I would actually like to see a remake of PS Gaiden

Continue the story of Algo in side story, remake, and collection games.

I would actually like to see a remake of PS Gaiden

Postby TDG » Wed Dec 31, '14, 2:18 pm

Hello all,

Both Phantasy Star Gaiden and Adventure have always been some of the 'odd ducks' in the classic Phantasy Star franchise.
They are of course not part of the main storyline, and are more spin offs (definitely in gameplay when it comes to the two), but they exists and have somewhat added to the lore, some details on Algo society before PS2 and just a little on a certain character in PSG.

How weird it may sounds, I would actually like to see a remake of Phantasy Star Gaiden.
But before you think I have lost my mind, I don't exactly mean what the game is now and perhaps I could better describe it as a re-imagining of PSG.

Some core elements would be retained from the original, this taking place on the planet Copto, appearance of main characters Minima and Alec and other NPCs, the main story still involving Cablon.
But for the rest everything completely rebuild from the ground up.

I find it very frustrating that I can not draw, or at least not well as I have quite some visual concepts and examples I have in mind regarding what kind of changes I would like to do.

* The story for example would be greatly expanded and would include additional sub quests and side quests.

* Recruited companions would remain available during the game (and would be better balanced to remain useful), plus I would really like to add a new musk cat member to the team, a member of a tribe/clan/group of Musk cats that colonized Copto along with the Palmans.

* The style of the settlements would be completely ditched in favor for something similar to architecture style of PS1 and PS2. (manga futuristic looking, complete with hoover cars, moving walkways, and teleporters)
(for example I had in mind that rather than some medieval castle Cablon was imprisoned in the original Palman colony made from the starship that brough Alis and the colonists to Copto, but then again it could have been his original fortress/castle)

* Art style of characters and creatures would also be revised, making them look less like that they were drawn by Akira Toriyama. (I would like to go for a style similar to Phantasy Star Generation 1 but I also rather like the style of drawings in the PSG manual, a mix if possible)
One of the first enemies which style I really want to revise are the robot police, making them look less goofy and somewhat more fearsome/menacing.

* Better balanced gameplay and less unnecessary grinding that only frustrates the player.
Not sure about Magic/Techniques/ESP yet, perhaps the player characters would learn some skills themselves, while they can learn others at training centres in the various settlements.

And there are plenty more such changes I would like to implement to make this a better spin off to the main series.
Visually I have it in mind as something you would see on the Gameboy Advance (still love sprite art)

Perhaps a little pointless to write this down but I have been walking around with this idea for a while now.
TDG
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 40

Re: I would actually like to see a remake of PS Gaiden

Postby Icecypher » Thu Jan 8, '15, 12:30 am

Parma Ham wrote:
TDG wrote:Visually I have it in mind as something you would see on the Gameboy Advance (still love sprite art)

Bless you for this. :D I also still love sprite art. Especially if it's done in 8 or 16-bit era style. That's my favorite. :)

What about Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary style from the PSP? I love sprite art, as well (was sad that the FF III they brought to the PSP was the same as the one on the DS), but I like all the details current sprites can have. Have you seen the DuckTales game on PS3? :up:
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby TDG » Sun Jan 11, '15, 11:46 pm

Glad to see that others here would also be interested.
Any of the ideas I suggested sound interesting to you?

Some of my inspiration actually comes from that Legend of Mana remake that they did years ago for the GBA, updating the old Game Boy game.

Like with PS Adventure I always felt there were possibilities here, it would just require additional work and some basic expanding to make this a better spin off of the main series.
TDG
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby TDG » Mon Jan 12, '15, 7:53 pm

I hear you on the random encounters, I indeed grew tired of them in Generation 1 I am currently playing or any similar JRPGs.

Hmm, not sure if would be a good idea of putting roaming monsters on a map but it should work in dungeons right?

Damn, this is really one of those personal 'dream projects' I would like to complete along with an idea of my own that would take place between PS1 and 2. (I have written down some of my inspirations into the two PS forum RPG settings I am writing down)
TDG
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby TDG » Fri Jan 16, '15, 8:20 pm

Just had a look another walkthrough of PS Gaiden.

Guess what I am proposing is not just a 'remake' but almost a complete 're imaging' of this game regarding story, setting, character looks and so on to the point that it would basically be a different game with similar characters.

Still something I would like to see though as the condition it is now in Gaiden is quite forgettable.
TDG
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Zio_Falz » Fri Jan 16, '15, 9:22 pm

i think PS Adventure could use a good remake; but a reimagined remake, like transforming the gameplay into perhaps a different style of gameplay – – storyline is good, I just don't see a lot of people enjoying a text adventure when it could be something much more.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby TDG » Sat Jan 17, '15, 1:57 am

Hi Parma Ham

Parma Ham wrote:
TDG wrote:Still something I would like to see though as the condition it is now in Gaiden is quite forgettable.

Well, not everything needs to be a masterpiece to be fun, especially when you consider how old it is and the platform it was released on. :)

That random encounter rate really needs tweaked, though. Ouch. :)

I do think something better can be done with the story to be honest, but I admit that it would only be a remake in name only.

Zio_Falz wrote:i think PS Adventure could use a good remake; but a reimagined remake, like transforming the gameplay into perhaps a different style of gameplay – – storyline is good, I just don't see a lot of people enjoying a text adventure when it could be something much more.

Funny, I was actually thinking something similar a couple of days ago "What if PS Adventure was remade as a regular PS game?"
Were you also thinking something like that.
TDG
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Zio_Falz » Sat Jan 17, '15, 2:56 am

TDG wrote:Funny, I was actually thinking something similar a couple of days ago "What if PS Adventure was remade as a regular PS game?"
Were you also thinking something like that.

Indeed I was thinking that. It's not a bad story, and it would do well I guess it was a traditional Phantasy Star game or even some other reimagining in some sort of RPG style. Not necessarily like Phantasy Star Online, but there are other styles in addition to the traditional Phantasy Star RPG games as well. After all, Chrono Cross did well taking the concept of Radical Dreamers and turning which in turn was a follow-up to Chrono Trigger as a text adventure game, and developed reimagined into a role-playing game.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby TDG » Sat Jan 17, '15, 2:37 pm

This is basically what drives me to want to remake or re imagine Gaiden (and adventure) or make up my RPG settings (I have another one also in mind).
Personally I think the era between Phantasy Star 1 and 2 is the most interesting to explore before the arrival of Mother Brain, Algo society was at its most advanced with various settlements across the planets (and probably even in space), space travel was common and not something mythical, and more reasons.

Oh I am sure a Phantasy Star V could be imagined, or I could come up with a RPG setting that takes place long after IV but this is the period I like the most. (I do like Phantasy Star IV mind you)
TDG
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby myau56 » Thu Feb 23, '17, 12:17 pm

Sure : there are so many ideas to have and make some remakes of both PSG and PSA ! In fact, those two spin offs are out of the main serie (as are always spin offs ! ;) ) and they are not reals GREAT games (but good ones !) but could have been far more better than that ! Especially PSA.
Did someone finally tried to make a remake of PSG ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Next

Return to Other Classics