Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 

Gaiden Cover

Gaiden Cover

View Gallery Page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, '12, 12:02 am 
This artwork was designed for the front cover of Phantasy Star Gaiden. Minina is front and center, which is appropriate given her large role in the story. Alec and the android Dalos, who are also playable characters, are also featured. Oddly, for this picture the characters do not quite match the colors used in most of the other official artwork for the game.

This illustration was partly designed to entice new players unfamiliar with Phantasy Star to buy the game. Do you think it would have been successful in this task if the game had been released outside of Japan?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, '12, 10:31 am 
Ah another Phantasy Star Gaiden illustration :) The main illustration. Succesfull ? Hard to tell and say but the illustration, with a girl (like the first one !!) as an heroine could have been a solid argument.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, '12, 7:56 pm 
It's really pretty artwork, that's for sure. I think it could have been successful, based on the artwork alone. Alec has a familiar look about him, somewhere in the realm of Link or maybe Nigel from Land Stalker (among other fantasy games, I'm sure). It's just a popular type of character design that a large audience would be able to relate to.

Mina is so cute!

Dalos fits in nicely with the techno look of the early 1990s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, '12, 9:15 pm 
Ah, the hero of Landstalker is named Nigel in the US version In Europe, it was Ryle :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 1, '12, 5:05 pm 
Yep! It was Nigel here. ^^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 1, '12, 8:15 pm 
In fact I known it already ! because I put all my games are in english since many years :) or are put on US version if the european one is in french :)

And Landstalker is so great...
yes Mina is really cute :)

Last edited by myau56 on Wed Feb 1, '12, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 1, '12, 8:57 pm 
I always thought Alec looked a lot like some of the Shining Force characters. I suppose they share some elements of that popular design type. My mind just goes to Shining Force first. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 1, '12, 9:12 pm 
Ah Shining Force...what a serie ! Fantastic...just started to play (at last !!) the D version ! on Mega-CD (or SEGA-CD for those who are living in the USA ;) )

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]