that PSII has to start in the last few months 1284, assuming the AW calendar uses the same months as our standard calendar.
I'm pretty sure it does, since there's a newspaper in Skure that mentions April 11th.

Thanks for the help on the dates, too. Maybe Hugh's text game really does take place the same year as PSII? It makes Hugh's young age more sense, though it's really something that he went from student to "leading expert" in just a few months. Maybe the accident in the Biosystems lab was really fatal and caused a shortage of scientists and researchers, or maybe Hugh has a genius-level IQ. Also, it really shows just how screwed up Mother Brain is that the network and the government don't miss their leading biologist while he's busy with Rolf's mission.

In "The World of Phantasy Star" Hugh is written as being high-functioning autistic, and that's always interested me. That could explain why plants and animals have always been a huge interest in his life and why he rapidly excels to Motavia's #1 biologist by the time he's 19-20 years old. I'm actually thinking of writing Hugh as Asperger's. My son is Asperger's and I think it'd be a great opportunity to show that autism doesn't mean one is a social outcast.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 10, '10, 10:03 pm

Tanith wrote:I'm pretty sure it does, since there's a newspaper in Skure that mentions April 11th.

Yeah, it probably uses the same months. That one (I think it was August though? Not sure myself) is the only one we have named for sure, though. For all we know, Algo has 15 months in a year. ;)

Maybe Hugh's text game really does take place the same year as PSII?

It's definitely possible. There's only seven months between the end of Nei's Adventure and the start of PSII. I don't think I've played Hugh's yet, but there's no reason it couldn't be in the same year as far as I know. Some of the Text Adventures give actual dates, some don't. Kain's is AW 1281 I think.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Thu Jun 10, '10, 10:44 pm

Thoul wrote:Yeah, it probably uses the same months. That one (I think it was August though? Not sure myself) is the only one we have named for sure, though. For all we know, Algo has 15 months in a year. ;)
D'oh. You're right; it's August. Wrong month that starts with an A.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Icecypher » Wed Jul 29, '15, 11:43 pm

Thread resurrection powers, activate!

I found this thread and thought it was interesting (mainly because of Huey, perhaps?).

Some spoilers below, although they may not be so spoilery and may even be fine in a thread about this text adventure (even if I am 5 years late).

I think Huey is the expert on biomonsters because he is the only one who has actually studied and (not on purpose) created one. And defeated it, too. But I do not think the university really wanted to keep their "expert" close after what happened, so no one would stop Huey from leaving in order to join the heroes. :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 20, '17, 12:07 pm

Interesting revival topics ! So I'll do it again with some links !
About Huey's Adventure : the best is to go here : gamefaqs.com/genesis/951923-phantasy-st ... faqs/58808
! I'me sure many people have read that but... :)
(And that many of you know that there was patches to play all of those text adventures in english ! :))
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Other Classics