Phantasy Star generation:1: Main Title

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Main Title

Main Title

View Gallery Page

Phantasy Star generation:1: Main Title

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 24, '12, 12:04 am

After getting past the introductory title screen, we arrive at last to the main title screen. This one is clearly based on that of the original Master System game. Our heroine Alis once again floats on a field of stars to the right, while the game logo and starting options bring our eyes to the left. Even before beginning to play, the enhancements we can expect to see are foreshadowed by the addition of Alis' companions. All three are given larger roles in the adventure to come.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Phantasy Star generation:1: Main Title

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 24, '12, 10:12 pm

Ah the second screen of the Phantasy Star generation 1 on PS2 ! So great title, the "artwork" is fantastic !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby enigmaopoeia » Sat Feb 25, '12, 12:23 am

One of my favorite artwork for this game.

I especially am a bit curious to know what settings you used to capture this screenshot, if you are playing via emulation.
~ enigmaopoeia
enigmaopoeia
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 33

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 25, '12, 5:23 am

I am using emulation; PSCX2 0.9.8 to be precise. Older versions of PSCX2 run the game, but had very choppy graphics compared to this version. Of course, I've also got a better video card now than I used to have, which probably helps somewhat. ;)

I can't recall exactly which settings I've changed; I think I left most at the default values and concentrated on just the graphics plugin settings. I run the game at native PS2 resolution, which turns out to be 640x448. Interlacing is on "Weave bff" to clear up a lot of vertical screen shaking without blurring the pictures. This screen and most cutscenes we'll see are taken through the emulator's built in screenshot tool.

Now, that's for static screen shots. For sprites that change quickly, the emulator saves images too slowly and misses frames. To get sprites, I'm using a utility similar to Animget. Changing the Aspect Mode setting in the emulator to "Fit to Window/Screen" is important for that. I'll be posting battle animation sprite sheets made from screens captured this way at some point.

These settings don't work well for moving cutscenes (like the one that pans up Lutz's body); those turn out choppy. I think walking sprites might be choppy too, but I haven't tested capturing those yet. I need to try some alternative settings for those situations at some point, but my initial tests for the Lutz pan are not promising. :worried:

I think those are the important settings in the emulator, but there are lots of settings! If you have a specific question about another, I'll be happy to look at it and post what I'm using. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Sat Feb 25, '12, 9:58 am

Thanks for all the precisions, Thoul : very interesting to have the characteristics of the emulators and all.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 30, '21, 10:31 pm

Nice image.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Wed Dec 1, '21, 1:05 pm

This main title is great here ! (as are al the main titles of course ! ;)). :fiery:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to Featured Images